Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 20:28   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... I bought this ...
I had bought the same (some other brand) in US about 15 years back. Another impulsive 'toys for boys' purchase.
Old 21st June 2016, 21:11   #1352
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the kitchen version from, at a guess, 1980-something. It removes jar and bottle tops with ease and has often been pressed into tool use, especially for stuff like under-basin plumbing.

Now it can retire to a kitchen-only life
Old 26th June 2016, 07:51   #1353
BHPian

Have recently bought a Groz ¼" socket set from bhpian AJ-got-BHP. Impressive quality product. Everything has dedicated place to be stored and the ratchet is very tactile. Have used it for small odd jobs and it has proved to be an efficient companion for the purpose. Looking forward to buying some more bigger sized sets. The itchy bug has already bit me.

Tools for a DIYer-img_20160625_141125703.jpg
The product box pack

Tools for a DIYer-img_20160625_141144795.jpg
The product as it looks.

It isn't too heavy either to carry around.

Regards,
Subhra
tacho9000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 10:22   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Looks like filing is the way to go. Its going to be tedious.

BTW, while googling, I came across step bit/pagoda bit. Anyone tried this? Seems a bit expensive though. Not sure if it is available in local stores. Need to check it out.

Attachment 1445124
An update. I had got this step drill bit and it just took less than a minute to increase the hole size. Set in low rpm and also the material also was not so tough, thus it helped the carving faster.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tools for a DIYer-img_4828.jpg
bejoy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 09:50   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Tools for a DIYer-images-3.jpg
T-tap quick splice wire connector

Is this available online on Indian sites. I can order it from ebay.com but it will take 30 days to arrive.

I need for installing parking sensors.

FYI: it is there on Amazon for 1000 rs odd, which is unrealistic. Ebay is $1 for 10 pc.
Old 30th June 2016, 10:16   #1356
Team-BHP Support

I do not recommend using the T-tap connector. While it sounds you are doing it better by opting for this instead of splicing the cable and soldering, while using the T-tap cable, you do end up shearing some strands inside the cable when the metal piece presses against the 2 cables.

Instead, using a sharp blade, remove the outer insulation of the wire carefully exposing the wires beneath, twist the new cable over the exposed wires, apply solder and insulate the joint. Definitely a better option than using the T-tap connector IMO.

EDIT: Ebay link.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th June 2016 at 21:02.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 07:42   #1357
Senior - BHPian

What is the decent grease gun suggested for lubricating prop shaft (esp Fortuner) and type of grease required ? Will the lithium based wheel bearing grease from Castrol suffice the needs ?
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:41   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
What is the decent grease gun suggested for lubricating prop shaft (esp Fortuner) and type of grease required ? Will the lithium based wheel bearing grease from Castrol suffice the needs ?
You need one which will pump grease at high pressure as the grease nipple has a spring loaded ball to prevent grease leakage as well as dirt ingress. A lever type hand gun is the best option. Here are some

http://www.skf.com/caribbean/product...uns/index.html
http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...se%2Caps%2C358
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 14:09   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You need one which will pump grease at high pressure as the grease nipple has a spring loaded ball to prevent grease leakage as well as dirt ingress. A lever type hand gun is the best option. Here are some

http://www.skf.com/caribbean/product...uns/index.html
http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...se%2Caps%2C358
Thanks Aroy, based on quick search ordered this http://www.amazon.in/Groz-Lever-Grea.../dp/B00VX7HT3U
Old 5th August 2016, 16:51   #1360
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this cordless gun from IKEA. Fantastic quality and very handy.

Tools for a DIYer-9f5f6c5474964fa58993fa86fe47f762.jpg

My main requirements was a driver with clutch and something that should be adequately powerful for screwing/unscrewing and not too heavy for continuous use and carry around. The options available in India were not suitable. To give an idea of my existing workforce, I already have a 550W and 500W drill from SKIL and Bosch for the heavy duty work. The cordless options in India were either too big, like the black and decker 12 or 18V options or too small, 4.8V battery operated guns which were not that powerful or long lasting. And the drill guns I have didnt have torque clutches and most of the times in spite of careful use I had stripped screw threads and spoilt a few jobs.

Not yet used it much apart from getting a feel of it.
Old 7th August 2016, 14:42   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Got this cordless gun from IKEA. Fantastic quality and very handy.
How much does this weigh and is it good for drilling? I too have a Bosch drill for the heavy and a B&D cordless screwdriver. A decently powered cordless drill would be a good addition
Old 9th August 2016, 09:45   #1362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
How much does this weigh and is it good for drilling? I too have a Bosch drill for the heavy and a B&D cordless screwdriver. A decently powered cordless drill would be a good addition
Its pretty light and they have given a pair of drill bit. But I think it would be good enough only to drill through wood or MDF and not metal or concrete.
Old 11th August 2016, 08:55   #1363
BHPian

Where is it possible to buy a 16mm spark plug spanner ? Is there a "chaalu" or common name for it? I find T spanners on Snapdeal and Amazon but the size is up to 15mm. No 16mm. Any links to desi sites would be great. The ancient one I had, is lost. I need a one with a somewhat longish handle, as the plugs sit a little too deep and on the firewall side, that too!
Old 11th August 2016, 11:05   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Where is it possible to buy a 16mm spark plug spanner ? Is there a "chaalu" or common name for it? I find T spanners on Snapdeal and Amazon but the size is up to 15mm. No 16mm. Any links to desi sites would be great. The ancient one I had, is lost. I need a one with a somewhat longish handle, as the plugs sit a little too deep and on the firewall side, that too!
Here are some links

http://www.moglix.com/groz-1-2-inch-...msn2w6icloycpp
http://www.stanleyindia.in/mech_spec...ug_socket.html
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 11:14   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Here are some links

Thanks Ray Saheb. The Moglix site is a new one for me!

On the other hand, I need the extender rod as well (Tommy?). I don't have a 1/2 drive set (or the extender).

However, I found this:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/16MM-Spanner-.../291565196235?

But not too sure of the reach would be enough. Need to remove the air box and verify how deep down, the plug sits. May be will buy one such.

Ideal would be the ones listed for almost 2500 on amazon India, the proper
spark plug tool. But that is TOO high a price. Silly price actually. I am too lethargic to visit Chawri or Kashmere gate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks