Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Xiaomi announces entry into global EV segment

Xiaomi is one company who have given a bunch of excellent products to Indian middle class. I have their mobile phones, trimmer, headphones, air purifier, fitness band and may be some more gadgets, all are extreme VFM products. Especially in mobiles their products are priced at par with Micromax etc. and are way better.
BhayanaV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
So, now cars will also have the passengers feeling the heat of the battery?

I remember a friend telling me once, "Take MI phone to Leh, if you feel cold, just start operating the phone"!
You had me rolling
You're right though, they can't even configure the phone batteries to not over-heat and they're talking about EV. Let's hope they've done their research.
911CarerraS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:03   #18
BHPian

Xioami will need to do a MG if they want to be successful in India.

For a lot of the general public, negative sentiment and lack of 'prestige' value is associated with anything Chinese. Whether this is right or wrong, and to what extent, is debatable. Anything that screams cheap will not sell as an automobile in India.. case in point : The Nano.

Xioami need to find a decrypt old brand that they can bring back to life and hide their roots.
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:48   #19
BHPian

MI phones have pathetic OS and loaded with all crap. Will be interesting to see if they have a similar pricing model for cars as they wouldn't be able to make lot of money from advertisements, what ever it is I wouldn't risk my family and myself, by purchasing a MI electric car as and when they launch it.
Chillout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:03   #20
BHPian

Soon we will be seeing MI EV flash sales on Amazon and Flipkart, where all EV's will be sold out in 2 seconds. Also touch screen will also play ads along with music and navigation.
partishs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 19:29   #21
BHPian

Observing the growth and diversification of Xiaomi, a few years back, I had told my better half that they may introduce cars too. And Voila! It seems to become a reality. I was always interested in EVs, especially after the Tesla revolution. But I feel it's companies like Tata and (may be) Xiaomi are going to make it more accessible.

If they enter India, there are presumptions that will work against them like the Anti-China sentiments. But let's not forget that it was them who made a decent phone affordable to the common man. They are the reason why we have good Samsung (and other companies) phones at cheap prices and why competition like Realme exist. The growth of such companies is a reflection of what the customer expectations of our country are. Value for money take precedence over anything and that's the reason why brands like Apple finds it hard to take a strong foothold despite having great products. Even when Xiaomi makes slightly premium phones without any ads, they don't sell nearly as well as the cheap ones.

Another misconception is the reliability. I have had high end phones from major brands fail both in terms of hardware and software while even the first Redmi 1s that I got to checkout the brand still works without even requiring a battery change and so are the other products from them. It's only natural that a few batches from any manufacturer is going to have some reliability issue and when a brand sells in millions, the numbers scale up accordingly. We had ridiculous Chinese phones and other products selling here once, and a few few of them under Indian brand names that were total let downs. That has definitely clouded the judgements while many conveniently forget the fact that they are likely to have manufactured over 70-90% of the components of any electronic device that we are using now.

I really do wish Indian startups rise to the challenge and comes up with world class products. We don't have a shortage of engineering talents and I hope they are going to come up with the next Billion Dollar brands and products. There are definitely some glimpses of hope like Ather, Ultraviolette etc. For my first EV, as things go, it's Tata that I'm rooting for.
Old 2nd April 2021, 19:45   #22
BHPian

Anything coming from china err west/mainland Taiwan is shady and to be avoided no matter how technically good.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th April 2021 at 08:43. Reason: Political reference deleted
Old 2nd April 2021, 19:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Having faced the ordeal of visiting one of their service centres for repair of a smartphone of theirs, I must say that Tata/ Skoda ASSs are going to face some stiff competition
Also, also think they would have updates every week( as opposed to once every 6months), so Hyundai et al are also going to face the heat
I had the opposite experience. The service center was very well organised and the staff were super nice. The issue was the capacitive touch buttons not working on my Mi Max 2. Within 5 minutes they diagnosed this as needing a screen replacement. I opted to wait and within about 45 minutes they replaced the screen and gave it back to me at no charge. The replacement was perfectly done and the phone looked factory new with no gaps. A really pleasant experience.
Old 2nd April 2021, 20:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
had the opposite experience.
Even this (polar opinions) is hallmark Tata ASS experience
Old 2nd April 2021, 20:12   #25
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...rtnership.html (Toyota Tesla Partnership)
Meanwhile, while we berate Japanese automakers for their laidback approach to EVs, this is what's going on behind the screens.
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 21:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
You're right though, they can't even configure the phone batteries to not over-heat and they're talking about EV.
Which Mi phone are you using right now? I had used Mi Max 2 for 2 years, my wife is still using her Poco F1 which is running into 3rd year of ownership, majority of my friends as well as colleagues are using Redmi Note 8 Pro, Redmi Note 9 Max Pro and recently Redmi Note 10 Max Pro too. There is no over heating as such. And these phones are good mid rangers which can compete with most flagships.
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 21:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Which Mi phone are you using right now? I had used Mi Max 2 for 2 years, my wife is still using her Poco F1 which is running into 3rd year of ownership, majority of my friends as well as colleagues are using Redmi Note 8 Pro, Redmi Note 9 Max Pro and recently Redmi Note 10 Max Pro too. There is no over heating as such. And these phones are good mid rangers which can compete with most flagships.
I had Redmi note 3 with which I could make grilled toast sandwich. My brother has Redmi note 7 and he also tells me how using the device in Delhi winters is a blessing
Old 2nd April 2021, 23:42   #28
BHPian

I pray that Xiaomi does not consider their cars as advertising opportunities.

Possibility 1: The rear windshield acts transparently from inside and as a display outside. Your car plays advertisements according to the location and situation.

Possibility 2: You stop in the signal and your car plays an advertisement on the infotainment screen. Let's hope that car doesn't ask you to watch a short skippable advertisement before obeying a certain command ( Accelerate, Brake, etc)

Jokes apart, I hope that Xiaomi can give many manufacturers a run for their money if they come up with a similar value proposition, but the industry is not as easy to crack as the mobile industry. Let's see how Xiaomi is planning its brand positioning in the Automotive industry.

Last edited by albertprince : 2nd April 2021 at 23:43.
Old 3rd April 2021, 00:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
I had Redmi note 3 with which I could make grilled toast sandwich. My brother has Redmi note 7 and he also tells me how using the device in Delhi winters is a blessing
Please try a new generation Mi phone and update the feedback.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 04:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Please try a new generation Mi phone and update the feedback.
I appriciate your opinion but the Redmi note 7 came out in 2019, Barely 2 years ago. It runs on the latest MIUI as well. I'll try to get my hands on the new Note 9 Pro and test the waters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks