Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2019, 16:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Import duty on EV components slashed by half to 10-15%

I have my doubts! Where does India have the power supply for a full EV?

The need of the moment is a Hybrid. Like Camry or Accord but they are priced sky high.

Wonder if the babu's have their brains placed within the calvaria or elsewhere or some ulterior motive at play here.
Old 1st February 2019, 23:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The need of the moment is a Hybrid. Like Camry or Accord but they are priced sky high.
Yes, agree with you 100%. I have given it a lot of thought and a pan-India charging network seems near impossible to pull off.

How will that play out? Each manufacturer maintaining their own seperate network seems redundant and wasteful. All manufactures could form a consortium and build a joint network - but a lot of problems arise.

If we mass adopt EVs - the sheer volume of cars needing to recharge will quickly overwhelm whatever charging stations are put up as each car will need to wait for at least 30 minutes. This may not be a problem in low population density nations of the west, but it's not viable here. Even in western nations it becomes a problem sometimes - I saw in a YouTube blog of a tesla owner in the US - when holidaying at a popular tourist destination, he had to wait in the hotel room for quite a while as the charging station was overwhelmed with other Teslas which descended on the city for the holidays.

Going hybrid makes a lot of sense as there is no need for a charging infrastructure (plug in hybrids are an exception - but even they can use on board internal combustion engine for range extension)

Who knows what the future holds - there is also the possibility that we may continue using internal combustion engines which run on renewable synthetic e-fuels (unrelated to fossil fuel) - Related link

Regards

Last edited by Games Goblin : 1st February 2019 at 23:49. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd February 2019, 09:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Correct me If I'm wrong please, but does this mean something like a fully built Tesla Roadster imported will attract just 25% import duty in total?
Afaik, 25% import duty holds good only for commercial Electric vehicles and not for passenger cars.

I was holidaying in Europe last month and most of the new cars/cabs were hybrids. I am not sure what exactly is stopping our government to push for proper hybrids in our nation - which has erratic power supply that may not suit EV usage in the first place especially in rural areas.
ece2k2 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 12:50   #19
BHPian

The narrative about 'the need for pan India charging network' is patently stupid. EVs are charged at home 95% of the time and doesn't need a charging network equivalent to the fossil fuel network that we currently have. What our government should do now is establish the charging network standard. CCS is turning out to be the winner and its just a matter of naming it as the standard we follow. We have the opportunity to chose the best standard as a result of lagging in EV segment for so long. Lets not screw this up again by going with some Bharat Standard.

Also, EVs will be charged at night when the demand for power is minimal. People asking where all the electricity will come from doesn't know anything about how grid works. Most EVs don't need more electricity than what an average 1.5 tonne AC consumes during a day to cover a typical 20 km commute.

Last edited by sreeharipv : 6th February 2019 at 12:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks