Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 11:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?

Within 5 years for sure. I see the Nexon EV as our next car, but I'm really hoping that all those rumours about Tata giving it a bigger battery pack for enhanced range are true, that would help accelerate the switch!

Not closed to other options that may come into the market during that period, but as of now the Nexon EV has everything we need- decent range (can be better for the odd Bangalore-Mysore trip), price, safety rating, compact size for city use, decent interiors.
Old 19th February 2021, 11:03   #32
BHPian

My first EV will most likely be a scooter with 200km range and costing less than 1 lakh INR. I would also expect it to have fast charging capabilities to juice it up within 30 mins max. I would wait for at least 10 years before putting any money on an electric car for 3 reasons:
1) My current car is only 2 years old. I don't want to replace it anytime soon.
2) I don't expect the charging ecosystem for electric cars to reach practical levels anytime within the next 10 years. For all the talks about EV that our beaurocrats are make, there is nothing happening at the ground level.
3) The current EVs in the market are ridiculously priced (when compared to petrol cars), offer puny range if driven hard and take ages to charge which renders them useless during emergencies.
nagr22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 11:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great question! Have been at the back of my mind every time I think of my next car (which I do very often!). I am in a dilemma on how long do I hold on to my Polo, and should me next car be a EV?

I am not comfortable buying an EV until the range comes to 500+ on road.

I live in Mumbai and just dont have the liberty of having two cars due to parking woes!

Also, I see no major visible improvement in charging infrastructure even in a city like MUMBAI! There is one charging point on the entire Eastern Express Highway, and that has been there since 3 years.

So, doesnt look like 2024 or earlier!
Old 19th February 2021, 11:05   #34
BHPian

GTO can convert his Jeep into an EV perhaps ?

Provided that reliable and Government approved EV conversion kits are made available (like the CNG and LPG kits), the switcheroo to EVs can be made affordable. If such a car is made exempt from the 15 year axe rule, we don't need to let go of some our beloved old cars and classics either.

Last edited by corvus corax : 19th February 2021 at 11:32. Reason: added more content
Old 19th February 2021, 11:28   #35
MSC
BHPian

I do not see myself buying an electric vehicle for atleast 7-8 years. The charging infrastructure in big cities is still evolving and there is dearth of adequate charging locations.
I live in a tier-4 town in a small hill state where it will take minimum 5-6 years for charging infrastructure to develop. I don't have a car parking space of my own and my car is parked at a public parking whose owner, I don't think will invest in providing charging infrastructure.
In the hills due to constant inclines and single lane roads and with lower temperature in winters, more than an exclusive electric car, it's a hybrid with a small petrol engine with a small fuel tank along with an electric motor is required.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 11:37   #36
BHPian

We own an Alto K 10(2016) and a Tigor Diesel(2017), this is the first time we have kept any car for more than 4 years(Alto). We used to replace our cars every 3 to 3.5 years, but the current cars we own have given us a good balance for City(Alto) and Highway(Tigor) runs. Our next purchase I foresee is by 2023-24, and it is surely going to be an EV. Whether it is going to replace the Tigor or the Alto completely depends on the evolution of technology & charging facility by then i.e. if in the next 2-3 years we find an EV in the 14-16 lakh bracket with atleast 350-400km of real world range we might just replace the Tigor, or else it will replace the Alto. I am very much inclined towards Nexon EV though.
On the other side we are planning to purchase a rugged UV for our farms, right now the Tigor takes up the abuses from our farm runs, we might go for a Bolero or Bolero Double Cab Pickup, if there was a good Utility EV as an option with 20-30% premium over regular bolero price we would have just opted for it.
Old 19th February 2021, 11:37   #37
BHPian

For all practical purposes, I would pick up a Tata Nexon EV. I recently drove one and for the price point, I think it's a great value for money car.

This will happen in a few years from now. At least 2-3 years, since the infra needs to develop in tier 2 cities.
Old 19th February 2021, 11:41   #38
BHPian

I bought my Tiago in 2019 and this time I plan to keep my car till 2030, if all goes well. By that time all of us will have plenty of option to choose from the market, I’ll be more interested in converting my car to EV than going for a new car else I’ll have a good option to choose EV from a second hand car market by 2030. I hope with in 10 years things will surely turn and people will have plenty of options to choose from.
Old 19th February 2021, 11:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

I am person who refills to brim even before the needle hits quarter mark on the gauge.

I guess my range anxiety will not let me buy an EV unless they hit 700km/charge benchmark and even then I need to see ultra fast charging stations everywhere around me. So 10 years from now, give or take?
Old 19th February 2021, 12:01   #40
BANNED

One thing I have come to realise is, if you want to buy a car, any car, buy it right now. Car prices are never ever going to come down. On the contrary, they keep climbing up just as we speak, just like our fuel prices. EVs with 500 KM range? It's not going to happen anytime soon and when it does happen, it will add several lakhs to the price, negating the purpose again.

Cars are not like other electronic goods whose prices fall as the sales volume rises and as years pass. A 64 inch plasma TV in 2013 was 2.25 lakhs and a 65 inch LED starts at 95,000 today, with more features and better resolution. But, that will never happen to cars. They have come to realise that we are suckers for cars and we will buy cars no matter what and hence they see no need for giving us any relief. It's almost like all car manufacturers have formed a cartel.

As for Nexon EV, it's doing good numbers in my town and most are managing without going to fast chargers. But, if anyone has a 2-car garage, IMO, one of the two should be an EV. The other ICE car can be used for middle-of-the-night emergency (if EV is charging) and for out of town trips.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 12:04   #41
BHPian

I will get an EV once
  • Range is 500 Kms+
  • Sufficient Fast Charging infrastructure at least on highways
  • Charging from 10%-80% under 40 Minutes
I am living in Mumbai region, so 2 car garage is out of question due to the limited parking space availability. So primarily the car need to be dependable not only for daily commute but also for occasional long drives.
Old 19th February 2021, 12:06   #42
BHPian

By 2025, a premium hatchback/C-segment sedan, with an approximate range of 500Kms and a price of around 15-17 Lakh would do just fine with me. Hopefully, a Tesla hatchback or even a Honda/Toyota (if they get over their fixation with hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle (FCEV) would be very desirable.
Old 19th February 2021, 12:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Looking at the shooting fuel prices, it will be sooner than later in most households. Tata should just up Nexon's brick-on-the-pedal-drive range to 300 KM and feather-on-the-pedal-drive range to 400 Kms and many will take the plunge. Is it so hard, Tata? And, while you are at it, get the Altroz EV out asap. You will be pleasantly surprised by the market response. People are starved of proper modern EVs. Kona, ZS are 25 L plus and Mahindra EVs are from stone-age era.
Agree with you. EV range anxiety is the biggest factor for me. If TATA can do the following, I am sold.

1. Increase the range to ~500 kms
2. Chargers in every 100-200 kms on highways
3. 50% charge in <30 mins

The technology is already available. We just need commitment and willingness from the automakers.

The government can do a lot in this regard by providing tax incentives and building the charging infrastructure.
Old 19th February 2021, 12:24   #44
BHPian

I am ready to buy one today for city/beater duties and unlike most others, I am happy with a 50-100KM real world range provided the car itself can be had for the price of 6-8 lakh - basically something like a Celerio EV. But a 5L premium for Nexon EV over the ICE one with the associated limitations and threat of obsolescence makes it impractical for me to pick up as the primary car for at least next 3-5 years. So I am looking at you Maruti to give us a mass market EV.
Old 19th February 2021, 12:31   #45
BHPian

Something like the VW Up! or the Renault Zoe BUT with a good ground clearance.
When? Probably 10-15 years from now

Here is an interesting video which made me like the Zoe.
The French Renault won while the Japanese Honda lost. Wow!
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks