Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 14:22   #1
BHPian

Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled

Tesla today updated their website to show the much touted 7-seater Model Y, deliveries of which are shown to begin in as little as 2-5 weeks from today. The 7-seater version, as shown in the screengrab from the Model Y configurator page, shows that it will have a sliding second row + adjustable 2nd row seatbacks, with some sort of "easy-access" functionality into the third row, fold-flat 2nd and 3rd rows (would be surprising if it didn't fold flat honestly), and USB-C charging for the third row. Do note that the last line item, the "electronic fold-flat releases in the trunk", are just buttons for spring-loaded seat releases that drop the rear seats, also present in the current 5-seater Model Y - and are not to be confused with proper motor-operated electronically folding rear seats.

Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled-modely_7seat.jpg

Standard Range Model Y

Additionally, in a somewhat surprising move (given Elon Musk's very emphatic and very public denial of a <250 mile range car - https://insideevs.com/news/433680/tesla-cancel-standard-range-tesla-model-y/), Tesla also quietly introduced a "Standard Range" starting version of the Model Y, at a slightly higher price than originally announced at the Model Y unveiling event of 2019 (The SR version was indicated to be around $39-40k then, but Tesla has launched it at $41,990 today).

Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled-modely_sr.jpg

As shown, it comes with a 244-mile EPA range, and a respectable 5.3 second 0-60mph time. Whether it is priced low enough to entice buyers remains to be seen, however this does constitute a bold shot at the lower-priced variants of the Mustang Mach-E and upcoming VW ID.4 - if the Biden administration decides to fulfill their election promise of returning the $7500 EV subsidy for all manufacturers including Tesla, then with an after-discount price of $34500 (lesser in some states with state-level subsidies), this version will make serious waves in the SUV-friendly US auto market.

No details on the battery size are given, but I'm assuming it would be the same 55 kWh battery seen on the Standard Range Plus Model 3 (it's weird that the Model 3 gets the "Plus" but not the Model Y - I hope they change the naming convention at some point).

More detailed look at the 7-seat interior:

Here are some exclusive (and I should add elusive) pictures of the 7-seat interiors, obtained by Rob Maurer of the Tesla Daily podcast / YouTube channel - link to the video at the end of this post. Many (including me) have wondered how Tesla is going to manage to fit 2 adults in the cramped rear end of the Model Y, especially given the extremely sloping roofline. So it will be interesting indeed to see how this is received in US and elsewhere.

Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled-modely_7seat1.jpg
Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled-modely_7seat2.jpg
Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled-modely_7seat3.jpg
Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled-modely_7seat4.jpg
Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled-modely_7seat5.jpg
Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled-modely_7seat6.jpg

Harshal.Bhosale is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 14:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled

This is definitely brought to compete with ID4 and Mach E. If the tax incentives are changed both Mach E and ID4 will have no more price advantage than MY. I heard that 80% of the TM3 sales in China is from SR+. With SR+ MY Tesla can sell as many as they can make.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 10:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled

Tesla Model Y Standard Range discontinued, CEO Musk tweets explanation.

Quote:
The vehicle appeared on the Tesla online configurator in January, and late last week its price was cut by $2000.

Currently, the Standard Range Model Y is available for order only over the phone or in person at Tesla showrooms.
Tesla Model Y - 7 seater, standard range options unveiled-smartselect_20210224102229_twitter.jpg

Source

Most Viewed