Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2021, 22:55   #76
BHPian

Re: Tesla to start testing the Model 3 in India!

Tesla Model 3 Long Range spotted (most probably) while testing in Pune!

Credit IG : @atharvakawade19

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-e3ixzxkwqaiwuzf.jpeg

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th June 2021 at 17:20. Reason: Video link added
udaikalra01 is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 14:16   #77
BHPian

A little birdy told me that the Model 3 will be launched in India within 3 -4 months.
They are trying to launch around Diwali time and the price is expected to start from 40L (Ex-Showroom). This came a credible source from the factory.
deepjaju is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 16:31   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
A little birdy told me that the Model 3 will be launched in India within 3 -4 months.
They are trying to launch around Diwali time and the price is expected to start from 40L (Ex-Showroom). This came a credible source from the factory.
Wow. That would be a decent starting price. I can't recall if this falls under CBU / CKD - hopefully latter.

This is also a decent warning salvo for the RAV 4 if it comes anytime soon to keep its price in check I hope.

In time, I feel the right price point for the size etc of a Tesla Model 3 should ideally be sub 50 - 52 lakh on road. Preferably sub 50L on road. That will really shake the market. Bear in mind its still a big luxury because we're asking buyers to basically plonk 50 big ones on a car they may not freely be able to take for LONG highway journeys.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 16:32   #79
BHPian

Isnt this priced <40k USD in the US? Why is it 40l then? Will it eventually go down once everything is manufactured in India?

How's ID4 compared to this?
abhatt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 16:54   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Isnt this priced <40k USD in the US? Why is it 40l then? Will it eventually go down once everything is manufactured in India?

How's ID4 compared to this?
Why is a Mustang costing 40k USD priced at INR 75 lakhs ex-showroom ? Same logic follows. Taxes and duties on CBU and CKD of our country are to blame simply
akhil994 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:28   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
If it is 40L ex showroom, then it will probably cost around 41L on road as in most states road tax is waived off for EVs.
That is a good price for a proper EV with long range compared to Kona and ZS
speedmiester is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
If it is 40L ex showroom, then it will probably cost around 41L on road as in most states road tax is waived off for EVs.
That is a good price for a proper EV with long range compared to Kona and ZS
Thats right - for a Jaguar ipace, the RTO charges in Bangalore is 70k against the ex-showroom of 1Cr upwards.

I wonder what would the XC40 Recharge cost given the petrol variant is about 41L ex-showroom and 50L on road in BLR. My hunch is they will price it above the OTR of the petrol sibling - around 55-60L.
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 05:46   #83
Senior - BHPian

About time as well that India gets a taste of how to do electric cars right. I do worry about the performance though. Even the slowest Tesla is almost too fast for Indian roads and the skill of an average Indian driver. The slowest Tesla Model 3 is 5.5 seconds to 100 but its not the absolute time, its how easy it is to do. All you need to do is just press the pedal and even your granny can match your acceleration times. No other car at the same price would have the same performance or atleast as approachable.

Imagine this thing in the hands of rowdy teenagers or drunk drivers. I shudder at the thought.
extreme_torque is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 07:37   #84
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Having lived with a Model 3 for ~2 weeks, I am incredibly excited about the latest spotting . Big fan of the car & the company. A few highpoints to get expectations in line:

- To know more about EVs in general, be sure to read my idiot's guide on the topic (Electric Cars...through the eyes of a diehard petrol-head).

- Wonderful to drive! The dual-motor Model 3s accelerate like sports cars and the kick you get is solid. Very addictive. Forget the 330i, it will leave the 340i behind (depending on what configs Tesla offers in India).

- In terms of tuning & driving feel, nothing touches Tesla's electric motors. They are far superior to what anyone else offers (I've driven all the high-end EVs from Mercedes & Audi too). From what I read, only the Porsche (Taycan) is a match in terms of how snappy the driving experience / throttle response is.

- Good handling. Reasonably direct steering, but poor feel (like in all EVs I've driven).

- You can realistically expect a 400 - 500 km range (of course depending on what configs Tesla offers here).

- Looks good & "different". But doesn't have the stylish presence of a C-Class, A4 or 3-Series IMHO.

- Minimalist interiors. Lots of cool features. Big tablet command center (controls most functions) is Apple-iPad-good to use. But has none of the luxurious feel that the Germans offer.

- Build quality & interior quality are not even close to what Mercedes, BMW, Audi offer. Heck, it's not even close to what VW & Skoda offer. I just sat in the 2021 Octavia yesterday and its interior feels better than the Model 3's.

- A Camry / Fortuner cost 40+ lakhs in India. The Model 3 will easily be a 50+ lakh car. How well-priced or overpriced it is will depend on whether Tesla does CKD over CBU (which they appear to be keen on) and how badly they want to penetrate the premium segment. Either way, you will be paying a premium. The early adopters will all be paying through their nose for the technology and the very cool badge.

- Tesla India has made some notable hires in the recent past, so are serious.

- As everyone knows, Tesla hates the dealership model and opts for direct sales. Will be interesting to see how they manage that in India.

- Many feel-good features like the smartphone based entry & go (works like a charm), invisible air-con vents, unique door handles etc.

- You can't own an EV in India without having your own charging spot where you park at home. Without that, forget about it.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 07:39   #85
Team-BHP Support

A nice review here of the 2021 Model 3. It’s actually the first review where I’ve seen of a Tesla up close so pardon my noob observations.

My limited takeaway is that while there will be a lot of attraction to a Tesla per se, I am not sure its for everyone. It’s definitely disruptive the way Apple was to phones when it launched the iPhone. Whether that will be everyone’s cup of tea immediately - not sure. For instance the simple aspect of constantly moving to the centre computer for basic adjustments like mirrors and steering. It’s not something that’s necessarily user friendly and i find it disruptive for the sake of being so. Perhaps this is the future of automobiles and I’m being resistant to change. People thought no way will the world embrace touch phones when buttons are so much more intuitive - and yet here we are today. But even with the benefit of all that hindsight I’m struggling to find this proposition attractive. Perhaps when one gets to see one in person it’ll be easier to judge.

Similarly, the back of the car is REALLY cramped - high floor, relatively cramped rear seat etc. This will be like buying a Mini Cooper / CLA or similar. A very premium priced offering that is pretty compact at the back. If you want a self drive city pocket rocket mostly for 2 adults, then great. As an all round compact sedan, it’s REALLY compact - kind of like the CLA I suppose in terms of size.

EDIT::

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- To know more about EVs in general, be sure to read my idiot's guide on the topic (Electric Cars...through the eyes of a diehard petrol-head).
Our posts crossed but will check this link out. There’s a fair bit going for it I can see from your post but seems like there’s a fair bit of an acquired taste / quirkiness too. The cool quotient of being an early Tesla adopter will be compelling I guess for those with the means, charging infra etc. Either way, excited to see how this will shake the market a bit and prod others too to bring their own EV offerings to India.

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th June 2021 at 07:56.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 11:07   #86
Senior - BHPian

My next car will be an EV and model 3 looks promising. Even at 60-70L OTR, I am sure there will early adopters. Tech is such that early adopters always have to pay a lot of premium. A 1L Samsung flagship will be selling at 25K in a Flipkart sale 2 year down the lane. The car market is different but I am sure something like Tesla will command premium.
If 40L is indeed true, model 3 will bury all the so called pseudo premiums. Heck even SUVs will run for cover.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 12:58   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor testing on Indian roads. Earlier this month three Tesla Model 3 cars landed in Mumbai to commence testing, validation and homologation.

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-screenshot_20210612125928_youtube.jpg

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-screenshot_20210612125943_youtube.jpg

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-screenshot_20210612125951_youtube.jpg

The Model 3 launching in India could be RWD only. The test mule is running on standard 18-inch Wheels with aero kit and is shod with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Performance tyres.

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-screenshot_20210612130018_youtube.jpg

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-screenshot_20210612130031_youtube.jpg

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-screenshot_20210612130045_youtube.jpg

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-screenshot_20210612131902_youtube.jpg

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-20210612_132016.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th June 2021 at 13:24.
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Why is a Mustang costing 40k USD priced at INR 75 lakhs ex-showroom ? Same logic follows. Taxes and duties on CBU and CKD of our country are to blame simply
Correct me if wrong, but isn’t the india spec using the 5L V8?

According to SIAM, the import slab is 60% tax for engines below 3L(P) and 2.5L(D) but 125% for over these limits.

No wonder that that spec of mustang, is actually CIF of $36k. Add 100% tax and you’re at $72k which is just around ₹54L. Then you have GST and all.

EVs enjoy 60% import for CBU since they don’t have an engine thus lowest eng disp slab is applicable.

Last edited by Shresth_EV : 12th June 2021 at 14:33. Reason: Added link to autocar
Shresth_EV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:33   #89
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The Model 3 launching in India could be RWD only. The test mule is running on standard 18-inch Wheels with aero kit and is shod with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Performance tyres.
The 'Dual Motor' badge is a dead giveaway that its an AWD. Very happy to see it. The dual-motor is the Tesla to buy (for enthusiasts), although a cheaper single-motor RWD should definitely be offered for greater market acceptance & the regular Joe.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:49   #90
BHPian

Tesla Model 3 spotted again in Pune, seems to be going towards ARAI gate.

VIDEO Source
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-img_20210612_144734.jpg  

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-img_20210612_144720.jpg  

udaikalra01 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks