Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 12:35   #46
BHPian

Re: Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?

For me it is quite simple, when competent product(s) (end-to-end package) is(are) available within my purchasing capacity.

Will I buy another fossil burning if the above does not happen? unlikely. I am willing to wait for another decade or so it it takes that long.
Old 19th February 2021, 12:45   #47

I have a E2O from 2015. For me it is a perfect city car in Bengaluru traffic. You can park easily, tag behind auto's in congested traffic, cost almost nothing to run. To top it off you get the admiring looks and usual questions (How much range?, How much time for full charge?).

My E20 claimed it had 120km range. It was more like 90km practically. Since I use AC mostly, aggressive driving when needed (used Boost mode generously), headlights for night driving etc hit on battery and reduce the drive range. For someone who does one way commute of 15km, E2O fits right in to the routine.

Another good feature or advantage for me was free charging facilities at most of shopping malls/movie theaters and nowadays even airport has free charging and 20% discount on parking fee!

The main issue I had was range anxiety. I would not go to destinations which is more than 40km away on E2O. I would typically choose the petrol alternative in such cases.

Recently I realized there is another issue with battery management system. You really need to use the range mentioned for the car by regularly utilizing the range and recharging. Without utilizing the range you are reducing the battery capacity. I figured this out the hardway recently after 6 years of use my recaliberated battery now gives me 80km (down from 120km) due to non-utilization of full drive range. I wonder after reading this thread how often people who buy 500km range vehicle would utilize the 500km range fully and recharge.If they don't utilize the full range how will the battery hold up after 5 to 6 years.

E2O needs service only once a year and that too service rates are in Rs.1000 range mostly car wash, fluids etc being the main expenses. So no real complains about after sales service. But... Mahindra has not been supportive of E2O customers. They killed the product and they recently closed the only E2O specific service centre in the country. So that has triggerred me thinking to switch to newer EV's.

We really need good products which appeal to masses. We also need mass consumers to drive down the cost. Volvo XC40 recharge, Tesla model 3 etc might be good products in pipeline for India; but way up in price range. Hyundai has set a premium pricing for Kona. Maruthi is taking its sweet time to bring affordable EV. I am really looking forward to Renault bring a zoe or electric kwid to do the job.
randeepsr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 12:50   #48
BHPian

Here's something that I just realized, while reading all your posts about your choice of EVs. I agree with most that until the infrastructure is in place, the cars have the same performance as their petrol counterparts and their range increases to 600-700 km, there isn't a point. However, the funny thing is that we are still using coal powered electricity to charge the EVs. Does that really help matters? I would like to know all your thoughts.
Old 19th February 2021, 13:24   #49
BHPian

When mass market EVs will reach range of at least 400 kms and fast charging infrastructure will reach rural places like my town in Uttarakhand. I am not confident that it will happen even in 10 years from now.
Old 19th February 2021, 13:27   #50
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

A Hatch/C-SUV size EV perfectly fits the requirement for my City runnings (office commute included). However, I will delay the purchase for atleast 3 more years due to -
Infrastructure is not sorted
Do not want to be paid guinea pig for Tata/Mahindra/Others
Less than 300 kms of range doesnt work for me as I am not interested in charging it once every few days
Old 19th February 2021, 13:34   #51
BHPian

I will try my hands on an electric entry level hatchback as a second car for city run when :

1. Maruti/Hyundai launches one as after sales support should be excellent
2. It has at least 120-150 kms range in single charge
3. There is charging infrastructure in every fuel pumps or at least one in 10kms
5. GOI gives a income tax deduction for an EV

I expect these to happen in next 5-7 years
Old 19th February 2021, 13:35   #52
BHPian

My first EV - Too soon to say which, as I have a 4 year old i20 petrol and I am planning to use it for at least 6 more years. By that time who knows which EV will be best suited for my needs or for that matter what my needs would be.

If I were to buy an EV today

As my primary car (no i20 for backup) - No car available right now satisfies the criteria I am looking i.e.

Range -500 Km (not looking for 700 - 1000 Km EV)
Speed limit - not locked to 120 Km/h like in Nexon
Platform - Dedicated EV platform and not EV in an ICE shell
Cost - Can go up to 25L or a little bit more
Safety features - They are a priority (Not concerned about battery fires, they are safe and are on the way of getting safer every day)
Buttons - No giant touch screen like Tesla. It's unsafe to take eyes off the road to adjust the ac.
Charging Infrastructure/Speed - Important

The most important one - I should own the car and not the company. I don't like what Tesla does. They can remotely disable the features of the car and it is bad. If I were to resell an EV, I should be able to sell all the features that I bought with it and not just the base model.

Link for story - https://jalopnik.com/teslas-removal-...e-i-1842382846

This is a link from last year and I do not know the current status but these things are wrong.

As my second car, I would like to have a small car with safety features and a daily actual range of about 100-120 Km, sufficient for a daily commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I'm hoping someone comes up with a 'conversion kit' where you could convert from petrol and diesel to electric for a lakh or nearby
Kits for conversion are available from companies like Northway Motorsport and E-trio. (found them through Plugin India podcast and YouTube)

https://www.northwayms.com/
https://etrio.in/ecar.html
Old 19th February 2021, 13:41   #53
BHPian

Here is how I will do :

- I have setup 4kW Solar unit for the home which at the moment produces double units that what we consume

- Wait for a reliable EV from ones like Hyundai/Kia, Suzuki/Toyota

- If the car offers a 300km real-world range, replace 9-year-old Brio.

- When a car with a real-world range of 500km arrives and highway charging improves, replace Figo.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 13:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Going electric is inevitable for us "petrol heads" in the near future. Some of us want to hold off as long as possible while some have already taken the plunge.

Will be interesting to hear which EV model and when do you see yourself buying one? Would also be fun to look back at this thread and find someone of us chewing our own words back

What your prediction?
Thank you for bringing this topic. As an owner of E2O and Nexon EV, I started thinking about the Last ICE cars. As of today I do not own a ICE car. That was not by choice, but due to an accident, my Chevy Cruze had to be scrapped last month and prior to that I had exchanged Alto for Nexon EV. I have created a new thread to find out opinions of Bhpians on their prediction about their last ICE car.
Old 19th February 2021, 13:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

I will buy one when charging becomes more accessible. Currently, neither my apartment nor the office parking has charging points and I don't see the feasibility of charging infrastructure in the next few years. Plus, I am not even sure if most of the existing apartments will be able to cope up with the extra load if even 30% of the cars shift to electric and all of them plugin together for charging in the night. I feel this is the issue most apartment dwellers will face.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 13:58   #56
BANNED

For what my current usage demands i.e. 80-100 kms a day in city traffic (worst case scenario), I feel getting the Tata Nexon EV will be a great replacement for my Creta. I plan to hold the Creta for a while but the next car will be an EV.

In case of two-wheeler segment, ICE will be preferred, no EV's there. I need a parallel twin actually in my garage.

I am yet to give up on ICE engines.
Old 19th February 2021, 14:19   #57
BHPian

I have a different thought here - why not beat the existing fossil fuel car to death(until the government bans it or multiple system failure) - after this, buy one of the nice electric conversion kits available and prolong the life of your car by multiple years!

By then the electric components will hopefully be cheaper and it should be easy to "electrify" your regular car.
Old 19th February 2021, 14:30   #58
BHPian

If I would be buying an EV anytime soon, it would definitely be a Tesla! The current news on Tesla in India sounds promising. Really hope that Tesla commits to building an EV infrastructure similar to what they have in the US.

I think on a time-scale, 2025 would be the earliest that I think Mumbai would be 100% EV ready. Like other BHPians, I am very excited to see a new chapter in the Indian automotive scene unfold right in front of our eyes!
Old 19th February 2021, 14:43   #59
AZT
BHPian

Something like a Jeep Compass with 500 km range would be the sweet spot. You have an aspirational brand, proper SUV and pricing ~ equal to petrol. EV battery prices should come down in 5 years and that's when I see myself jumping on the wagon.
Old 19th February 2021, 14:54   #60

My current car is 10 years old now, and I intend on driving it for the next 4-5 years.

Hopefully, when I'm looking to get a new vehicle around 2025, the battery technology (which is currently the real bottleneck IMO) and the charging infrastructure (somewhat manageable) has improved dramatically. I'm talking solid state batteries, easily accessible fast charging points etc.

If Tesla does start selling vehicles in India and they are priced reasonably, I would love to get the Model S equivalent. If not, something like the Volvo XC40 Recharge would do just fine Keen on seeing what I ultimately end up with!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks