Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 06:06   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Hi guys

I’ve booked a nexon EV, the delivery is supposed to be in a few days; basically once I make the full payment. Should happen in the next week or so. Car already has been allotted to me - want to know where can I do a quick check of the VIN for month of manufacturing.

I’ve booked through Puneet auto in Mumbai; they seem just about average but hopefully don’t have to deal with them too much.

One question-how many days do Tata guys take to come and install the charger at home?
Hi. Congrats. I too am expecting the car to be delivered this week. I was told that Tata Power will call me after the delivery and install it in 2/3 days post delivery. I have booked the XZ+ DArk variant. How about u?
Palio_2005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 08:14   #932
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Hi. Congrats. I too am expecting the car to be delivered this week. I was told that Tata Power will call me after the delivery and install it in 2/3 days post delivery. I have booked the XZ+ DArk variant. How about u?
Congratulations to you too!
I’ve booked XZ+, dark edition looks very nice but incredibly difficult to maintain! I’ve booked teal colour even though my personal preference is always for a white coloured car

How much did you end up paying for insurance? Is the dealer forcing you to buy insurance from him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruichladdich View Post

My advice, just buy the car before subsidy and stock runs out. You won't regret, especially when the electricity bill comes which is dirt cheap compared to fuel prices.
Thanks buddy.
I’ve booked the car and waiting for delivery in the next week. Managed to get subsidy on the vehicle, so it hurts less when I drive over the non existent roads in Bombay. Happy bcos the registration + road tax is only 5445 INR
Hopefully the car serves well, buying a Tata vehicle after exactly 20 yrs, last one being the Indica!

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th August 2022 at 08:24. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
RJK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 17:08   #933
BHPian

Hello Everyone.

So I drove from Vile Parle, Bombay to Tata Motors Car Showroom, Tathawade, Pune.

Distance = 142kms.

I can give you an amazing feedback with & without Prime software update which has cruise control, regen levels etc.

So from Bombay, I started driving at 100% battery. I stopped at McDonalds, Navi Mumbai with 80% battery left.

Then moved on to HP Petrol Pump after Khalapur Expressway Toll Tax to charge. I had 67% battery left. I did have some range anxiety the way battery percentage was dropping when I started driving on expressway so I wanted to charge but unfortunately, there was no power since last night and they told me to head Lonavala to charge. I still wasn't worried much as I had 67% battery left to reach Lonavala. But then something came to my surprise. The car uses high level of battery on uphill towards Lonavala. I was worried but knew that I would easily make it to Lonavala. One thing to note, I wasn't using A/C when I got on expressway as I was having range anxiety, I didn't want to make it worst.

I reached Lonavala Wax Museum with 49% of battery left. Please note once again, I was driving without A/C right from Expressway till the end of my journey towards Pune. It was raining heavy, there was dense fog and the weather was beautiful but I was glad that the charger was working absolutely fine. It doesn't take much time to charge upto 95% and then the charging speed slows down. So my advice, always charge upto 95% and leave from there. I charged to 95% and cost me Rs.369.31 including GST with 14.226 units consumed. It's a Statiq charger at Lonvala Wax Museum and works flawless.

I reached Tata Showroom Tathawade, Pune with 74% battery left. I would have still reached easily without any charging towards Pune but as I said, I had range anxiety since it was my first time.

I got my car updated to Nexon Prime software. I charged again to 95% at Tata Motors, Tathawade, Pune and left for Bombay. Driving from Pune to Lonavala, I selected regen level 2 and went on to cruise control at 75kmph. I know many of you'll will find very unrealistic but I did try to cruise at 80-85kmph and the traffic didn't allow me to go smoothly. At 75-77kmph, I was easily able to go smoothly on the middle lane without any hassle. All the cars and sometimes even trucks passed by but that didn't bother me. I was focused on range. Mind you, I drive at much higher speeds with my Audi A4 so I'm very spoilt and I don't think I've had such immense patience while driving ever. At one time, I was even bored but I learnt one thing, you can use cruise control in India at the right speed without any problems.

While I was driving, I was trying to tweak around with regen levels too and I learnt something big which totally changed the game. I switched off the regen levels and went on to cruise control. My range just stopped dropping like it did before from Mumbai to Pune. It felt as if the car went on to the beast mode. And when the downhill came from Lonavala, regen level off helped me not only to let the car cruise by itself but also the braking towards downhill increased the range by 15-20kms and not a single percentage of battery dropped.

What I learnt? while driving on expressway, keep your regen levels off so the car uses least acceleration while it's on cruise control and at the time of downhill, braking will help a lot to generate energy. You just don't need to accelerate when the downhill starts.

I stopped by at IOCL, Khalapur. At this point, I had 70% battery. Honestly, I wanted to drive throughout without any charging, still I went to check how's the charging station and what's there to eat nearby. Turns out, both the chargers were not working. I went to buy vada pav and left from there trusting regen level off + cruise control will work and it DID!

I missed taking left lane under the flyover for Mankhurd so I went on to the flyover, reached Chembur and I had to switch on the A/C now because I still had about 50% battery left and it was hot in Bombay. All this while without A/C, the weather was fantastic. Sometimes it was raining and it was very cool about 25-22*C from Pune to Lonavala. Since I reached Chembur, I change my regen levels to level 2 as I had entered the city.

Reached home with 38% battery left and I was amazed. Lots of things I learnt in my first ever Tata Nexon EV trip from Bombay to Pune return.

1. Infrastructure is damn poor. There are hardly any charging stations and if there are, be prepared for any kind of adventure. The most common, power outage and chargers not working or they're having error.

2. The guy at Lonavala Wax Museum said there's line of cars in queue to charge on weekends. So plan your trip accordingly. I went on a weekday so it was all empty. We need A LOT of chargers and they must work at the same time.

3. You have to drive at slow speed. I cannot guarantee you what would happen if you drive above 90-100kmph that also with A/C on. If someone has driven, please share your experiences.

4. Regen Levels & Cruise Control HELPS, period. I would suggest you to get your car updated with prime software and then plan for an outstation driving cause it really helps a lot.

5. Always check for elevation on your route you're planning to travel (google maps). It helps a lot. Downhill will not burn even a single percentage if you know how to drive.

Other than that, I was very excited to drive my Nexon EV outstation and yes it was full of adventure but I don't think it can be a regular thing like driving at such low speeds is very frustrating. Though I don't know the story what happens if you drive at 100kmph but my average speed was 70kmph and it got really boring at one point.

Nevertheless, it was exciting and adventurous. Kudos to Tata for giving us the car that's so reliable. If anything was reliable out of this journey, it was my Tata Nexon EV. Went through the worst kind of roads in the most worst conditions and gave the right amount of range and battery percentage. Yes, I did have the anxiety because I'm new and it was my first time. But the more I'll drive, the more I'll learn and be confident and have less range anxiety. At one time, I've driven Nexon EV from Vile Parle to Marine Lines and came back from 35% to 17% battery left. That kind of confidence I got after travelling for work daily.

Thank you Tata for giving us superb EV car at the most affordable price (after subsidy). Indian Govt has a lot to step up for EV market. The most simple job they need to do is give 24/7 power supply everywhere
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-mcdonals.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-mcdonals-stop.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-leaving-mcdonals.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-hp.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-hp2.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-lonavla-wax.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-charher-wax.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-lonavala-wax.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-lonavala-wax-2.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-leaving-lonavala-wax.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-lonavala-pune-midway.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-leaving-pune.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-iocl.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-towards-mumbai.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-reached-mumbai.jpeg  

Bruichladdich is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 00:53   #934
BHPian

Range anxiety goes off after few highway trips, I don't have it anymore, I have twice reached a charging station with less than 5% left

Rain is an enemy for EV charging station in our country, our infra and the guys maintaining just go trigger happy when it rains and switch off immediately. You have to be careful on your monsoon trips.

Lastly, you have hit upon the perfect piece of advice, regen off on highways on flat roads and regen on to the max level when going down ghats, it saves your brake pads too.
DarthVeda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 07:46   #935
Senior - BHPian

Hi all. We welcomed the New member in our family yesterday. This will be my wifes car and one used for all the city run abouts. Delivery experience was very smooth with a cake cutting ceremony and small pooja. Keeping the car in regen mode 3 in city helps get good mileage. Did a short run on highway and regen is best switched off so the car can coast along. Built like a tank its a good solid car. Couple of things I would have liked, a conventional gear, better lights, slightly powerful aircon, better fit and finish. Tata is just not up there at Hyundai level. I wonder why? Tata have done away with the charger lock on the dash. Apparently people used to get confused how to remove the charger. So after switching the charging off, one needs to wait for 30 secs.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-29a7f714fc424ae8906257ef6f6fb7fd.jpeg  

Palio_2005 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 17:02   #936

Any suggestions on a good dash cam (front & rear) that wont void warranty? also, will it replace the existing irvm?
Old 29th August 2022, 18:28   #937
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all. We welcomed the New member in our family yesterday. This will be my wifes car and one used for all the city run abouts. Delivery experience was very smooth with a cake cutting ceremony and small pooja. Keeping the car in regen mode 3 in city helps get good mileage. Did a short run on highway and regen is best switched off so the car can coast along. Built like a tank its a good solid car. Couple of things I would have liked, a conventional gear, better lights, slightly powerful aircon, better fit and finish. Tata is just not up there at Hyundai level. I wonder why? Tata have done away with the charger lock on the dash. Apparently people used to get confused how to remove the charger. So after switching the charging off, one needs to wait for 30 secs.
Congrats on your new car!
One question, have you installed a separate meter for charging the car or will it be the same as your house/apartment electricity meter? If yes, how much did you have to pay to get the additional meter installed?

Thanks & enjoy the new ride!

I just made my final payment for the car today. Suffice to say, there are miles to go before one can buy TATA products blindly. For my own satisfaction, I went to do a PDI of the car that was allotted to me by TATA motors, assuring that they have done me a favour by diverting someone else's car as I was making full payment. Realised upon reaching the stock yard on my own (2hrs away from where I stay) that it was just a cock and bull story. The car allotted to me was infact a July '22 vehicle & was standing in the stock yard since 29h July '22 (I went to the stock yard on 26th August which makes it nearly a month of standing). Not just that, there were newer unallotted cars. Obviously the sales guy feigned ignorance and then had the cheek to ask me how many cars have arrived in the stock yard! I mean, look at the shameless & pathetic behaviour!!

I spent 4 hours at their stockyard updating the dealer about their stock position & selected a vehicle for myself which had arrived in the stockyard just few days ago. Saw multiple cars & must say that handling of vehicles by TATA motors &/or their dealer is really abysmal. I could not find a single car that did not had scratches on the body! And ofcourse, TATA motors representative & dealer both said that all cars arrive like this only.

Anyway, I selected a car (even that one has scratches, some of them even catch the nail) and got assurance from stating all scratches will be removed & deeper ones will have panels repainted with exact colour match.

Needless to say, I will certainly not venture with an expensive TATA vehicle any further even though I love the Harrier. Just not worth the headache.

Last edited by RJK : 29th August 2022 at 18:45.
RJK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 01:22   #938
Senior - BHPian

@RJK hope you get your car soon. Have taken the connection from our regular 3 phase meter. No new meter is needed unless you intend to fit a fast charger. Tata power gives 15 meters of free cable and installation free. Usually they come within 24 hours from delivery. Better to take NOC of your society as Tata power need it for their records. Luckily the handling at my Pune dealer was good and my car was scratch less inspite of being the dark edition. Have given it for ceramic treatment and getting film on the door handles, door edges and other high exposure areas. Ceramic coating is from Waxoyl.
Palio_2005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 20:05   #939
Senior - BHPian

One question. My battery shows 53 pct charge and 160 kms. Till now we have been only driving in the city. Shld I expect it to drop rapidly? Shall I wait till it drops to 20 pct and charge again? Dont want to be caught off guard. Car will be used only in city drive
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 21:43   #940
BHPian

Quote:
One question. My battery shows 53 pct charge and 160 kms. Till now we have been only driving in the city. Shld I expect it to drop rapidly? Shall I wait till it drops to 20 pct and charge again? Dont want to be caught off guard. Car will be used only in city drive
I always charge at 40% not because of range anxiety but my plans are always unexpected where to go. Sometimes there are short trips and sometimes long trips within the city. 53% is a very healthy battery percentage. I don't think you need to charge unless you reach 40-45%.

Once I had 35% and I drove car from my home to work which is 22kms distance one way. I came back with 17% left. So it really depends on your plans. If you have only short trips within the city, 30% is the ideal time you should charge.
Bruichladdich is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 21:17   #941
BHPian

Quote:
I have gone till 10% before going for a charge, Once I left my home with 12% for a visit to MD of BESCOM (Electric Distributor) in KR Circle, which was 8km from my home. I was confident of reaching there and charging at their office just to prove a point. I don't think you should ever worry about range anxiety within city. You will always find an FC nearby or worse yet, a relative or friend's house to slow charge for few KMs.
DarthVeda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:18   #942
Senior - BHPian

Hi all. Thanks for your answers. I find the bulbs of the EV especially the low beam inadequate. Has anyone upgraded their stock bulbs?
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 22:41   #943
BHPian

I suggest you join the telegram channel for Pan India nexon ev owners group (https://www.nexonevowners.club/) for this type of queries, there are few who have upgraded.
Personally, I rarely use high beam on my car even on highways, in city, where it is flooded with Sodium vapour lamps, switching from low to high doesn't make any difference nor does putting a powerful one. For Highway driving, I felt the occasional high beam switch to see any obstacles was good enough, given that most of my driving would be around 80kph.
Old 2nd September 2022, 14:58   #944

That was very insightful. I have been driving my Nexon EV from Marine Drive to near Fariyas in Lonavala every week. Its 95 kms on Google Maps but the tripmeter always shows 100-101. In my other cars, it shows the correct distance. I always finish the trip with about 30% to spare. On the return leg, I finish the trip with 40% to spare mainly due to the downhill ghats. Extremely happy with the car. It has been 11 months since we got it.
Auduar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:29   #945
BHPian

Hello EV Friends & Everyone else!
Hope you'll are doing well.

So I happened to drive on Mumbai - Pune expressway again. This time I was travelling to Khandala. I decided not to charge on the way as my previous journey had lot of insights and I was confident to reach Khandala without any hassle.

I started at 100% battery from Vile Parle, Mumbai to Khandala and I reached with 42% battery left. Next day, my driver charged at Lonavala Wax Museum and he came with 92%. I drove from Khandala with 92% battery and reached home with 53% battery left.

I had A/C on throughout the journey. This time I wanted to speed up, I was literally bored driving at 80kmph last time so my average speed was about 100-110kmph which was fun and better. Also, I touched about 120kmph few times. I just didn't care about the battery and it went pretty smooth.

Overall, Mumbai - Lonavala/Khandala is a very smooth ride without worrying about battery. But you need to charge once while coming back. It is possible to do return trip without charging but that would require some discipline driving or may be A/C off.

-----

I want to know if anybody is using EV Travel Charging Kit. I wanted to buy one but thought why so much fuss for one night stay. I don't even travel frequently to Lonavala or Pune so I didn't really bother. But would love to know more as I am very keen to drive Mumbai - Goa.

https://aha.store/product/ev-travel-charging-kit/

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_4858.jpg  

Bruichladdich is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks