Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 16:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Electric cars could be inducted in govt-owned fleets

The road transport and highways ministry and the heavy industries ministry are planning to propose induction of electric vehicles (EVs) in car fleets owned by various government departments and agencies. This is an attempt to not only help reduce pollution levels, but also promote usage of electric cars among the citizens.

The transport ministry will soon officially draft a proposal and send it to the Finance ministry. The said proposal will suggest making procurement of electric cars mandatory for government departments. Through this proposal, the ministry is planning to replace around 20% of the car fleet owned by the government with electric cars. Ministry officials have also claimed that it will be easier to provide charging infrastructure in the ministry and department campuses. Similar steps will be taken in state government-owned fleets as well.

Additionally, the ministry has also indicated plans to promote use of electric cars in the fleets of existing taxi aggregators such as Uber and Ola.

These steps come on the backdrop of the Supreme Court asking the government to propose and implement solutions in order to control rising vehicular pollution levels.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 11th July 2016 at 16:43.
dZired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 17:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Electric cars could be inducted in govt-owned fleets

Pollution levels will improve provided your electricity provider is putting out less pollution per kilometer than your existing car.
For me, the biggest problem with an electric car is the infrastructure needed for charging. I want an electric car but my apartment does not have fixed parking and I don't have my own garage there where I can put in a plug. Therefore I would need to look at charging in my office and that is not practical at present.
Am wondering how practical it is to promote electric vehicles before you have an infrastructure in place to charge vehicles in a practical manner.
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 19:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the biggest problem with an electric car is the infrastructure needed for charging
I will say step in right direction , somebody has to take a lead.

Quoting from source

We could have around 20 per cent of the total car fleet owned by the government to be converted into electric cars. It's easier to provide the charging infrastructure in ministries and departments," the official said.

Quote:
Pollution levels will improve provided your electricity provider is putting out less pollution per kilometer than your existing car.
I won't have ready data but the efficiency of new super critical power plants should be far better and remember most of these plants are no longer in metros whereas cars are choking major cities.

Wish someone can convince finance ministry to take off custom duties on imports of such vehicles perhaps with some riders of setting up manufacturing plants within some timeframe.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 20:22   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
True however localized pollution levels will still change drastically. As in the air pollution will be mostly contained away from where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Am wondering how practical it is to promote electric vehicles before you have an infrastructure in place to charge vehicles in a practical manner.
I feel the same way too. Absolutely silly behavior on the part of manufacturers and the government. Look how Tesla has made their cars popular; not because of a fancy connected app or quirky looks but mainly because of the infrastructure making owning and driving these cars more practical and sensible. Right now only tree huggers and folks with low running who care two hoots about driving, will buy such cars in India
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 15:07   #5
BHPian

I think its right time. With all the diesel bans and Tesla coming around corner, its time government took some steps. The charging infrastructure will have to follow the EVs and they definitely will. One thing to be noted is for all the folks who can charge at home, if the daily drive is within the range, EVs are a great choice even without dedicated charging network especially given all the rental alternatives available right now. Even in case of Tesla, they didn't announce Super Charger network when they unveiled Tesla or even when the first ones rolled off the line in late 2012. They unveiled it later in 2013. Lots of folks are in total darkness, they don't know that EVs are perfect for them until they see someone they know using it. Considering all these, I think it'll make a lot of sense for the government to mandate the cab aggregators to have a certain percentage of their miles in electric mode. Leave it to them to figure it out and that would be a great starting point for EV revolution in India.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 15:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ages back, Chandigarh Police had inducted Reva's in their fleet.
The oversized cops were no match for the tiny car.
The whole fleet kind of vanished in 2-3 years due to maintenance and other issues.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed