Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 11:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Kona Electric offered at Rs. 1.5L discount

Hyundai is offering a cash discount of up to Rs. 1.5 lakh on the Kona Electric as part of a stock clearance sale.

Hyundai Kona Electric offered at Rs. 1.5L discount-hyundaikonaelectric.jpg

The discount is valid on the MY2020 Kona Electric. Interestingly, the discount on the white coloured Kona EV is only Rs. 50,000.

The Kona Electric was launched in July 2019. The electric crossover has had a rough ride in recent times. Hyundai had to recall 456 units over faulty battery cells. Owners have also reported issues with the battery packs that have left them stranded.

The Kona Electric is offered with a 39.2 kWh battery that powers an electric motor that has an output of 134 BHP and 395 Nm of torque. It has four driving modes - Eco, Eco+, Comfort and Sport and comes with paddle shifters for adjusting regenerative braking. The claimed 0-100 km/h acceleration time is 9.7 seconds.

The Kona Electric has an ARAI certified range of 452 km on a single charge. The carmaker claims that the battery can be recharged to 100% in 6 hours and 10 minutes using an AC charger. It takes 57 minutes to recharge the battery to 80% of its capacity using a DC charger. Kona customers will be provided with a 7.2 kW charger that can top-up charge the vehicle within 1 hour for a range of 50 km.

Source: Rushlane

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 13:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric offered at Rs. 1.5L discount

Mods, please fix the link to the forum from the news article. It has an extra 9 in the url.
SuhairZain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 13:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Do I interpret this as a stock clearance of MY 2020 or stock clearance of Kona EV in India. Given that domestic (Korean) sales have already ended (Hyundai Kona EV owners face battery issues & breakdowns in India).
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 15:01   #4
BHPian

Well the Kona has met an untimely end indeed. Hope the MG ZS EV and the Nexon EV continue to chug along and spearhead the electric revolution. I also hope this doesn't discourage the people from buying electric vehicles and other manufacturers from releasing their global EV portfolio here.
Old 11th January 2021, 16:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Internationally, the Kona has gone through a facelift. They are just clearing out existing stock before the next batch is imported, for that will be the new model with revised looks.

OT: I tried to enquire with the dealers here in Delhi for a purchase a couple of months back. Even put a request on their website. Just got a call saying they will get the dealer to contact me. Nobody called. I thought they simply didn’t have any Konas to sell. Surprised to see there is unsold stock.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 11th January 2021 at 16:23.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai is offering a cash discount of up to Rs. 1.5 lakh on the Kona Electric as part of a stock clearance sale.[/b]
With the issues that are been reported in forums worldwide and also ours regarding car getting bricked.

I wouldnt want to own Kona even if it was given for free. The Kona was discontinued in Korea, so i am skeptical about it long term future/support.
SideView is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 17:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Internationally, the Kona has gone through a facelift. They are just clearing out existing stock before the next batch is imported, for that will be the new model with revised looks.

OT: I tried to enquire with the dealers here in Delhi for a purchase a couple of months back. Even put a request on their website. Just got a call saying they will get the dealer to contact me. Nobody called. I thought they simply didn’t have any Konas to sell. Surprised to see there is unsold stock.
Hyundai dealers always seem to be in an uninterested state when it comes to the Kona. There were many prospective customers who lost interest just because of Hyundai's lacklustre dealership experience towards the Kona. Also after the launch of the ZS EV, the Kona started to look like an incomplete package IMO. The ZS has a slightly better range as well. MG has taken a better approach in selling the ZS EV. I've seen a lot of ZS EV's on the roads of Hyderabad, while spotting a Kona was quite a task as Hyundai was never interested in selling them.
saikishor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I've seen a lot of ZS EV's on the roads of Hyderabad, while spotting a Kona was quite a task as Hyundai
Quite the opposite scene in Madras. I've seen over a dozen Kona, even 1-2 EV Nexons and yet to spot a single ZS EV. Not sure if that's because of the presence of Hyundai Motor Plaza which is a direct company owned sales unit.

I haven't quite paid attention to the dealer stickers on them, will do next time.

Last edited by narayans80 : 11th January 2021 at 22:43.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 10:42   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
With the issues that are been reported in forums worldwide and also ours regarding car getting bricked.
Agreed. No way I would recommend the Kona to anyone until Hyundai fixes these serious issues. I have anyway not recommended too many of them because of the extremely stiff ride. In comparison, the ZS EV is so much easier to live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Hyundai dealers always seem to be in an uninterested state when it comes to the Kona. There were many prospective customers who lost interest just because of Hyundai's lacklustre dealership experience towards the Kona.
Typical Hyundai story with all their 20+ lakh cars. The Santa Fe, Sonata, Tucson etc. never got a marketing push from the company. That attitude spilled down to the dealers as well. Hyundai managers who are used to targeting sales of 5000 - 10000 for a particular model were unmotivated to commit to a 100 cars / month model. But they don't understand the tangible & non-tangible benefits that the expensive cars bring (e.g. branding benefits from a flagship, adding sheen to the brand, giving Hyundai fans upgrade options within the same family, teaching dealers how to serve premium customers etc. etc.).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 10:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

I guess this has to do something with the fires internationally. HMIL might want to clear stocks before the news reaches people. I really hope Hyundai finds a solution and fixes all affected cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Santa Fe, Sonata, Tucson etc. never got a marketing push from the company.
Well said - I know multiple people who could not get a test drive of Tucson in Bangalore. It is so sad, especially considering that the Creta owners will look for something bigger for their next upgrade.
Quote:
giving Hyundai fans ...upgrade options
Fans? No. Brand loyalists? Yes. Hyundai hasn't sold any exquisite cars in India. The only Hyundai I love is the Getz.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks