Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 21:25   #76
BHPian

Re: Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?

Nice thread!
I hope the mods will not be too disappointed if I include our Hybrid buying plans as well.
Our EV/Hybrid plans are a little staggered.
By the end of 2021, our CRV's lease will be up, and it would be replaced by a CRV Hybrid or a Ford Escape Hybrid. The finalist will depend on the fact whether Honda mends its ways and updates the current CRV.
In the mid of 2022, we plan to add a second car. My sights have been set on the new Ford Mach – E. It will not be a Tesla because I am not so happy with its (Tesla's) built quality and the omission of a display in front of the driver. Also, Federal and State tax credits are still valid for Ford, unlike GM and Tesla.
Attached Thumbnails
Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?-2.jpg  

Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?-4.jpg  

Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?-3.jpg  

Last edited by Pacific : 19th February 2021 at 21:28.
Pacific is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 22:06   #77
BHPian

My next car will most likely be an EV. It will probably replace our city cruiser Honda Brio. It makes sense to move to EV in all sense if you want a second city car. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is that that the EV marketplace isn't matured except for Nexon EV. I expect this to be somewhere before 2024. Except for range EV has a lot of things going for it. Torque, tax discounts, low running cost and negligible maintenance. It makes more sense in India where our range is very limited and fuel prices are exorbitant.
Old 19th February 2021, 22:19   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

I’ll get an EV from a reliable manufacturer (though this entirely new tech is almost like a level field for all but still) when in real life the range is at least 700-800 kms which is like a full day drive so that I can consider it for highway trips. Or, it can accommodate an alternative tech; like even a small fossil fuel engine, which can make sure that even if I’m out of charge, I will not be stranded.

To fulfil all these, I think it will still take a few more years during which the replacement battery pack will become cheaper too. What I’m sure is that my next car, whenever that happens, will be an EV.
Old 19th February 2021, 22:30   #79
BHPian

I think Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology is much better suited for Indian conditions. I am very sceptical for Lithium Batteries and their practical use in India. I will wait for the EV technology to further mature in next 10 years atleast, before buying an EV Car.
Old 20th February 2021, 00:32   #80
BHPian

I am waiting for another 6 years. I hope by that time charging and battery tech goes two notches higher. That means a driving range of 700km with AC. Super Fast charge tech to get 100% battery in less than 5 mins. Looking back at trends, that should be possible. Gone is the time when you needed 8 hrs to charge a mobile.
Old 20th February 2021, 02:24   #81
BHPian

I went overboard (pricewise) on my current vehicles as i am planning to hold on to them for a while. Also they were customized to make sure that they were not loaded with technology. When i am in the market to replace my current vehicles, i would look into ICE options as much as i can.

I might be old school, but an EV purchase is not in my mind until ICE is not an option anymore.
vj123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 09:25   #82
BHPian

I would be in the last batch to join this bandwagon,

In recent future we can never depend entirely on the EV alone(Say, I f I want to go on a multi day trip to a hill station or a rural area which is alien to me). Which forces us to have two cars or depend on rentals, which will increase the cost of ownership.

The refueling time for the EV's is a very huge dis advantage. Our traffic and travel time is not as predictable compared to the developed nations. This will result in occasional stranding in the roads without fuel.

Our's EV charging infrastructure must take a huge leap before bringing cars.

In my opinion, the EV's are for brave hearts in near future. Those who want peace of mind always, should enter the game in the last batch.
Old 20th February 2021, 10:24   #83
BHPian

Great thread.

I recently purchased a Kia Seltos IVT less than 3 months ago and my daily usage has changed tremendously, so much in fact that I walked in yesterday to the Tata dealership and booked 2 Nexon EV after about an hour long test drive.

They are saying current waiting time is 7-9 weeks so lets see. Didn't think I would jump onto the EV bandwagon so quickly but with the rising petrol prices and the dent its putting in my wallet this seemed like the best thing to do for me.
Old 20th February 2021, 12:05   #84
Senior - BHPian

My first EV will be a Tesla and my target is to buy one in next 5 years.

I am completely smitten with the minimalist interiors of Tesla. The large touchscreen and voice commands will do the duty for me and obviously their technology (FSD) and range is second to none currently.

Patiently waiting for their full fledged Indian operation.

Cheers!
Old 20th February 2021, 13:23   #85
Senior - BHPian

My dream EV will be a Maruti 800 styled EV which I plan to retire with one day. So far nothing is there in the market. Once a person crosses a certain age driving a larger vehicle will become a chore if one loves driving in this ever increasing traffic. I had cherised my old 800 for a longish 17 years. I would like to keep an EV 800 which will probably be my last car one day. But..time will tell as of now this is my dream.
Old 20th February 2021, 13:30   #86
BHPian

This thread really touches the dilemma of many including myself.

I have been going on ' should I shouldn't I' for the longest time. We really want to buy a new car but continuing using the present ones we have till we are convinced about EV's. The fuel prices are definitely tugging the strings for an EV especially as a beater city car.

Personally would prefer to see / get feedback how reliable they are in the next 2 years especially in Mumbai monsoons. Until then keep our cars and drive as there really arent any issues with them.
Hopefully many new offerings by various brands are expected in the next couple of years.
Old 20th February 2021, 15:20   #87
BHPian

I would prefer a made in India EV that is size of a Tata Nano, as mostly these are to be used in city commute only. It will need to charge faster and I would seriously look to own one in 2022.
Old 20th February 2021, 16:22   #88
BHPian

My direct answer would be technological advancement and infrastructure. When I don't have to worry about the range on my car anymore,the time for recharging my drive is significantly reduced and when I can find charging stations even half as often as fuel stations, that's when I'd buy an EV.

The only exception would be a fun to drive Electric Sportscar.
Old 20th February 2021, 20:34   #89
BHPian

Right now!
I am actively looking for an EV to replace my VW Passat. I absolutely love the Passat but also love having the latest technology. I am having a hard time deciding between Nexon, ZS and Kona.
I like the Nexon as it handles well and looks cute but I am not happy about losing the side and curtain airbags and even the ESC and TPMS have been removed from the EV. Even cruise control which is available on the regular Nexon has been removed. Projector lights but without HIDs. The center screen on the dash is small and not very well designed. Overall a really good car and I am almost sold on it. I expect a range of around 250 in normal use which is fine for 95% of my usage. I also like Tata’s commitment to the EV and the already decent fast charger network. It is a much smaller and less luxurious than the Passat. However, currently the Delhi government is providing a 1.5 lakh cashback as well as waiver of tax and registration charges leading to a saving of over 3 lakhs. This subsidy is only available on the Nexon as the Kona and the ZS are priced higher. Registration charge and tax are waived on all of them.

The next contender is the MG E ZS. I really like this car and am almost sold on it. It has better range and is more luxurious. However, advanced safety aids like lane assist, adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance which are offered even in Thailand have been removed. Another drawback is the lack of LED or HID lights. So the dilemma is whether to wait for the next refresh which might come with the advanced driving aids as MG has introduced them on their Gloster or just buy it now.

The final choice is the Kona. It’s a really nice package. It has ventilated seats and LED headlights along with a good range. The only issue is the battery problems recently reported and the fact that currently it is not being sold in India. Even here I am hoping a newer model comes and brings the advanced driving aids offered elsewhere.

So in summary I am ready to take the plunge and would welcome any suggestions that would help me decide.
Old 20th February 2021, 22:20   #90

My next to next car will be an EV i.e. after 2025 as hopefully by then -

1. There will be more options available in India.
2. We will have real world range close to 500 kms.
3. We can charge to 80% battery capacity under 30 mins.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks