Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:53   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Incentives suspended on the Tata Nexon EV

It is possible that the government has become greedy and doesn't want to lose on its revenue. Hence it is finding excuses to de-list the car. The number of Nexon EVs in Delhi has raised drastically and I am rather surprised as I didn't believe that so many customers would take the plunge and bring one home.

Extremely sad that a government that prides itself in being in sync with practicality and cognitive ability, has taken such a regressive step, and that too citing such a lame excuse.
drmohitg is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:58   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Nexon EV can do 140kms easily. The second rule says efficiency of 15kwh/100km, to achieve this with a 30kwh battery pack Nexon should achieve a minimum range of 200km, that is where the problem starts. As Hemanth mentioned these should have been taken care of during the homologation process.

Attachment 2128097
15kwh/100 DTC is not testing any cars then how can they deny it ? One among the available third party agency is ARAI and they have a standard procedure for range test which is reluctantly denied by DTC signee.

Real world range depends on acceleration and load , DTC should have tested the car first before coming out with such an absurd solution.

Either Delhi Government don't have any money and the campaign is a scam or some kind of corruption, conspiracy is unfolding!

OT : The same government and department whole heartedly donated savings and exemptions upto 1.5Lakhs on BS4 DIESEL CIAZ & ERTIGA cars without any doubt , which helped the CIAZ to get sales traction against the mighty CITY.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 3rd March 2021 at 15:11.
TorqueIndia is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
15kwh/100 DTC is not testing any cars then how can they deny it ? One among the available third party agency is ARAI and they have a standard procedure for range test which is reluctantly denied by DTC signee.
Agreed, the govt should have taken proper decision after basing their test on proper test cycle during the homologation process. I firmly believe most Nexon owners can easily achieve 200kms.

I second with what drmohitg is saying above.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 3rd March 2021 at 15:38.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:06   #49
BHPian

Wasn't the subsidy introduced by Delhi to promote EVs and help support its growth by helping to reduce the price gaps between ICE and EV? What has range got to do with it? If Nexon EV is an EV as claimed and are claiming figures that ARAI puts out ( even if it is absurdly optimistic) then why discontinue the subsidy? This is too fishy especially when the basic complaint is from merely 2 customers as stated earlier.
We can have another thread where we breakdown the logic of having unreasonable numbers by ARAI for ICE and EV but this whole episode seems very fishy. For TATA this is extremely negative publicity for a vehicle that is doing very good numbers for an EV.
TATA will need to counter this news with more positive data.
chittybang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:49   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
In fact, I always felt like instead of giving exaggerated mileage/range claims, all automobiles shall give the worst and the best mileage/range figures that they must achieve under normal city and highway conditions. That will make more sense.
Automobile companies do not come up with the range first for ARAI to verify. Instead, ARAI has a set of tests and calculations based on which ARAI gives the range figure, which as we all know, is impractical.

One possible argument is Tata could have ignored the ARAI figures and published real world range. But which automaker will want to commit suicide by doing that when other competitors are publishing ARAI range.

It is suspicious that only Tata is being cornered when all 3 EV manufacturers almost equal gap between ARAI range and real world range.
Dev_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:57   #51
BHPian

For many people coming up with conspiracy theories from vested interests or an attempt by the government to save money, please keep in mind that this subsidy was for only the first 1000 vehicles sold. Out of that around 800 have already been sold. Hence it would make little sense from a conspiracy point of view except that it could create a negative reputation.

Having said that, even though I love the Nexon, I believe TATA has actually shortchanged the customers by riding on the nationalist wave. Basic safety features present on normal Nexon have been removed. These include ESC, TPMS and cruise control. They didn’t even bother to change the rotary knob to have a park function in the gearbox. Imagine having an automatic vehicle where you have to leave in N and hope for the best! They have used about 7 year old technology which was probably available quite cheaply now. They didn’t bother to include a LED charging indicator at the charge point. The electric wire going from the charge point to the motor upfront is naked at the bottom. They couldn’t bother to find a conduit or at least cover it. In fact, take a look under the motor bay and you will see that this wire is then looped hanging underneath the car in a makeshift manner into the motorbay area. That sealed the cavalier attitude for me. They didn’t want to bother making any alterations to properly loop it in. In addition, 6 airbags should have been provided for the top variant. All they want to do is ride the 5 star NCAP and buy local wave. I do have a soft spot for the TATA group but these are the facts.
Lobogris is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:36   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Hence it would make little sense from a conspiracy point of view except that it could create a negative reputation.
I completely agree, there is no conspiracy. However, I will not call the decision by Delhi Government as correct either. It remains the issue of certification. The testing cycle for this class of vehicle are limited to city and average speed in the test cycle is 17kmph. This is not really a real test. Maybe in these conditions Nexon EV does give the advertised figure. It is not Tata's fault, it is a problem of very antiquated and ill thought tests.

Quote:
Having said that, even though I love the Nexon, I believe TATA has actually shortchanged the customers by riding on the nationalist wave. Basic safety features present on normal Nexon have been removed. These include ESC, TPMS and cruise control. They didn’t even bother to change the rotary knob to have a park function in the gearbox. Imagine having an automatic vehicle where you have to leave in N and hope for the best!They didn’t bother to include a LED charging indicator at the charge point. The electric wire going from the charge point to the motor upfront is naked at the bottom.
I like Nexon EV as well. I agree, it is far from perfect. It has glaring omissions and shortcomings and things could have been done much better. However this also applies to MG ZS EV as well. I have the exclusive variant and there are many basic things that are missing from it and things that are downright crazy But for now, let us say is it good enough. I think, so is Nexon EV is some way.
flanker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:45   #53
BHPian

IMO, early adopters of EVs in India are amazing and they need all the support they can get from the government. The government doesn't even flinch while extracting 50-70% tax on even locally produced cars and then does this drama for folks going electric with virtually zero infra ready, and that too for just 1000 units. Utterly shameful and greedy display by the Delhi government here.

The fact that they believe 2 random customer reviews over ARAI just screams greed to me. Probably the funds are already allotted and they were just waiting for a chance here to swindle the leftover money.
darkgamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:50   #54
BHPian

I am against this decision because:

1. Statistical data not considered (Just 2 complaints)

2. Individual cases should have been considered and company could have been penalized.

3. Company should have been given chance to reply/ rectify.

4. NCR region seems to be very un-biased towards motoring ( 10 year diesel limit and now this)

5. Will be a big deterrent for car manufacturers to plan long term investments in E-vehicles.

6. Switch Delhi and now this , Question mark on Delhi governments wisdom.

7. In a time when not just Car ,but OEM manufacturers are readying plans for India's huge market , this is a big downer. Please look at Scandinavian countries .

8.What happens to people who booked the car ?

9.New technology goes through litmus tests , decision making bodies should understand that it takes a lot of small steps and effort to slowly build "Trust" . It is only after that , the mass shift happens.

10. Either stop sloganeering of "Make in India" and "Switch Delhi" , or start acting responsibly.
aquavivarium is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:01   #55
BHPian

Some PR exercise or whole hearted reporting by Autocar India?

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...plained-420106
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:14   #56
BANNED

Quote:

Having said that, even though I love the Nexon, I believe TATA has actually shortchanged the customers by riding on the nationalist wave. Basic safety features present on normal Nexon have been removed. These include ESC, TPMS and cruise control. They didn’t even bother to change the rotary knob to have a park function in the gearbox. Imagine having an automatic vehicle where you have to leave in N and hope for the best!
Cruise Control is a big miss, for me. I can live without the other two things. Rotary knob doesn't have a park function, just like AMT cars. I always wondered how they park AMT cars. Leave it in neutral and pull handbrake all the way up? That would be ok on level surface but on a gradient, handbrake bears all the load. Better to turn the steering wheel towards kerb, in case car starts rolling.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:41   #57
BHPian

Dejavu! Last time Tata did something similar, like bringing out a car for one lakh, they were forced to pay a heavy price by our dear politicians. Now, yet another stupid mindless rule, but surprisngly from the Delhi government.
prakash_ajp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:41   #58
bkc
BHPian

Delhi Government, instead of banning Nexon EV for range reasons, they could have banned all Unsafe cars.
Is range more important than safety?

If I'm right, all car brochures will have something about safety and most of them have failed the test.
bkc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:02   #59
BHPian

To say that this entire episode stinks to high heaven would be an understatement. I am pretty sure there is more to this than meets the eye.

It could be the new tender coming out, and a ploy to take TML out of the mix. We will get to know soon enough, I guess, if that is the case. I have experience in bidding for govt. contracts and can say with certainty that decisions on who would be awarded the contract are made beforehand and then the entire ecosystem is engineered to match that decision.

It could be one of the other OEMs trying to pull the rug out of TML's feet in an insidious manner as well.

Irrespective of the actual reasons, TML should fight this out, considering that ARAI numbers have been used to justify this decision. TML should take the Delhi Govt. to court and make ARAI a party to the case. I would say that TML has a pretty strong case considering that the Delhi Govt. used ARAI numbers and went by hearsay and didn't do it's own tests. TML should also reach out to the two customers who complained and address their concerns, if those were actually genuine.
Neversaygbye is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 14:25   #60
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Some PR exercise or whole hearted reporting by Autocar India?

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...plained-420106
The article shows "Autocar Highway" range more than "Autocar City". I'm assuming this means Highway run and City run, or is there some other meaning here.

Most Viewed