Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 19:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla Model S manages 647 km range

The Tesla Model S Long Range Plus variant has an EPA-rated range of 402 miles (647 km) on a single charge, which makes it the first-ever electric vehicle to achieve the figure.

Tesla Model S manages 647 km range-smartselect_20200616185838_chrome.jpg

The new EPA-rated range represented a nearly 20 per cent increase in range when compared to the 2019 Tesla Model S 100D with the same battery pack design.

Elon Musk confirmed the development in a series of tweets.

Tesla Model S manages 647 km range-smartselect_20200616173736_twitter.jpg

The Tesla Model S Long Range Plus also received a new aero wheel with customised tyres, updates to the transmission.

All Model S Long Range Plus produced from Jan 2020 have 402 mile range
Mass reduction and standardisation of seats helped in weight savings.

Tesla Model S manages 647 km range-smartselect_20200616185933_chrome.jpg

https://insideevs.com/news/428908/te...t-400-mile-ev/
Venkatesh is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tesla Model S manages 647 km range

Tesla Model S manages 647 km range - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:03   #3
BHPian

This is called Technology demonstration.

While in India, companies are giving 300-400KM (ARAi numbers) as if we can land on Mars with that range.
sunnsood is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Of note here is the EPA certification, which happens to be fairly close to real world range in many scenarios. Ditto for the European WLTP test system, which also happens for be acceptably realistic. In fact, many users routinely exceed EPA certified range in the US. In contrast are the NEDC and ARAI range certifications, which are easily over optimistic by a good 30-50%

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 17th June 2020 at 11:31.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am just in awe of Elon Musk. The guy is disrupting two massive industries, one with massive lobbies and other with gargantuan complexity - the petroleum and car industry and the space industry and is more than successful at them than any 10 odd years old private company has any right to be.

With the upcoming million mile battery, I think soon there will an inflection point when it comes to the buyers in the $30,000 to $50,000 segment. There is not one legacy manufacturer in the world which can compete with Tesla at the moment when it comes to drivetrain efficiency, range plus performance. I dont think they can compete few years down the line either, not atleast offering the same level of car at the same price. And then you think about Tesla the software company and its almost a one horse race so much so that one of the japanese engineer looking at the self driving tech said "We cant do this".
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...cannot-do-this
extreme_torque is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:15   #6
sgm
BHPian

Range concerns are fading day by day and it is definitely going to improve further.

Electric cars are coming fast and before you know, they will be here to almost kill the German sedans. Teslas offer a supercar like performance in a luxury segment price. What they lack today is the range and once it is addressed in a few years, it is going to be tough for the Germans.

Today, for around 40K USD you can get a base Model 3 which is in the price range of a base 330i/C300/A4 but a top-end Model 3 is close in performance to an M3/C63 at a 70% price. Imagine that, a few years down the line, when Tesla starts selling these in India, you would get a Model 3 in the same price range as a German. Don't even talk about a model-S, only a supercar can compete with it.

I was quite surprised by the video below. Though it is not the best handler, look at the results

Last edited by navin : 18th June 2020 at 11:49. Reason: typos
sgm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 21:22   #7

I think it is already late for Tesla to sweep over the electric market. There are already many EV options from the big players and most of the well rounded ones have almost the same desirability of a Tesla. Some of my friends at Sixt say that the demand for EV is still not strong enough in Deutschland to write home about.
Also, there are already many EVs across the spectrum from the Skoda eCitigo, the Seat Mii electric, the Renault Zoe right upto the Audi eTron and the hybrid version of almost all the luxury models. I have driven the VW ID3 at Wolfsburg and found it really great. The guys at VW Wolfsburg also say that the ID3 is well received in the pre-orders. These cars are not only going to make EV's affordable, but will also somewhat take away the novelty and the cool factor of the EV tech in general. That will make Tesla a hard sell particularly when the biggies like BMW, VW group, or even the Koreans come out strong with their models.
So, I would be cautious in making any tall claims about Tesla disrupting the future.
TSourav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 23:15   #8
BHPian

Before you go awe at this news, just keep in mind the best range is achieved at a considerably slower speed. The performance figures (speed/acceleration) is on the opposite side (range) of the same coin. They just are inversely proportional. People were able to achieve this range even sometime back. They just had to drive slower to maximize the range.

I encountered two unusually slow patch of traffic between Omaha and Denver on my drive from Chicago to Denver. Both times there was a Tesla cruising at 70MPH on a 75MPH speed limit. Rest of the traffic was at 85MPH. These were the only times we found a Tesla on the highway in that route. All traffic including semi-trucks were changing to single lane while trying to pass. It was a nuisance in the road.

There are many instances when the estimated range falls short of actual range and it varies heavily on mountain roads and with outside temperature. If you look in forums you can find people who got stranded on the road while their cars have 10s of miles left on the estimator.

By the way, we completed this stretch of road between Omaha and Denver in 7hrs including lunch and bathroom breaks. I just looked at Tesla route planner and it shows 10hrs with four 25 mins stops for charging with a gas savings of $13 on a model 3 long range and all this without any traffic enabled.

My friend picked up a used ’17 Model S last year from a Porsche dealership for $50K which was 50% depreciation for the first year. The reason cited by the first owner for letting it go – Range.
Pontiac is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 23:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
What they lack today is the range and once it is addressed in a few years, it is going to be tough for the Germans.
I am not sure if any owner of a long range Model 3 would think they lack the range to go anywhere. There are some 16k superchargers that are operational today. Today, I don't even think of range when I am planning a trip. The trip planner in the car routes you though superchargers with an average charge time of 20 mins. Pretty much on all interstate highways connecting large populations you would find a supercharger within 50 miles. I have never felt, I had to out of the way to charge. Not any more than looking for a gas station while driving an ICE car.

With a lot more Tesla cars being sold, and more superchargers are coming up, things may not really get better or worse. Tesla has a lot of valuable data about where their cars are being driven and at what state of charge. Land value outside of cities is very less, and it is easy for them to plonk a supercharger at that location.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 05:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSourav View Post
I think it is already late for Tesla to sweep over the electric market.
They created the electric car market singlehandedly and sell the largest numbers of electric cars in the world with massive factories in USA, China and an upcoming one in Germany. How is that too late?

Quote:
There are already many EV options from the big players and most of the well rounded ones have almost the same desirability of a Tesla. Some of my friends at Sixt say that the demand for EV is still not strong enough in Deutschland to write home about.
Which other electric car can I buy for $50k odd which does 0-100 in 3.4 seconds and has an electric range of more than 300 miles. Once you can find me that car, I want to know how much of autopilot can it do and whether the infotainment system can even hold a candle to the one in Tesla or whether they get new features delivered to their car via off the air updates, even more power and range via updates!

Quote:
Also, there are already many EVs across the spectrum from the Skoda eCitigo, the Seat Mii electric, the Renault Zoe right upto the Audi eTron and the hybrid version of almost all the luxury models. I have driven the VW ID3 at Wolfsburg and found it really great. The guys at VW Wolfsburg also say that the ID3 is well received in the pre-orders. These cars are not only going to make EV's affordable, but will also somewhat take away the novelty and the cool factor of the EV tech in general. That will make Tesla a hard sell particularly when the biggies like BMW, VW group, or even the Koreans come out strong with their models.
So, I would be cautious in making any tall claims about Tesla disrupting the future.
While there are too many EV's there isnt a single one which is competitive with Telsa except may be the Porsche Taycan but then again not everyone has more than $150k to spend on an electric car.
extreme_torque is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 06:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
They created the electric car market singlehandedly and sell the largest numbers of electric cars in the world with massive factories in USA, China and an upcoming one in Germany. How is that too late?
The big guys realize they can only play when they can hit big numbers in terms of sales. Mercedes twists the arms of the press, to review and call it Tesla Killer. Then, they cant even reach 4 figures since launch. https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-kill...-sales-report/
So they move on, more models, more press. They simply do not have the desire to change direction of their giant ship. People rightly compare them to Nokia, Ericsson and Siemens.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 09:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Was going to limit my response to that but mods probably won't let me

Tesla is so, so far ahead that all the EVs you mentioned in terms of technology, that there's no comparison yet. Only thing is, they're expensive right now, yes. But CATL (Tesla's battery manufacturer in China) has already announced a sub-$100/kWh battery pack production intent, which is the mythical number believed to bring the cost of EVs at par with ICE vehicles. And its only downwards from here in terms of battery cost.

And my apologies for laughing out loud at your comment there, but with all due respect, Tesla HAS already disrupted the automotive industry. We're living in an interesting period where we're witnessing history being made, similar to Henry Ford's Model T back in the day. Tesla's supercharger network, solar energy business, and battery supply ambitions (once they wean off from Panasonic / CATL) will make them the single most impactful automaker of the 21st century, and I'm really fine putting this statement out there in the public domain.
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 09:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think it is already late for Tesla to sweep over the electric market. There are already many EV options from the big players and most of the well rounded ones have almost the same desirability of a Tesla. Some of my friends at Sixt say that the demand for EV is still not strong enough in Deutschland to write home about.
Tesla has already gained a massive first mover advantage and disrupted the market. Theres absolutely no two ways about this. Other so called autogiants have been caught with their pants down when it comes to electric cars back in 2010 and some like BMW are still struggling to catch up to the trend.

The fact is, that Tesla has already invested and done a lot of research for battery tech. They have first hand experience on how to deal with batteries which is also one of the reasons why they come up with cars that can actually go the distance on a single charge apart from developing a full fledged supercharger network. This framework is a recipe for market destruction in my opinion. All Tesla has to do is keep building on it. Other manufacturers have to start from scratch.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:58   #14

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...tesla-model-s/

Lets not forget that the Model S fell short of its claimed range by a huge margin while the Taycan surpassed it.
Even in the performance test runs the Taycan was consistent with its figures completing the 0-100 runs in 2.x seconds even after more than 10 launches while the the Tesla's time dropped to a disappointing 7 seconds by the 6th run.
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla Model S manages 647 km range-taycanvsteslagraphsaccelerationtest1581089637.png  

Attached Images

Trex5151 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 11:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:

I humbly disagree as Tesla sells due to its performance and brand value hence the most affected car by the model 3 was the BMW 3 series. Elon musk is a youth icon and Tesla behaves as a tech company more than an auto/EV company which has the agenda of making the future sustainable for the next generation (hot button issue now)

Also you and me being petrolheads know that a stick in hand is the best way to move around but for non-car person Tesla is cheap performance and a chance to be included in the Tesla family/fanbase while also being helpful to the environment which all together gives the average person a sense of community, awareness and morale (also again it's Elon musk, the person who named a flame thrower "not a flame thrower" to bypass a loopholes to raise money.. How cool is that!!)

Last edited by Nikhildrao : 18th June 2020 at 11:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks