Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2024, 13:48   #1246
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post

Had to drive all the way to Sanpada and waste an hour charging till 80 pct. Again had to stop at HP station at Khalapur for top up. Added 1.5 hours to my journey.
Thats a pretty terrible experience.

Just trying to understand your perspective better. Are you using plugshare because I see 6-7 fast chargers with 7+ score on plugshare in Thane.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_1864.jpeg
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 16:39   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
Modi Hyundai, I agree, doesn't offer charging for any other brand of cars. It's sad and unfortunate, yet common across most showrooms.

I'm surprised with MG as I've witnessed other cars, including Nexon EVs, being charged there in the past. The funny thing though is that they don't have a compatible charger for the Comet that they sell themselves.

Like BHP-ian Lobogris said, use the PlugShare app to find the nearest charger. There is one such charging station I've used about a kilometre away from the MG showroom. Additionally, there are few chargers in Hiranandani Estate and more at Raymonds (just outside the Super Car Club Garage) too.
Hi. The route I took was Pune - Airoli - Kalwa - Pokhran road. Yes I used plugshare app and went to all chargers shown by it

1. OAZA charger in Raymond - Not working
2. Modi Hyundai - did not allow
3. MG - did not allow
4. MSEDCL - App showed charger. Was only a garbage dump there
5. Tata Motors - No charging facility

Return route - Thane - Airoli - Sanpada - HP Recharge, Khalapur - Pune.

Worse it was pouring and it was an extremely harrowing experience. Swore off out of town travel.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 16:42   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngdev View Post
I would urge you to reconsider this unless you have frequent long drives. I mainly use my Nexon EV MR for my office commute. I pay 23,000 in EMIs and save around 10,000 - 12,000 in fuel costs (I have a roof top solar at home). So I am effectively paying only around 10,000 - 13,000 in EMIs.

If it is more than 500Kms I would prefer to take an ICE car especially if there are elders / kids with me.
Yes, I am using it exclusively in the city. That was not my intention though. The car hardly runs as my wife has quit her job, so the saving potential has been nullified considering the premium which I paid over the ICE version.

For long drives I use my UC Hyryder now. Best of both worlds.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 13:44   #1249

So I got my Nexon EV prime XZ+'s third servicing done.

The service advisor had told that software update 16.48 was available. (i believe it was for the HARMAN infotainment system only).

I have got the 16.48 update done. Can feel a little change in the music (less bass, more treble) - Have changed the equalizer setting to rock, and things are working fine.

I also see a new aqua / cyan wallpaper. Any other changelog apart from the above from the last version 16.20? Haven't spent enough time driving after the service so don't know whether the irritating timer slowing down issue is resolved or not. Insights, please.
Old 13th August 2024, 14:58   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting from the other thread, we have a VECU, BMS and IPC update for Nexon Prime. Details on the link (HV Critical Alert in Tata EVs) (HV Critical Alert in Tata EVs)
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 17:15   #1251
BHPian

We (my spouse and I) have been using EVs very regularly for the last three years. We have driven about 78000 kms in EVs, but used them only in city conditions. The following is a summary of our EV experience, and insights from it. We hope this would help people who are considering buying an EV, but are on the fence regarding the decision.

Chapter 1: Tata Nexon EV (July 2021 - June 2024)

The first EV we bought was a Tata Nexon, 3 years back.

We drove Nexon EV for about 75k kms in the last 3 years. We have had our share of positives and negatives.

In the initial days, I had done an analysis on electricity and fuelexpenses (Fuel & Electricity expenses before / after we switched over to an EV). The conclusions from this were encouraging.

Problems

First major problem started at around 30k kms. Battery experienced a sudden discharge, and the battery pack had to be replaced (Review: The Tata Nexon EV)

Then after six months, again it happend (Review: The Tata Nexon EV),

and again (Review: The Tata Nexon EV)

Each time, Tata service center would keep the car for a few days (The second time, it took more than 4 weeks) and they would replace the battery free of cost since it is covered under warranty.

Our take was, ok we are early adopters, so maybe this is part of that experience. So we were planning to keep the car for some more time.

But then, the car's windows apparently 'attained independence' and started opening at random times. Once the window opens, it wouldn't close for about an hour or so. Even after closing, it will suddenly open at random time intervals.

At this point, we have had enough. We decided to change the car. We concluded that the issues faced are *Tata* problems and not *EV* problems.

Deciding on the next car

My wife was clear she wanted to go for an EV again. The driving comfort and not worrying about fuel expenses far outweighed range anxiety or the trouble of charging the car.

Obviously Tata was out of the picture. So, that limited our options. We considered Citroen. But we found that the dealer in Bangalore appeared to be closed down (not sure about it - but the dealer was not listed in Citroen India website).

Looked at Hyundai. Ioniq5 was a no-brainer, but then we had a hard-constraint that this should be a small'ish' car (we have another SUV). Ioniq is rather large, hence did not consider. We would have opted for the Kona, but the model looked old and we thought it might be replaced soon.

Briefly looked at BYD - but did not get the confidence, and the design of interiors was not appealing to us. Vehicle size criteria also did not match our requirements.

That left us MG ZS EV. Our neighbour had one and they gave a positive review. The dimensions were acceptable. The pricing was such that at least one model was there that did not attract the Karnata govt's tax for EV that costs more than 25L

So we bought MG ZS EV about a month back. Gave Nexon to MG's used car dealer at a low price - but then, they compensated with a generous exchange bonus.

Chapter 2: MG ZS EV (July 2024 - )

Buying experience

Buying the car from MG, Mysore road dealership, was without a question the worst car buying experience in our 20years of car buying. The sales person somehow got obsessed with convincing us to sell our existing car at a lower price, rather than convincing us to buy the MG. Anyways, after some weeks the sales manager intervened and offered an exchanged bonus and that convinced us to go ahead. Also we thought we do not have to deal with the sales guy after we buy the vehicle, that helped us to take the decision.

Initial Impressions

We have been using this car for slightly more than a month now. Have driven about 2700kms.

We love the fit and finish of the car. Interiors looks luxurious. The large display is well placed and it blends well into the overall scheme of things. Front seats are comfortable, offers good support.

Backseat comfort is not upto the mark. The ride feels really stiff. Sitting in the backseat for some time, especially if the road is uneven, induces slight motion sickness. Recommended tyre pressure is 40psi. I am not sure if this is contributing to the rough ride.

This is a feature rich car. Panoramic sunroof - though I have never figured out when to use it in Bangalore city - is a 'feel-good' feature. The center display screen has many touch controls for almost everything in the car. On the negative side, I find that these touch controls are not very user friendly - physical controls are much better to use when you are driving. Tactile feedback is more user-friendly.

There are certain quirks as well. E.g.: when you start the car, it starts playing the radio at a set volume, regardless of whatever setting you may have changed it to, previously.

Android Auto/Apple carplay - only wired. not wireless. Wireless charging of mobiles is supported.

Driving - Is always a pleasure. But then thats the case with all EVs and not MG particularly. The ease with which you can overtake, weave through traffic etc is such a pleasure with an EV.

Range - Increased range is a life-saver. The range at full charge shows 400kms, but we think max we will get is 350+ (havent verified it), but even this increases the flexibility considerably. We never used to take Nexon to airport, worried about the range. With MG we do not think twice about it. Charging frequency also reduced.

Audio system is not as good as what Nexon had, but acceptable quality.

Charging - MG's installation team installed a 7KW wall-charger at home. The charger is supplied by a company called Exicom. The model of the charger is 'Spin'. Since I do not have 7KW approved load, installation team brought down the charging capacity to 3.3KW. In addition to this, MG provides a portable charger that will work with any 15A socket. But I think this works at 2KW or 2.5KW. So it is bound to take long hours to charge completely. Our Spin wall charger takes about 7 to 8 hours, but that is usually from 40% to 100%.

Once or twice in the last one month, we have charged the car at Zeon fast charging as well. Unlike Tata, who generally has a cautious approach towards fast charging (e.g.: they strongly suggest slow charging to 100% after two fast charging sessions etc), MG does not give any caution about it. We will have to see if there will be any battery issues if we frequently fast-charge.

Insights from our EV ownership

From our experience so far, having an EV for city commute is a no-brainer. I do not see any reason for someone not to go for it, if their initial budget allows for an EV.

But when it comes to having an EV as the *only* car in the household, we are not that confident. Mainly because we never had that experience. We have always had an SUV for long distance trips. But that does not mean that another family cannot consider having EV as their only car. Long trips will have to be planned well, locating fast chargers, stops in between etc.

With Nexon EV, we had a practical range of 220 -230 kms. this was not confident inspiring for taking the car outside the city. But with MG's 350+ km range, I feel much more confident and less worried about the same. Extrapolating, I think 600km range would be the point at which I would confidently say that my only car can be an EV. At the same time, reliable charging providers like Zeon gives some peace of mind. If Zeon expands their network and provides charging points along our usual long distance routes, I would feel more confident to use MG as the only car.

Electricity charges were not a problem, especially since we have a solar installation. Even otherwise, from our Nexon based calculations, the increase in electricity bill was approx Re. 1 per EV Km run.

Charging - our sanctioned load is 5KW from BESCOM. We find it rather limiting. It might be a good idea to have at least 9KW or even 12KW approved load to make your house 'future proof'. If feasible solar panel installation with net-metering should be considered.

Finally, we look forward to having more options to choose from. Preferably from Hyundai, Toyota and such. Tata products might be OK, but they do not have the systems and processes to handle the support and maintenance of large number of cars they sell. Going by our experience of owning Hyundai and Toyota (ICE) cars in the past, they know how to put in place the right support processes, combined with the general reliability their products offer, if they bring out sub-25L EVs, I am sure it will help in the overall EV adoption in India.
GS300 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 23:51   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post

So we bought MG ZS EV about a month back. Gave Nexon to MG's used car dealer at a low price - but then, they compensated with a generous exchange bonus.
Congrats for the new MG ZS EV.
Experiences like this surely motivate people to jump on the EV Bandwagon
EVs are really helpful in reducing the everyday travel fuel costs.

We are still unable to decide whether to shift to EV as our daily running is around 30-35 km daily in the city traffic.

PS:- What price did you sell the Nexon EV for?
Asking because, we have come across an opportunity to buying a pre owned Nexon EV but unable to decide on a price.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 09:32   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post

We are still unable to decide whether to shift to EV as our daily running is around 30-35 km daily in the city traffic.

Asking because, we have come across an opportunity to buying a pre owned Nexon EV but unable to decide on a price.
For reference friend of mine bought a 2022 Nexon Prime top end with 7k on ODO from Spinny for 12L
mally2 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 15:26   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post

Thank you! Our daily commute is between 80 to 90km (40-45km one way) daily. 6 days a week. We havent had a problem (i.e.: not EV specific issue - products problems are listed below) in the last 3 years. But you need to consider if you have stable electric supply - i.e.: no frequent power shutdowns, load-shedding etc.

Quote:
We sold it for 7L. 2021 model Nexon EV (not the top-end variant, the one below that, without sunroof etc) with 75000kms run.

Last edited by GS300 : 15th August 2024 at 15:32.
GS300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 16:01   #1255
BHPian

Its interesting to see the prices for the second hand EVs. I am actually looking for a second hand vehicle as I might need one in few months. I checked the prices online and they are quite mouth watering. So far I have identified 2 issues, (a) only Nexon EVs are on offer and (b) unlike ICE vehicles (wherein they are practically new in initial 1-2 years), a lot can do wrong in EVs especially HV critical error in Tata.
Old 15th August 2024, 16:53   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Its interesting to see the prices for the second hand EVs. I am actually looking for a second hand vehicle as I might need one in few months. I checked the prices online and they are quite mouth watering. So far I have identified 2 issues, (a) only Nexon EVs are on offer and (b) unlike ICE vehicles (wherein they are practically new in initial 1-2 years), a lot can do wrong in EVs especially HV critical error in Tata.
Well I can assure you EVs that are 3-4 years old with 50K plus on ODO feel much newer than a 1-2 year ICe car. There battery degradation is less than 2% and the break pads would still have 80% of life due to regen. Almost nothing vibrates or loosens up due to no engine vibrations. Try to drive a 3-4 year old Nexon Ev to experience it
mally2 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 18:00   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Well I can assure you EVs that are 3-4 years old with 50K plus on ODO feel much newer than a 1-2 year ICe car. There battery degradation is less than 2% and the break pads would still have 80% of life due to regen. Almost nothing vibrates or loosens up due to no engine vibrations. Try to drive a 3-4 year old Nexon Ev to experience it
+1 to this
During my scout for the Nexon EV drove a 4 year old (2020) Nexon EV prime run 75k and found it better than a 2021 Venue Turbo (both same owner).

There were no extra noises from the EV squeaking here and there but overall it was fine for a 4 year old car that was run 80% in city.

I also found it easy to check the mechanicals of EV than ICE since battery condition can be easily checked via the service centre report while no such report particularly for Gearbox(DCT) or Engine (complex Turbo ones)
Tanmay_868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 17:44   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Well I can assure you EVs that are 3-4 years old with 50K plus on ODO feel much newer than a 1-2 year ICe car. There battery degradation is less than 2% and the break pads would still have 80% of life due to regen.
The EV might feel better than a similarly used ICE vehicle but your estimate of battery degradation is too low. Tata doesn't allow access to degradation figures easily but on MG ZS, most vehicles lose about 5 to 10% battery to degradation in 2 years. Tata uses LFP and thus it might be slightly lower but you should expect at least 5 to 7% degradation in a 2 year old EV.
Old 19th August 2024, 17:53   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The EV might feel better than a similarly used ICE vehicle but your estimate of battery degradation is too low. Tata doesn't allow access to degradation figures easily but on MG ZS, most vehicles lose about 5 to 10% battery to degradation in 2 years. Tata uses LFP and thus it might be slightly lower but you should expect at least 5 to 7% degradation in a 2 year old EV.
MG ZS loosing 5 to 10%, how many km is it driven. Unless those reporting such a loss are from the older pre facelift 44 kWh NMC version.
Old 19th August 2024, 22:18   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Sir sorry you are wrong

LFP batteries degrade as per charge cycle and not time. So in my tiago ev group we have 45k kms run tiago ev at 97% SOH. My ev is 20k kms and at 99% SOH. And TASS does share if you insist. Having. Good relationship with SA helps.

There is a MG user who has clocked 120k kms and SOH is at 96.xx%

Please see a spinny example of a 63k run 2021 Nexon ev SOH is 97%. Just check their app you will find this example.

Last edited by mally2 : 19th August 2024 at 22:20.
mally2 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks