Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 11:54   #211
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Here is a video shared by PlugInIndia which takes 3 Nexon EVs and 1 MG ZS EV for a trip of 170KM !

Quote:
Distance covered : 170KM
Outside temperature : 28-36*C
A/C : ON
Speed : 60-70 KMPH

Quote:
Few observations :
  • ODO of the Nexon EVs used are more than 5K km, the owners have mastered the EV driving technique.
  • Lowest average consumption seen on a NEV : 110 wh/km , normally it’s damn hard task to go below 119.
  • Highest range estimated by a NEV : 305 KM and other car 279KM , normally it won’t display more than 250KM .
  • One of the car travelled 219KM with juice for another 40KM left in its cells.
  • Nexon EV consumed 65-70% ie 19.63-21.14 KWH battery for 170KM, ZS EV consumed 35% ie 15.4 KWH for the same.
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-c36d2ab4621549f4ab6e05b06c36bf71.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-c0b3fdd9c70a4ba99af3b94298bc7dcd.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-db1f69893da44736ad475a2430f0851e.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-59181e54b8f44d929b144fb17f7f9647.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-c0bbd3ffa9c241fa81e0aa8bb312a79e.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-7012b6da1749435190ddd461bfd5b33f.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-ea41988dfdef4cb1956f6da0a02b7f88.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-83006eed203a42aaa14b26c6bdff74bb.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-0e85adeeaa8048728f5d6cd189ffa50c.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-0565c5592f2a46a98b4e81a477c73aa5.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-4fb8acea828041b7b54ded14f1809cfd.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-6273da533e5e4b7088d222ac44372dd8.jpeg

These owners in the video are part of the owners group , the other fellow owners can learn few tricks from them to maximize the capabilities of their cars. The most important point to note is that their ODO readings of more than 5,000 KM , which is plenty for mastering the EV drive.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 6th October 2020 at 12:20.
TorqueIndia is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 12:14   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

When driven in a relaxed manner, I get 20kmpl in my GTI and quite regularly

There is really nothing specific to driving an EV. There are just good drivers and bad drivers. Gentle acceleration, coasting, anticipating the hurdles ahead and slowing down without braking are the basic skills that any good driver must know, and he will get stellar efficiency out of a 189bhp turbopetrol AT hot hatch too!
anandpadhye is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 20:09   #213
BHPian

I took delivery of Nexon EV XZ+ yesterday. I had requested for Home delivery of the vehicle and the car was delivered by 6PM. Couldn't drive much since I was busy with work. The ODO stands at 26KM with battery at 92% and remaining range is shown as 272KMs. Interesting to see Tata quoting the optimistic ARAI figures in MID.
Holyghost is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:33   #214
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nexon EV prices hiked

Tata has increased the prices of the Nexon EV by upto Rs. 26,000 for the XZ+ and the XZ+ LUX variants. The prices for base XM variant remains unchanged.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon-ev-1.jpg

The SUV comes with new twin-pod headlamps with LED daytime running lights, a new grille, redesigned bumper with blue inserts, fog lamps, and 16-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels.

On the inside, the Nexon EV gets a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and a rotary drive mode selector. The car also gets a reversing camera, sunroof, rain sensing wipers and automatic headlights.

The Nexon EV uses a 30.2 kWh lithium-ion battery that powers an electric motor which has an output of 127 BHP and 245 Nm. The company claims that the car can do a 0-100 km/h sprint in 9.9 seconds. It has two driving modes - Drive and Sport.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon-ev-2.jpg

The battery is said to have an ARAI-certified maximum range of over 312 km on a single charge (MIDC cycle). It has fast charging capability and can be charged to 80% of its capacity using a DC fast charger in 1 hour. Using a standard AC charger, it takes 8-9 hours to charge to 100%. The car also has an energy regeneration function.

Variant-wise prices:
XM: Rs. 13,99,000
XZ+: Rs. 15,25,000
XZ+ LUX: Rs. 16,25,000

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon-ev-3.jpg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon-ev-4.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:42   #215
BHPian

Today I took the vehicle out for a 40KM drive. I had to visit the RTO for registration purposes and the Electricity office for enhancing the sanctioned load.

One thing that stood out was that Tata has reduced the regen on these vehicles. When I took the test drives, Nexon EV had an aggressive regen and I could do 1 pedal driving inside the city. This is one of the things I really liked compared to the E2O which I drive in Bangalore. Brakes had to applied only for complete stopping (This vehicle has creep function). In my Nexon, the regen is really soft and we have to apply brakes for slowing down. Brake pedal increases the regen and considerably slows down the car during its initial few CMs of travel.
Need to drive the vehicle a lot more to understand the brake pedal cut off point from where the brake pads takes over the task of braking. I wish Tata had given an option to adjust the regen.

I still haven't found a good seating position. When I set the seat and steering to my comfortable position, the steering blocks the view to speedometer. I need to increase the steering height to an uncomfortable height to get full view of the speedometer. I need to try out different seat positions and angles.

I was surprised to see wheels not straight warning on the MID when I start the car or when I change from N to D with wheels at an angle. I did not see that feature mentioned anywhere. The warning turns green when you make the wheels straight.

Current ODO and range.
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexonodo.jpg

Last edited by Holyghost : 14th October 2020 at 13:55.
Holyghost is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:55   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
One thing that stood out was that Tata has reduced the regen on these vehicles. When I took the test drives, Nexon EV had an aggressive regen and I could do 1 pedal driving inside the city. This is one of the things I really liked compared to the E2O which I drive in Bangalore.

I was surprised to see wheels not straight warning on the MID when I start the car or when I change from N to D with wheels at an angle. I did not see that feature mentioned anywhere. The warning turns green when you make the wheels straight.
Congratulations on your NexonEV !

TML had released the VCU update based on owners feedback, it will be updated continuously based on the database.

Kindly share your usage patterns like monthly/annual running and previous cars .

I guess it's your second EV , kindly share your experiences between Nexon & Reva . Join the WhatsApp community of owners , it's good .
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 15:04   #217

Quote:
I took delivery of Nexon EV XZ+ yesterday. I had requested for Home delivery of the vehicle and the car was delivered by 6PM. Couldn't drive much since I was busy with work. The ODO stands at 26KM with battery at 92% and remaining range is shown as 272KMs. Interesting to see Tata quoting the optimistic ARAI figures in MID.
First up, congrats on your purchase. Wishing happy miles going forward.
I think your delivered car has the latest software version. The MID DTE has nothing to do with ARAI figures. I hope you will get a realistic number after 3-4 charge cycles.

Did you opt for EW ? If so, what price did dealer quote for ? I was told that prices might change in Oct.
AmitSapre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 19:33   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Congratulations on your NexonEV !
Kindly share your usage patterns like monthly/annual running and previous cars .
I guess it's your second EV , kindly share your experiences between Nexon & Reva . Join the WhatsApp community of owners , it's good .
Thank you. This car is for my parents in Kerala and will be primarily a city car. The running will be around 5K KM per year. Usage might increase due to the fact that we dont have to pay for electricity; thanks to grid-tied solar setup at home which has been producing more electricity than we consume for the past 4 years.

I have been using an E2O for the past 3 years in Bangalore. I had even booked an E2O plus for my parents few years back, but the car did not have enough power to climb the steep gradient from my parking area to the main road and had to cancel the booking. We've been searching for a powerful EV since then.

We cannot compare E2O and Nexon EV. E2O is more like a toy, a half baked product that just gets its job done. In an E2O, there is no ergonomics, no suspension, no safety, no boot space. But as a replacement for a 2wheeler that is supposed to transport one or two people from point A to point B within a city, it is a fantastic vehicle. I stopped using my 2 wheelers and my Cruze since the day I purchased the E2O. Last year my E2O did 10K+ KMs while my Cruze hardly ran 2K KMs and my 2 wheeler probably 100KMs. The compact dimensions of the E2O makes it an amazing city vehicle which we can drive through narrow gaps and tight parking spots.

Its too early to comment where and how the Nexon EV fits among these cars. Nexon EV is a proper car and will have to be used as a proper car although with a limited range. It has the safety, comfort, space, features, ergonomics, power and everything that a modern car needs but size and range makes it neither here nor there. I will have to see how it evolves as we drive it more.

I will PM you for the whatsapp group info. I would love to be a part of that community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitSapre View Post
First up, congrats on your purchase. Wishing happy miles going forward.
Did you opt for EW ? If so, what price did dealer quote for ? I was told that prices might change in Oct.
Thank you. I was quoted 25K+gst for 2Yr extended warranty. 1Yr EW was around 19K. I will opt for 2Yr EW when I go to the dealer to collect my number plates.
Holyghost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 11:29   #219
Senior - BHPian

Nexon EV Tree plantation drive

Come join us for a TreePlantationDrive at South City Complex, Kolkata on Sunday, 18th October, 2020 from 11 am to 9 pm. Let’s drive for cleaner air together with NexonEV – The Electric SUV powered by Ziptron.
RSVP: Mr. Saurabh Chatterjee (+91- 9937093647)

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20201017_112651.jpg

https://twitter.com/TatamotorsEV/sta...228073472?s=19
Old 19th October 2020, 14:19   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I ask because of my existing issues with TUV AMT. MASS is totally useless and depend on technicians from Mumbai for fixing even a small issue with my AMT. Sometimes my vehicle is at MASS for even 2 weeks and nothing is worked on it.

I don't want to face same issue with EV. If the TASS is incompetent, then it is history repeating itself to me. We cannot get it repaired outside also. This is why I am bit scared to adopt EV.
I would not say that TASS is any more competent than MASS - it often gets down to the quality of that particular location that you visit. Massive variability of experience location to location. But what gives confidence is that EVs are by design trouble free. Very few moving parts and apart from the software, very little to be glitchy. The software has been getting better and better with every successive generation.

Using 2 analogies I often repeat 1) How often do you service your ceiling fan or mixie? Accepted that it is not an apple to apple analogy. The point I wish to make is that electric components are far more reliable than mechanical
2) If you use an Android 9 or 10 smartphone of a half-respectable brand, how often does it hang or heat up? Recall that even the best Android brands until Android 3 or 4 used to heat and re-boot at least a few times a week.

So my submission is that the Nexon EV is already pretty bullet proof and it is getting better with the software updates. To the best of my knowledge, Tata Motors updates the software at no charge and unlike mobile phones, there is no indication that future updates will be discontinued after x amount of years / kms.

Other than the range issue, if your driving pattern fits the profile, I do not see any downside to opting for the Nexon. I say this with considerable heartburn because I opted for a Hexa just before the lockdown without fully considering the Nexon EV. Though I love my Hexa, I am looking over to all the people with Nexon EV's with great envy.

Last edited by Ferruccio : 19th October 2020 at 14:20.
Ferruccio is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 15:03   #221
BHPian

Not sure if it is a Tata glitch that needs service or if it will improve over time. The range estimation of my car is way off. My car shows a remaining range of 201KMs with 43% battery left. I know I am a good EV driver and constantly overshoots the estimated range of my E2O, but this kind of range is breaking the laws of physics and puts me into super human territory. So far I have charged the vehicle only once when at 45% SOC. This time I will wait till the charge drops to 10-20%.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-range_201_43.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Using 2 analogies I often repeat 1) How often do you service your ceiling fan or mixie? Accepted that it is not an apple to apple analogy. The point I wish to make is that electric components are far more reliable than mechanical
2) If you use an Android 9 or 10 smartphone of a half-respectable brand, how often does it hang or heat up? Recall that even the best Android brands until Android 3 or 4 used to heat and re-boot at least a few times a week.
It is not the Motor/Battery and software that we need to worry about since Tata give 8year warranty on those and software glitches will be easy to fix via an update. What we need to worry about is the power electronics that are expensive and its life is unknown. Even in a place like Bangalore, I could not get my old APC inverter (3KW Online) fixed since it was an old model and mother board was no longer available. APC service centers do not do board level repairs. 3rd party repair shops could not get it working either and I am still searching for someone who can fix it.

There are multiple inverters, motor controllers, charge controllers and related electronic items inside an EV. Inside the engine bay, I can see 2 large sealed metal boxes which I believe is the inverter and the Motor controller which will probably cost a few lakhs to replace. Similar electronics will be present near the batteries and charge ports and these items only have 3 Year warranty.

Last edited by Holyghost : 19th October 2020 at 15:16. Reason: Added picture
Holyghost is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:29   #222

Quote:
Not sure if it is a Tata glitch that needs service or if it will improve over time. The range estimation of my car is way off. My car shows a remaining range of 201KMs with 43% battery left. I know I am a good EV driver and constantly overshoots the estimated range of my E2O, but this kind of range is breaking the laws of physics and puts me into super human territory. So far I have charged the vehicle only once when at 45% SOC. This time I will wait till the charge drops to 10-20%.
I will give you simple fix for now. From MID, only look at
  • ODO/trip meter
  • SOC (battery %) value.
SOC & trip meter will give you real world range based on your driving style. Use these reading to plan your trips. You will NOT be stranded anywhere.

DTE is a software calculations which is NOT realistic at this moment. I expect these reading to settle down with more precision with multiple software updates (in future).
AmitSapre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:53   #223
BHPian

there is a big update scheduled from today, BMS, VCU, and other components are getting the patch. The BMS update fixes the issue of entire battery capacity not being utilized and the range being low because of that. After this patch, the usable 28kwh capacity of battery should be utilized. It also fixes ludicrous DTE estimation of 312km and other weird numbers you see.
DarthVeda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 13:53   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
there is a big update scheduled from today, BMS, VCU, and other components are getting the patch. The BMS update fixes the issue of entire battery capacity not being utilized and the range being low because of that. After this patch, the usable 28kwh capacity of battery should be utilized. It also fixes ludicrous DTE estimation of 312km and other weird numbers you see.
That is a big relief. The DTE estimation on this car is a joke. Even a humble E2O was able to calculate the DTE accurately while the Nexon with much more complex electronics was way off; to the extend of getting people stranded. Yesterday, my car was showing 80KM range with 19% battery left.

How do we get the update? Should we visit the service center or do we get it wirelessly?
Old 26th October 2020, 22:28   #225
BHPian

It was sort of, correct in 2.06, but in 2.07, I am fairly sure a software glitch screwed it up and it's all over the place. For me DTE, is a guessometer not an accurate measure. You can safely gauge how much you have consumed for the last session and estimate it.

For getting the update, you will have to hit the service center as the update is quite big in size and won't be OTA. Only telemetrics updates are to be delivered by OTA I believe, not the entire Firmware.

For the low range issue, it was the BMS at fault, not utilizing the entire capacity of battery pack and making the usability to around 23kwh.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks