Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 14:10   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?

Going electric is inevitable for us "petrol heads" in the near future. Some of us want to hold off as long as possible while some have already taken the plunge.

Will be interesting to hear which EV model and when do you see yourself buying one? Would also be fun to look back at this thread and find someone of us chewing our own words back

For me: I am off the kind who will hold off for a while for my personal daily drive. I currently drive a NA V8, i hope to upgrade to a V8 turbo and then perhaps an EV "Turbo" (hint: Taycan Turbo- would ideally be my first personal EV but hard to predict now as maybe another car/model would be on my radar when I finally take the plunge myself)
However, I see an EV joining my family soon. I would like to start from the bottom perhaps and get our runner car to be an EV first. Could have happened already or this year, however, the lack of option is the reason I am not moving ahead. My prediction is an EV will join my garage in 2022 but would not be a luxury/sport model, it will be a cheaper/more practical option to start off.

What your prediction?
Sahil is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?

Thank you Sahil. A thread after my heart. :-)

My first EV will come around 2024. I wish to give time for the product and battery technology, especially safety, to mature. To start with I'll go for a smaller EV - either the smallest Lexus or who knows that cute Toyota 2-seater {photo below} for utility runs. To start with the EV will be the second car which means it will become my car with the top dog set of wheels always being for wifey. :-)

Given the newness of electric battery technology I'd prefer to stay with Lexus-Toyota given their ASS and reliability. On the other hand neither Lexus nor Toyota are tops in the good looks department. I suspect Volvo, Mercedes and VW in that order will steal the show with handsome looking EVs.
Attached Thumbnails
Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?-lexusux300eelectriccrossover61280x672.jpg  

Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?-2020122502021609179806.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 18th February 2021 at 14:26.
V.Narayan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:25   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Well, we've made baby steps by purchasing 2020 Camry Hybrid & I must say for city drives, EV is the best bet. With the govt in a race to bring petrol on price with 10g gold, I don't see any other option either.

An EV MUV would be perfect to replace our 2014 Innova in a couple of years, however no one seems to be thinking of it yet.

Ideally I would prefer EV's to replace our ICE car & have a fun weekend ICE car - that's how I envisage my future. Timeline? Who knows, maybe 5yrs more?
RJK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:40   #4
BHPian

By the time I buy my first car it would be 2030. So my first car would most likely be an EV if there is a ban on ICE cars.

Then I might get an used electric Alfa Romeo(Yes, I know) or Jaguar . Hopefully their EVs depreciate like the gas ones.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 18th February 2021 at 14:48.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:47   #5
BHPian

Wonderful topic and I was mentally calculating this a few days back.

Let me divide my response into two parts:

1. Product availability:
Depending on reliability of existing EVs and availability of models with a suitable range, an approximate time-frame for me will be the later part of this decade, around 2028-29. The Nexon, MG and Kona were launched recently. I will wait for 8-9 years to see how they perform in the long term.

Additionally, currently most mass market ICE cars we have here can comfortably go 600-700 kms on a single tank. Assuming a 50% degradation of capacity over 8-10 years for EVs (assumed after extrapolating from Apple's page about batteries holding at least 80% charge after 1000 cycles), I would love to buy my first vehicle with preferably an approximate 1500km range which would keep me happy for the next 8-10 years of ownership or a good resale value if I plan for an early sale.

2. Travel needs:
I travel 400-500kms at one go, mostly on deserted highways and my car has a range of around 600-700kms (conservative estimate for a 50 litre tank with assumed worst case 12-14kmpl FE). My current car is turning 15 in 2024 since its registration and I am eagerly awaiting the complete details of the scrappage policy. But if my current travel needs are to remain same for the next decade, my next car (definitely pre-owned) is to be a pure ICE or hybrid and will be ideally held on till 2028-29 at least, if I have to part ways with my current car anytime soon.

However if some change happens in my travel needs and I need a secondary car for city usage, I can go with an EV right now, preferably the Nexon as it has a sufficient range for city use. This will be in addition to the ICE or hybrid car which will be mostly put to highway use and long distance travel. I am strictly of the opinion that in bustling cities with a lot of stop-and-go traffic, EVs will result in far better efficiency and lower cost of ownership than ICE cars (barring the inevitable battery replacement of EVs). Adding the expected fast charging points for that emergency top-up, it may be a perfect city car for most.

Last edited by Researcher : 18th February 2021 at 14:51.
Researcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 15:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

In my current financial position I do vision getting a Nexon EV in Q3 2022. Though I am not sold completely, I do hope that all initial gremlins and issues will be ironed out by then.
Name:  ev n.PNG
Views: 9073
Size:  376.9 KB

However if I were to win a lottery or come into a huge fortune, then I would go for the Taycan. Yes, I predict a Porsche Taycan
Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?-taycan.png
TrackDay is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 16:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Been an EV user in the past. I got my first EV E20 in 2014.
I will definitely get an EV soon as there are viable models in the market. I had pre-booked Nexon EV, but cancelled it due to Pandemic related uncertainties in the past year.
Almost got MG ZS EV around Oct last year, but I shelved my plan as I didn't get a decent price for my current car.
Not gonna touch Kona unless there is solid proof of Hyundai fixing it's fire prone batteries.

Eagerly waiting for a 300-400Km EV to take the plunge. If Tata plonks in a larger battery in Nexon EV, I will surely buy it even it crosses 20+L.
speedmiester is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 17:04   #8
BANNED

Looking at the shooting fuel prices, it will be sooner than later in most households. Tata should just up Nexon's brick-on-the-pedal-drive range to 300 KM and feather-on-the-pedal-drive range to 400 Kms and many will take the plunge. Is it so hard, Tata? And, while you are at it, get the Altroz EV out asap. You will be pleasantly surprised by the market response. People are starved of proper modern EVs. Kona, ZS are 25 L plus and Mahindra EVs are from stone-age era.
pgsagar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 18:01   #9
BHPian

In my house my father has already said that come 2023, when it'll be time to look for a replacement for our Honda Mobilio he is going to be looking for a small ev to replace it for city commutes. So I'm hoping that either Toyota/Honda or one of the Europeans introduce some of their EV's into our market by then.
Shiftlock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 18:30   #10
BHPian

I would go for an EV when
1. EV has at least 800- 1000 km range minimum
2. Zero to full charge in max 30 mins
3. Gives speed and torque similar to fossil fuel dependent cars of today in india.
4. Battery reliability for 10 years with no cell change
5. Ease of charging from the grid at hotels, motels, charging stations with time to occupy oneself during charging etc.
6. Battery replacement as option over recharging (like gas cylinder in our home kitchens)
7. EV technology is available in MPV and SUVs.
8. Total Cost of Purchase and Ownership not much different from today's fossil fuel cars.
9. Production of Electricity for the Grid causes less pollution, at least less than 50% of today's pollution by burning fossil fuels in vehicles.
10. Hate dependency on nuclear batteries (if they happen to come) that generates nuclear waste.
11. Vehicle has some sort of nuclear reactor like that on Iron man's body.
12. Vehicles and their batteries are not fire or explosion prone.
cs_rajesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 20:46   #11
BHPian

I don't see myself getting an EV until the end of the decade, at the earliest. For it to represent value to me as a purchase, I'll need a (real world) range of minimum 500 kms, fast charging and the availability of charging stations at nearly every petrol pump.

I love tech and trying out new things, but when plonking 15+ lakhs on anything, I need to know I'll be able to rely on it completely.
GNG19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 20:48   #12
BHPian

The prime factors I'd consider are:
  • Initial cost of ownership
  • Growth of charging infrastructure
All other things can be lived with. If the above points are sorted, I can see myself driving a small EV within 5 years. For sure, it will be a compact runabout to be driven within city limits. The Altroz EV will be a safe bet if priced within ₹10L.
railfanwithk750 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 21:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

I hope Nissan launches the Leaf here. I see my first EV being my next car i.e. within five years from now. I hope I'm not being too optimistic!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 23:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

When an EV with the performance of the Nexon EV is launched under 10 lakhs.
Looking hopefully at Tata to launch an EV version of the HBX.

Our current running is perfect for an EV, even something like the Mahindra Atom would do. Price is the biggest limiting factor, range less so. Ofcourse since range doesn't matter much in the area where I live and an EV is never going to be the sole vehicle in the house.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 01:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

I'm hoping someone comes up with a 'conversion kit' where you could convert from petrol and diesel to electric for a lakh or nearby

Its not impossible, the option has to be mass-market and reliable

That is what I am waiting for.

EVs are out of budget, they went out of budget when the Reva E20 was launched, the original Reva was somewhat affordable at 3L odd. Something in that price range with the same capability of the Reva would be right up my alley now
TheARUN is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks