Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 10:36   #1096

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Regarding the number of failures, I only have anecdotal information. In my BLR whatsapp group, we have about 500 members.. I joined the group in march, and have already seen atleast 10 or so people getting battery replaced. Most of the failures are people who have atleast 2 year old cars. I also assume that majority of the group, is more recent buyers.. So conservatively I would guess about 5% failure rate, which is a enormous number considering the cost of the battery, and that this is a main stream consumer product.

As for the replacement battery, I think a few of them said they were getting refurbished battery, not new batterys (could be wrong). In any case TATA is only on the hook for the 8 years. I think the typical car in India, lasts about 12-14 years, so the car still has a lifetime after the 8 year period.

As for blusmart thery have several things going for them..
1. They likely will replace the car in a 2-3 years or so.
2. Fast Charging folks are typically in a hurry, likely they will stop at 70-80% and keep moving, after which the charging rate slows down anyway.
3. Even assume they charge to 100%, the car will not stay long in this state, and probably will discharge all the way down to 20-30% before getting charged again. Whereas a typical consumer who commutes (especially short distances) will still have a high battery level at the end of the commute, and will end up ageing the battery much faster.

In any case my intent was to educate people to not blindly charge to 100% each time, and be aware of behaviours that lower battery life, and I think there are enough points discussed so folks can make this decision on their own (somebody just jumping into this thread please read : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...00-187075.html, Also EV MAX owners look like zconnect has a option to cutoff charging at some percentage).

I haven't seen any con discussed for the strategy suggested in the link, just that "it is LFP, you *may* still be okay if you dont follow it, which I personally don't beleive applies to everyone".
ev_wannabe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 13:12   #1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev_wannabe View Post
(somebody just jumping into this thread please read : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...00-187075.html,
Sorry the correct link is https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...00-187075.html
ev_wannabe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 16:54   #1098

Stiff & Lifeless Steering on our new Prime Dark Edition

My father recently brought home a Nexon EV Prime Dark Edition to replace his Swift AMT diesel.

We also have a Taigun GT 1.5 DSG and a Seltos GT Diesel Auto in our garage and this is our first EV experience.

After driving the Nexon around the city & highway a few times now, I find the steering very stiff and lifeless while in the center. It also has a fraction of delay while navigating.

In comparison, the steering feel on the Taigun is precise while the Seltos is easy going and neither suffers from the stiffness and lag that I find on the Nexon. Even the outgoing Swift had a better steering feel than the Nexon.

My question to owners: Is this normally how the Nexon steering is or should we get it looked at by the Tata workshop ?
Old 15th May 2023, 21:46   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Re: Stiff & Lifeless Steering on our new Prime Dark Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajahSaheb View Post
My question to owners: Is this normally how the Nexon steering is or should we get it looked at by the Tata workshop ?
Though my car is EV max but i think they share the same steering rack. Mine is not stiff at lower speeds or standing. Yes it gets weighted when the speed picks up.

Please get tyre pressure checked and if that doesn't alleviate ask the service center to check.
Old 17th May 2023, 09:28   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
My father recently brought home a Nexon EV Prime Dark Edition to replace his Swift AMT diesel.

Yes the steering is quite stiff/ hard at low speeds. I have specifically mentioned this issue in my '6 months update' post above. I did ask the SA after the test drive and he mentioned that the steering has been stiffened up to handle all that torque you get in sport mode else the car may fly in any direction
Eco_boost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 16:10   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No it's not stiff at all but perfectly calibrated. It's a bit higher for me though as I prefer my steering low down. Have completed 12 K and no issues for me.
Old 18th May 2023, 16:58   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post

Rest you can read the Tata provided owner manual. It is clearly written - It is recommended to charge up to 100%
during every charging for best performance of battery pack.

Attachment 2450707
This one line in the manual creates headaches for everyone in the EV space in India. Tata owners insist on charging till 100% at public DC stations even at 6 and 4kW to fill up their cars even if people are waiting.
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 17:10   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
This one line in the manual creates headaches for everyone in the EV space in India. Tata owners insist on charging till 100% at public DC stations even at 6 and 4kW to fill up their cars even if people are waiting.
I don't think people are charging on public DC charging network to 100% due to this statement. The groups that I am part of we specifically promote that you exit the charger once your car reaches 90%.
Old 30th May 2023, 01:39   #1104

This is a case of how my relationship with my Tata Nexon EV turned sour.

I have previously used this forum to discuss issues with the car and the EV charging infrastructure in general, but this is the final nail in the coffin.

I was never fully convinced with the prospect of having an EV, but with fuel costs reaching the roof, we thought of it as a practical decision. The math added up and it was a great deal of savings.

However, I always struggled with 4 things.
One, the range on offer.
Two, the public charging infrastructure.
Three, the company provided charger.
Four, the service by Tata.

Let's start with the range. The company-claimed 312 km/charge was merely a pipe dream. Most people get 200-220 km. My specific car barely touched 170-180 in the first couple months of ownership. The company said it might be due to driving with a heavy foot, which I may have believed. The problem with that logic is, my father also drives this car, and used to get the same range, and he is the most sedate driver I know. Even then, it was manageable.
Lately, we've been getting 120 km range at max, which is nothing short of abhorrent. Luckily, we have a 2-car garage so we always had a backup.

But it still didn't solve all our problems. We are a family of 5, with 4 people having an active lifestyle that involves going out multiple times a day. Sometimes it is difficult to manage even with 2 cars and a bike, but most times it works.

Now we have arrived at what has completely wiped off my faith in Tata and their EVs.

In the last couple months, we've sent the car to the service centre at least 4 times due to range and charging related issues. Every time the car would charge till 60%, the charger would start blinking red and the car would still show as charging and would display a faux charging percentage that would drop as soon as you start driving.

The problem could've been with the battery, the charger, or even our specific charging point. To eliminate possibilities, we charged at a family friend's house with our charger, and then their charger. Same problem persisted. It was becoming more apparent that the problem is with the car. For the 5th time, we sent the car to the service centre and this time insisted for a thorough diagnosis. After a few days, they confirmed there is a problem with the battery. My question is, how was this not diagnosed earlier? The more frustrating part is, they kept my car for more than a week, almost 10 days, and did not give any updates as to what's happening and when we'll get the car back.

In the meantime, we had to manage with 1 car between the 5 of us, which meant that I had to often resort to driving my bike in 43-degree heat in the hottest May we've had in ages. All of this with close to no communicating from Tata. Finally, when we got the car back, suddenly the "charger" was the problem and it was replaced. This happened yesterday morning. And tonight, when I plugged the "new" charger in, it would blink the red light from the very moment I switched it on.

In short, I am done with this car and the abysmal service from Tata. At this point, even if they offer to replace the car or even give me a Harrier in exchange, I'd run away from it. I want nothing to do with Tata Motors. I'm just going to cut my losses, and replace the car with a Hyundai or a Kia.

I wish the best for all Indian manufacturers, but I can see Tata's downfall being just as quick as their rise, if they don't step up the way they deal with customer grievances.

The sad part is, the car is brilliant to drive. I'm going to miss that instant torque and smooth power delivery. A true driver's car. But no amount of performance is enough to trade for my peace of mind.
iceguy101 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 10:59   #1105
Senior - BHPian

The larger infotainment screen is making its way to other variants as well.

ashutoshb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 16:44   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceguy101 View Post
The sad part is, the car is brilliant to drive. I'm going to miss that instant torque and smooth power delivery. A true driver's car. But no amount of performance is enough to trade for my peace of mind.
It is really sad to hear the issues that you had to face. I know Tata service center should have handled your issues better.

1. Have tried changing your service center? Sometimes this helps as some centers are better at handling issues than others.
2. Are you part of any EV groups for Mumbai or Maharashtra region. If not, join tataev club by filling out a form, there are a lot of people who can help you and people who can help escalate the matter.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 17:36   #1107

Quote:
Sometimes this helps as some centers are better at handling issues than others.
Yes, I've sent the car to different authorised service centres, the issue persists.

Just today morning, had the Tata team visit my residence to fix the issue. They fixed the charger issue by resetting the cache. However, the range issue persists. Was told "drive more on highways to improve range". I can't possibly change my entire lifestyle just to comply to the car's capabilities.

I have to say, the team who worked on the issue today were professional and technically sound. Props to them there. Alas, the issue persists.

As for the groups, I'm not a part of them. I shall look into those. Thank you for the suggestion! I hope no one else is going through these issues.
iceguy101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 21:32   #1108
FNM
BHPian

It is so disheartening to hear stories like this of Tata cars. I would dearly love to buy a Tata EV , but I simply do not want to get stranded on the road, or take the car to the service centre frequently. One lives in hope that their cars will get more reliable soon.
Old 30th May 2023, 23:35   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceguy101 View Post
However, the range issue persists. Was told "drive more on highways to improve range". I can't possibly change my entire lifestyle just to comply to the car's capabilities.
Thanks for the update. I will say range depends alot of multiple factors
1. Time of the day as in the afternoon, the AC usage will be heavier
2. AC temperature
3. Tyre pressure
4. Kind of traffic encountered during the drive.

To give you an example, i travelled in my max from gurgaon to sirsa - 282 kms of distance in 88% battery with cruise set to 80% for most of journey. I started at 4 in the evening. The same journey back to gurgaon, i covered 282 kms in almost 100% ( did top up on the way). It was some number of passengers and luggage. Only difference I started at 1PM in the afternoon for the return journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNM View Post
It is so disheartening to hear stories like this of Tata cars. I would dearly love to buy a Tata EV , but I simply do not want to get stranded on the road, or take the car to the service centre frequently. One lives in hope that their cars will get more reliable soon.
Tata EV products have refined alot after Nexon Max and Tiago EV. These are the second iteration of the EV products. Their reliability is much better.
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 00:26   #1110
FNM
BHPian

Quote:
Tata EV products have refined alot after Nexon Max and Tiago EV. These are the second iteration of the EV products. Their reliability is much better.
I’m sure the quality has improved compared to the past, but it still has a long long way to go before reliability becomes a non-issue, as it should be. However we live in hope.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks