Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:26   #1261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
My car's airbox had a rather large crack and decided to give feviquik cold weld a try.
------SNIP------
Verdict : Total VFM for 25rs. The feviquik tube will not suffice for the entire powder bottle so buy and keep extra tubes. Barely used 20% of the powder for this.
My FNG also uses a jugad version of this. You basically fill sand or "mitti", dry, in the gap, and pour fevikwik on it. It hardens to a godawful mass. I have used that same thing in a few railings, plant pots, etc, and they've held up brilliantly. The cars that he used this on were typically taxis, or beaters.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:28   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My FNG also uses a jugad version of this. You basically fill sand or "mitti", dry, in the gap, and pour fevikwik on it. It hardens to a godawful mass. I have used that same thing in a few railings, plant pots, etc, and they've held up brilliantly. The cars that he used this on were typically taxis, or beaters.
The consistency of this powder is also.like very fine grain sand. However this flows easily even into the smallest cracks. Plus the filled area can be sanded or filed after 10 minutes to get an even look.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 13:20   #1263
Distinguished - BHPian

First, work out how to clamp it in place while the glue sets!

This is the most important, and often the most difficult, part of any glue job.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 22:54   #1264
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this enough area for a 10w led? The picture is from someone selling it online. I have similar sinks, but was thinking of using two instead of one. Can I use one? The led is the same as the one in the picture. It will be exposed to air, the sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-1253047_140706142010_slide1.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 8th March 2016, 01:05   #1265
BHPian

What are some good companies that manufacture Socket Sets, I have used Taparia during my engineering, but considering they are a little expensive compared to other products. What other companies are worth considering.
Old 8th March 2016, 06:56   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
What are some good companies that manufacture Socket Sets, I have used Taparia during my engineering, but considering they are a little expensive compared to other products. What other companies are worth considering.
Ambika is a excellet choice.

http://www.industrybuying.com/drive-...HA.DR.136154/?
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 10:48   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the good quality ones cost a lot. I have used Gedore and Taparia (was Bahco Taparia then) for over 40 years and they are still going strong. Look for sockets that are made of "Chrome Vanadium" steel and hard chrome plated. Most of the less expensive Chinese stuff are made of inferior steel and the sockets will get rounded edges with use and the plating will peel off.

My suggestion is to buy Taparia sockets only.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 20:11   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most of the good quality ones cost a lot. I have used Gedore and Taparia (was Bahco Taparia then) for over 40 years

My suggestion is to buy Taparia sockets only.

Thanks SunnyBoi, Aroy, for your suggestions I will compare the prices between both of them and decide.

Also what to consider when buying these?
What are the sizes I need to include for basic wrenching at home.
Buying them online vs a local shop? Your recommendations.
Old 8th March 2016, 20:19   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Is this enough area for a 10w led? The picture is from someone selling it online. I have similar sinks, but was thinking of using two instead of one. Can I use one? The led is the same as the one in the picture. It will be exposed to air, the sink.
From my experience - For short period runs, it will be enough. Hours of run will need a fan for forced cooling on this heat-sink for 10W LED with reliability and long life. It really gets hot !
Old 8th March 2016, 20:29   #1270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post

From my experience - For short period runs, it will be enough. Hours of run will need a fan for forced cooling on this heat-sink for 10W LED with reliability and long life. It really gets hot !
What if I use two sinks? Fan would be a little difficult to install.
Old 8th March 2016, 20:55   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks SunnyBoi, Aroy, for your suggestions I will compare the prices between both of them and decide.

What are the sizes I need to include for basic wrenching at home.
Buying them online vs a local shop? Your recommendations.
Get prices from the shops and then compare them to on-line prices. Be sure to include the delivery costs for on-line merchants.
Old 8th March 2016, 21:13   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Compare the price of sets with that of individual pieces. In my experience, the whole set costs lesser if bought individually rather than by sets. But the disadvantage is that you will not get a box to organize the whole thing.

The following 1/2 " square drive socket set (it is a mix of Taparia (blue sockets), Everest (non colored ones) and Jhalani (the red chick in the middle) was bought individually over a couple of years and they adds up to Rs.3600/-. A 1/2 " square drive set from Taparia costs somewhere around Rs.4500/- and will not have all the sockets / extension in the picture.

Tools for a DIYer-socket-set.jpg

regards Arun

Last edited by adrian : 8th March 2016 at 21:16.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 09:57   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
How will you join them ? If the heat produced is high or the ambient temperature is high, it may not be enough to dissipate the heat. You would need a larger heatsink or taller fins to radiate the heat produced.

Since there are no published results for the LED chip, you can try it out with a single heatsink with (with heatsink compound ) and test for a few hours. Measure the temperature rise and if necessary lower the driving current.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 10:07   #1274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
How will you join them ? If the heat produced is high or the ambient temperature is high, it may not be enough to dissipate the heat. You would need a larger heatsink or taller fins to radiate the heat produced.

Since there are no published results for the LED chip, you can try it out with a single heatsink with (with heatsink compound ) and test for a few hours. Measure the temperature rise and if necessary lower the driving current.
Heat produced is pretty high. However, I once ran one on a piece of aluminium sheet of about 8 square inches(a 2X4 inches). I let it run for about 30 minutes, and it didnt blow. and the sheet was not very hot. I could handle it while the LED was switched on.

As for joining them, I was thinking the led mount points will be two each on face of the heatsinks, and when the led is attached, it will hold them together. With heat transfer paste between the base and the face.

Just in case things go wonky, do you know what kind of fan I can use? Presumably it has to small enough. And the LEDs are going to be far apart enough that each will need its own fan, if at all.

I have 15-20 LEDs, and a similar, if not more, number of sinks. I think I can get by with burning/melting a few. Let me try and see.

Edit: Off note, but slightly related. I have an old friend, Mseal. Can someone tell me how heat resistant it is once completely dried?

Last edited by mayankk : 9th March 2016 at 10:15.
Old 9th March 2016, 10:16   #1275
BHPian

Quote:

Just in case things go wonky, do you know what kind of fan I can use? Presumably it has to small enough. And the LEDs are going to be far apart enough that each will need its own fan, if at all.

I have 15-20 LEDs, and a similar, if not more, number of sinks. I think I can get by with burning/melting a few. Let me try and see.
If you have a CPU heatsink with its own fan, you can try that. I could see a matching heatsink/fan from an AMD processor. You may get one from a junked MB. The CPU fan runs off a 12 V supply - if I remember correct. So supplying 12 V shouldn't be an issue as you will be driving these LED chips from a 12 V rail anyway.

Mseal - epoxies may not conduct heat. Get a proper heatsink compound from an electronics store nearby.

Last edited by Prowler : 9th March 2016 at 10:19. Reason: Added clarification
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks