Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2015, 14:32   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
... proposed height of 2.5' for the workbench, ...
That IS the standard general purpose workbench height. Works well both when sitting on a high stool, as well as standing.

You could think of suction cups bolted to the bottom of the legs of the workbench, instead of bolting it to the floor. These are shallow cup shaped black rubber feet which either come with their own bolt, or a hole to pass a bolt through. Good enough to prevent the workbench from wandering when hammering something on it. Check with industrial supply stores near you. Alternatives are square synthetic felt / rubber pads which are fixed to the feet with double-sided tape.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 21:00   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That IS the standard general purpose workbench height. Works well both when sitting on a high stool, as well as standing.

You could think of suction cups bolted to the bottom of the legs of the workbench, instead of bolting it to the floor.
Thanks for the clarification and I think I can proceed with the build. Once again I would like to thank everyone for their valuable advice.

Searching for suction cups I came across the following website and posting it here, this being a DIY thread.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Heav...e-Cheap/#step1

regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 18th May 2015 at 21:04.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 21:17   #1023
BHPian

Got my workbench this evening

Tools for a DIYer-workbench.jpg

Dimensions

Height - 2' 6 "
Length - 3'
Breadth - 2'

Materials used

Equal angles - 40 x 40 x 6 (Legs and upper frame)
Equal angles - 25 x 25 x 5 (Lower frame)
Top plate - 6 mm
Weight - 45 Kilograms

Total cost of build (including labor)
Rs.4500/-

Pending works to be done as DIY

Painting
Mounting the vise
Plywood installation in lower frame
Rubber suction cup installation

regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 28th May 2015 at 21:28. Reason: correcting the figures
adrian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 12:34   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Got my workbench this evening
Looks very nice. Hope you enjoy hours of DIY on it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st June 2015 at 13:08. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:46   #1025
Team-BHP Support

Got the cheapest Dremel available and got it for a kickass deal from Paytm with a 40% cashback offer. Been longing for a rotary tool for a while for those odd cutting and trimming jobs.

Tools for a DIYer-img_0031.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img_0040.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img_0042.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img_0048.jpg

Attachments included were limited to 2 cutting wheels, a grinding stone and a sanding stone. Have a few DIYs lined up with some cutting and grinding involved - this will come in handy.

Found this accessory guide. The attachments are color coded based on the type of usage.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 00:04   #1026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Got the cheapest Dremel available and got it for a kickass deal from Paytm with a 40% cashback offer. Been longing for a rotary tool for a while for those odd cutting and trimming jobs.
Was eyeing for one when I was trying to open the reflectors for the earlier DIY.

With this price/Offer, it seems I should also pick one. The use case of the Dremel is tremendous for a lot of DIYs, not just limited to cars
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:43   #1027
Senior - BHPian

I am also in the market for a Dremel but not sure which one to pick, a corded one or a cordless one?
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:51   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am also in the market for a Dremel but not sure which one to pick, a corded one or a cordless one?
DEFAULT reply will be that it depends on your usage but I have tried cordless tools (see my woodworking thread) and by learning from my sparse and sometimes heavy usage have come to prefer the corded ones. They make more sense than cordless to me.

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 3rd June 2015 at 15:04.
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:39   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Avoid buying cordless tools unless you really need them. Corded tools are more powerful plus there is no headache of batteries dying out and their replacements are surely expensive.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:49   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
A cordless tool is definitely more comfortable but for serious work a corded tool along with an extension cable, if need be, is what you should go for.

My 1985 Dremel-those days they were called mini die grinder is still working today but a cordless that I had bought much, much later on died due to battery failure and then motor trouble. Never bought a cordless again.

Last edited by techiecal : 3rd June 2015 at 17:54.
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:02   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Avoid buying cordless tools unless you really need them. Corded tools are more powerful plus there is no headache of batteries dying out and their replacements are surely expensive.

For dremel, probably yes. There is a cordless model from Bosch Professional series that is much more powerful than Dremel corded version.

The current 20v+ tools are as powerful as the corded ones. I have been using a Dewalt 20v max cordless circular Saw, and it is more powerful than my corded Bosch Saw. Easily lasts a days work with 1 battery (5Ah). Have a spare battery just in case, but never had to use it.

Amazed by the power of these, have ordered Milwaukee M18 Fuel Impact wrench and driver. Just search youtube videos for Milwaukee M18 Fuel and you would be surprised at the power these battery operated tools deliver.

Sourcing these tools in India is still a challenge though.
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:26   #1032
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote: corded.

The more powerful and the longer the life of the batter, the more weight it adds, so in that respect, the corded tool is the most comfortable. I also favour corded because my use is very infrequent: I'll always be finding the battery flat, and that is probably going to reduce its life.

I have a Dremel. Seldom used, but when it is needed it is indispensable. But when I had my jewellery-making-hobby workbench setup, years ago, I had a pro hang-up motor with flexible drive and foot control. I used to call it my dentist's tool! It was very, very good, but only suited to fixed-position work-bench use.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:22   #1033
BHPian

Dremel is for fine work. I use it mostly for working on interior trims, head lamp mods, etc. It could do a li'l more than that too actually, because the other day I used dremel to cut a square piece of metal from Yeti'z boot door to carry out a mod. To my surprise, it was much easier than I thought.

I chose corded over cordless as I have other cordless tools too. With the extension tool for dremel its very convenient to use without having to carry the weight of the tool which is an advantage for fine work.

Dremel is a must for any DIYer IMO. The right tools make a job much easier and also gives you the satisfaction of doing it the professional way.
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:37   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Little dremel trick I tried last year with amazing results.

I needed to shape some steel using a dremel and it required some heavy material removal. Using grinding tools was too slow.

I raided my Milling Department's supply cup board and found myself a Carbide ENDMILL which fit perfectly in the dremel. Decided to try it on the steel.

Result? Hot knife in butter.

The metal removal using a humble dremel was fantastic.

P.S. use protective gear, since the metal removed is in form of small sharp metal needles!
Old 3rd June 2015, 23:27   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all suggestions guys. So corded it is and most probably it will be the Dremel 3000. Will visit the Bosch DIY square this weekend before finalizing.

Most Viewed