Battery capacity
Kona EV - 39.2 kWh
MG ZS EV - 44.5kWh
Nexon EV - 30.2 kWh

Range
Kona EV - 452 KMs (ARAI)
MG ZS EV - 340 KMs (ARAI)
Nexon EV - 312 KMs (internal)

Based strictly on the above facts, Nexon EV seems to be VFM buy in EV market. All the three will serve different set of people as per their requirement. Good to see the wonderful products launching in the segment.

It is sad to see, the once considered pioneer in Indian EV market Mahindra Electric no where in the picture. Seems they missed the bus somewhere down the line. Hope they can join the party sooner than later.
Jerryaj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 18:37   #452
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
Karnataka is one. We have Zero road tax. Thus OTR in Karnataka for starting model will be about 14.5Lakhs or so (including insurance, and refundable TCS).

That's the price of Venue DCT Automatic! And cheaper than Top end Nexon Diesel Automatic.
In Karnataka 4% of the ex showroom price is the road tax for EV. So base version will be 15lac.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 18:38   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
In Karnataka 4% of the ex showroom price is the road tax for EV. So base version will be 15lac.
That was revoked long time ago. It's zero road tax now.
speedmiester is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 18:45   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from the price point, it's a fantastic matter that Tata is launching the exact same model that is available in Petrol, Diesel and now an EV version. This is big - people can do an apples to apples comparison and evaluate the pros and cons of the EV option vs a normal fuel based option.

I can seriously (and with a hopeful thought) look forward to popular cars being provided an EV option within a short time frame - say a i20 or a Swift in an EV avataar; or sedans like the Verna or Baleno in an EV version!

Now wouldn't that be a brilliant way to look forward to! To those who are on the border (of purchasing a new car in 2020), hold on to your horses! EVs are here to stay! Tata has shown the way forward - it's not long before others tag along to this thought process!
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 18:48   #455
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
ZS EV uses batteries from CATL which are inferior to LG Chem batteries used in Kona.
Who is Tata Nexon EV battery supplier?
Old 28th January 2020, 18:51   #456
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nexon vs MG ZS vs Hyundai Kona: EV specs comparo

Here is the specification comparison between the Tata Nexon EV vs MG ZS EV and Hyundai Kona Electric.

Name:  Nexon EV vs MG ZS EV vs Kona Electric.png
Views: 5050
Size:  23.6 KB

The Tata Nexon EV is powered by a 30.2 kWh battery. The electric motor produces 127 BHP and 245 Nm. The car has a claimed range of 312 km and the battery takes 60 minutes to charge from 0-80% with a fast charger.

The MG ZS EV comes with a 44.5 kWh battery and an electric motor producing 141 BHP and 353 Nm. The range is said to be 340 km and the battery takes 50 minutes to charge from 0-80% with a fast charger.

The Kona Electric has a 39.2 kWh battery powering an electric motor which produces 134 BHP and 395 Nm. The claimed range is 452 km and the 0-80% battery charging time with a fast charger is 57 minutes.

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-nexon-ev.jpg

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-zs-ev.jpg

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-kona-opening.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:19   #457
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV launched at 13.99L

Great pricing! Nexon's value is amplified when essentially all 3 (Kona & ZS for 6-8L more) are limited to city usage with the current charging infrastructure and their range. Minimal running costs, 5-star safety & 8-year warranty should seal the deal.
aa1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:26   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
the Nexon EV is claimed capable of 312 km range on a single charge... Tata Nexon EV is equipped with a 30.2 kWh Li-ion battery pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I hope they come up with a battery pack which can deliver real world mileage of 250km at a premium. That will be enough for 80% or more customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajaijayan View Post
Can`t wait to see the official Team BHP review and real world range. Even a real world range of 250Km with city and highway mix would make it a real value buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryaj View Post
Price
Kona EV - 23. 72 Lakhs
MG ZS EV - 20.88 Lakhs
Nexon EV - 13.99 Lakhs

Battery capacity
Kona EV - 39.2 kWh
MG ZS EV - 44.5kWh
Nexon EV - 30.2 kWh

Range
Kona EV - 452 KMs (ARAI)
In my experience with Kona, I got about 280km range with moderate driving style with mix of City and Highway, with AC on in 36~40deg ambient.

Doing the maths (assuming rest conditions similar, including battery chemistry and overall efficiency), Nexon EV should give around 190km in single charge. This gives daily usable range of 150~170km as I won't dare to drain the battery to last mile till I find a charging point. Even on Kona, I was very cautious while approaching 250km mark.

However, given the huge price difference between the two, Nexon EV is surely winner for me . I just hope it performs upto the expectations.
AutoNoob is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:31   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryaj View Post

Range
Kona EV - 452 KMs (ARAI)

The TBHP article states that 312 Kms range is ARAI certified. May I ask where does it say internal testing? I am interested in this car and I would like to know in case I missed something.

"The battery is said to have an ARAI-certified maximum range of over 312 km on a single charge"
psbali is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:31   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Chemicals. They have some tie up with LG Chem.

It needs to be mentioned that LG Chem and Panasonic Li ion cells are the best in the business. They are much more energy dense than the CATL cells used in almost all EVs that trace their roots to China, including the MG ZS EV. This is the reason why the Kona with a 40kwh battery has much more range than the ZS with its 45kwh battery.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th January 2020 at 19:35.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:34   #461
BHPian

Tata has nailed the pricing. Well done TATA. Seriously impressive stuff.
A wonderful car, with all the ticks in the correct boxes ( mostly) and a lovely price. I am sorry, but I see no point in going to MG now. Nexon is super VFM for what it offers. Plus I trust TATA more than MG any day. If TATA says that Nexon was tested on all hazard parameters, I would agree. Cannot say the same for MG.

It has to be Nexon > Hyundai Kona > MG.
Roadster17 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:48   #462
BANNED

Quote:
Themselves I think, Tata Chemicals & Tata Power and all other group companies were brought together for the synergies.

Tata Chemicals & ISRO sign MoU for lithium-ion battery tech, will help EV growth in India - link
Quote:
Tata Chemicals Limited (TCL), a subsidiary of Tata Group involved in producing chemical products, has signed a new Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). As per the MoU, TCL will be responsible for transferring of ISRO’s lithium-ion cell technology, developed by Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC).

Used to produce space-grade lithium-ion cells to power rockets and satellites, the technology will be transferred to Tata Chemicals in order to understand its viability for manufacturing lithium-ion cells in India.

The technology would be provided to TCL on a non-exclusive basis, meaning ISRO might forward the tech to other firms as well some time in the future. As for TCL, the firm will use it to manufacture lithium-ion cells of varying size, capacity, energy and power density to cater to the power storage requirements in the Indian market.

The move comes as an attempt to make a state-of-the-art technology more commercially available within the country. Lithium-ion batteries have found a more widespread use globally with the advent of electric vehicles. While they were mostly limited to powering consumer gadgets previously and hence were being produced in a limited size and capacity range, electric vehicles now require a major enhancement of these, both in terms of size as well as capacity.
Tata planning Rs 4000 Cr lithium-ion battery manufacturing plant in Gujarat - link
Quote:
According to Jaiprakash Shivhare, managing director, Dholera Industrial City Development Limited (DICDL), Tata Group, has committed an investment of Rs 4,000 crore to set up a lithium-ion battery plant in Dholera Special Investment Region (DSIR) in Gujarat.

The news comes at a time when the government is amidst a major push for electric mobility in the country and with budget sops is trying to localize the manufacturing of EV parts. According to Shivhare, the company has already acquired a land parcel of 126 acres in Dholera.

“Tata Group has already made an announcement to set up a Li-ion battery manufacturing unit. They have procured land of 126 acres and in the first phase, the company will make an investment of Rs 1,000 crore,” said Jaiprakash Shivhare, while interacting with media persons on the sidelines of Gujarat Aviation Conclave organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in Ahmedabad on Thursday.

Last edited by wheelguy : 28th January 2020 at 19:57.
wheelguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:10   #463
BHPian

This is an exciting day for the EV market in India, and for Tata to launch the Nexon EV at this price point hopefully will encourage the other players to enter this market at reasonable price points, which will in turn improve the charging infrastructure for everyone.

In my opinion the Kona was priced above the range for an average city car that I might consider but the Nexon hits the sweet spot.

My other worry would still exist though, until the energy generation is from renewable sources or non-fossil based fuels, we are only shifting left on the source of pollution in the bigger picture, especially in India.
Old 28th January 2020, 20:14   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Doing the maths (assuming rest conditions similar, including battery chemistry and overall efficiency), Nexon EV should give around 190km in single charge. This gives daily usable range of 150~170km as I won't dare to drain the battery to last mile till I find a charging point. Even on Kona, I was very cautious while approaching 250km mark.

However, given the huge price difference between the two, Nexon EV is surely winner for me . I just hope it performs upto the expectations.
Cardekho has a Nexon EV review where they drained the battery & were able to achieve ~200+ kms with mix of city & highway (in sport mode) with some pretty hard driving. Figures should be better in real life driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
The TBHP article states that 312 Kms range is ARAI certified. May I ask where does it say internal testing? I am interested in this car and I would like to know in case I missed something.

"The battery is said to have an ARAI-certified maximum range of over 312 km on a single charge"
312km indeed is ARAI certified range for Nexon EV. Example link.
asethi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:22   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Excellent pricing. The ZS EV will take a hit as far as numbers are concerned. But it'll still get attention due to the connected car tech, the panoramic sunroof and the additional space it offers. What Nexon's pricing has done is blow the Kona off completely and make it a 2 EV party. It really doesn't have anything to offer as compared to the the MG and Tata offerings.
Kona has something which both Tata and MG lacks. Trust. People will trust a Hyundai branded car a lot more than a newcomer or an Indian company who has been a serial offender when it comes to quality.

I have a feeling the fight is going to be between Nexon and Kona. Someone who wants premium image and does not want to take a risk will go for Kona. The ones looking for a value for a money offering will go for Nexon. ZS pricing is too close to Kona. Most people who can stretch till ZS will go for Kona because of the brand image and trust.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 28th January 2020 at 20:25.
padmrajravi is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed