Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2021, 15:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Now, Tesla introduces a touchscreen gear-shifter!

Tesla has introduced a touchscreen gear-shifter in the updated Model S and Model X.

Now, Tesla introduces a touchscreen gear-shifter!-redmodelsglassroof.jpg

These cars will no longer come with a gear selector lever or stem. Instead, if gears are to be shifted, it will have to be done using a controller located on the touchscreen of the cars. The touchscreen will feature a sliding selector which is a small icon of the car) located in the upper left corner of the touchscreen to select D or R, while N mode can be selected on the screen through the shortcut menu.

Now, Tesla introduces a touchscreen gear-shifter!-tesla-shifter.jpg

The new cars will use artificial intelligence autopilot and sensors and automatically determines and selects the most appropriate mode. However, they are not fully autonomous vehicles and there will be times when the driver will have to take control. Hence, there is a selector provided on the touchscreen.

Now, Tesla introduces a touchscreen gear-shifter!-tesla_new_ui_3.jpg

Here's a video of how the new gear selector is to be used:

Apart from the touchscreen, there will be another way of selecting gears. A button on the right side of the steering wheel can also be used to switch between D and R. The selected option will be displayed on the screen.

Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla Motors has tweeted, "After you drive without using a PRND stalk/stick for a few days, it gets very annoying to go back & use a shifter!".

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Agency (NHTSA), the new gear selector system does not violate any federal motor vehicle rules.

Source: Torque News, Teslarati, VarietyInfo

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd April 2021 at 15:48.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 20:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Now, Tesla introduces a touchscreen gear-shifter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla Motors has tweeted, "After you drive without using a PRND stalk/stick for a few days, it gets very annoying to go back & use a shifter!".

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Agency (NHTSA), the new gear selector system does not violate any federal motor vehicle rules.
As lnng as the laws are not in place, Tesla is very clever in finding ways to get rid of hardware and save money.

As for what CEO of Tesla tweeted, may be he has a point. We will see when we start using such features. When I got my model 3, 2 years ago, i thought I might miss the lack of physical buttons to control the HVAC, audio, steering, ORVM and seat settings. But after 2 years of using it, I really don't feel the need for them as most comfort settings are linked to the key of the user. Let's see how clever/dumb this touch gear-shifter is going to be!
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks