Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2015, 16:59   #991
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tools for a DIYer

The HSS bit I had used was a 10 mm bit and the tip got severely hot. I stopped before the tip deformed. What cutting fluid could we possibly use? Water?
Old 27th April 2015, 17:55   #992
BHPian

For lubricant you can use at home- light machine oil mixed with some dishwasher liquid which becomes emulsion.
Basically speed should be slow and lubricant is required so that the heat is controlled. If not, then the steel will work harden and it will be all the more difficult.
You could use a file as suggested but it will take time. A Dremel will do the work faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys any idea if I can replace the chuck of my current hammer drill with one that comes with a torque limiter or slipping clutch? Is there a way to do it and where can I get a chuck like the ones that come on the cordless guns?

I currently own two hammer drills out of which I want to convert one to the above setup so that I can use it to loosen and tighten nuts, bolts and screws. I am doing it now too but I want the torque to be limited so that the thread isnt damaged due to excess torque. Though I am using it carefully now at a very slow speed, I dont want to create more harm than good.
You do get drill chuck attachments with clutch (DEWALTS) but difficult to source here. You might have to import it.

Sorry moderators I should have used quote +. I will remember in future.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th April 2015 at 14:19. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 27th April 2015, 18:45   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
This should help.
I had forgotten about cooling.

Of course, at a factory workbench there was a stream of cutting oil (probably the mix that guy was talking about) on the work, mostly for cooling. I came to love the smell of that stuff! But it's dangerous: carcinogenic in a way that is bad for guys who might want to have children!

I was doing that stuff back in about 1973, so I have forgotten a lot. In more recent years, as a hobby jeweller, I drilled silver, but that is softy softy stuff.

What I would never do, is to try to drill that piece of steel in the video without firmly clamping it. Nobody needs that thing whizzing around on their drill bit, not even for the amount of time it takes to remove finger from switch, and nobody needs it flying off.

Apart from that, the guy amply demonstrates that it is all perfectly possible.

<Crossposted with techical>

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th April 2015 at 18:51.
Old 27th April 2015, 19:36   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Araldite seemed to work until disaster stuck in the form of regular service. I got the car back minus the broken piece. The SA first said he will glue the center console shut permanently but after I stood my ground, he promised me a replacment or alternative. I don't have high hopes and think I'll have to fabricate the part myself. Here is the pic after the araldite fix.
Quick setting Araldite is not that good compared to the old one. Plastic can be glued using Chloroform as well ( Industrial Chloroform can be purchased from some kind of Hardware shops ) . Chloroform can loosen plastic to a sticky paste and this can harden back to plastic again after some time. You get a plastic to plastic joint in this case.

Last edited by Prass : 27th April 2015 at 19:54.
Prass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 23:00   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That looks like a glue job that really ought to have worked! There is plenty of surface area, and the surfaces were probably (should have been) slightly rough.

Is the broken piece permanently lost now, or can you have another go?
I was happy with the fix but nothing escapes the monkeys at the A.S.S. The piece is lost, only hope is finding a replacement from a donor car or fabricate something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
HI Jaguar, Sorry to hear about that. But I am clueless about which part of the car it is. Could you please post a picture of the entire part from a little distance?
That is the underside of the center arm rest lid. The latch mechanism is broken.
Old 28th April 2015, 15:58   #996
Senior - BHPian

As I posted a few days ago, I recently acquired a drill set (Bosch's GSB 13 RE) and have been drilling holes and hanging all sorts of stuff all around the house.

I love it and wanted a little guidance on where does a newbie DIY-er head to for small home improvement DIY ideas, especially I've become a fan of wooden and glass frameless shelfs after seeing how neat they look. Any pointers, forums?

Last edited by fine69 : 28th April 2015 at 16:00.
Old 28th April 2015, 16:15   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I love it and wanted a little guidance on where does a newbie DIY-er head to for small home improvement DIY ideas, especially I've become a fan of wooden and glass frameless shelfs after seeing how neat they look. Any pointers, forums?
Been there done that
I suggest you stay away from glass frameless shelfs. Their mounts are usually not strong enough to support the weight we tend to use on them. I purchased a good brand online for all my bathroom stands in glass and within 3 months only 2 stands are standing at a tilt out of 6 that I installed. I tend to do everything DIY except car service/repair and do frustrate myself very often in the process of learning... but the satisfaction is sweet
Old 29th April 2015, 13:50   #998
Senior - BHPian

So I had to move the clothes rack in my shop up front which blocked the bigger power socket (life line for all my charging needs). Since the desk where my wife sits is now about 2 or 2.5 meters away from the power socket I wanted to setup a couple of power sockets near to the desk.

A quick option was to get a belkin extension cord but the short length of extension cord wouldn't make it work. Since this is the DIY thread, I wanted to know how to setup a couple of power sockets near to the desk. I'm a total newbie so don't even know where to begin from, any help would be appreciated.
Old 29th April 2015, 14:31   #999
BHPian

Quote:

A quick option was to get a belkin extension cord but the short length of extension cord wouldn't make it work. Since this is the DIY thread, I wanted to know how to setup a couple of power sockets near to the desk. I'm a total newbie so don'tn even know where to begin from, any help would be appreciated.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150429_142923.png
Views: 799
Size:  466.4 KB

Get a switch box customised as per your needs and a wire as long as you need. The pic above shows my solution to a similar problem.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 15:22   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Get a switch box customised as per your needs and a wire as long as you need. The pic above shows my solution to a similar problem.
Thanks, this helps a lot!

I'm always wary of using an under-spec cable by chance because our local electricians are always adopting shortcuts and I wouldn't want to start a fire in the shop because of something like this.

So question, how do I decide what specifications an electric cable should have? And same question for switches.

EDIT: Isn't a surge protector better because the custom made switches don't really act as surge protectors?

Last edited by fine69 : 29th April 2015 at 15:26.
Old 29th April 2015, 16:43   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Isn't a surge protector better because the custom made switches don't really act as surge protectors?
I would recommend a surge protector. Get a Huntkey with individual switches. I have 2 of them in every room in my house and everything always goes through a huntkey. You can quasi permanent it using plastic ties etc so that it doesnt move.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 19:04   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, this helps a lot!

I'm always wary of using an under-spec cable by chance because our local electricians are always adopting shortcuts and I wouldn't want to start a fire in the shop because of something like this.

So question, how do I decide what specifications an electric cable should have? And same question for switches.

A surge protector from a reputed company will do the job if its light duty load, Laptop, charger, lamp etc.

You can add a fuse/surge protection circuitry if you want.

My switchboard is connected to a home UPS so no extra protection needed. 1.5 Sq. mm wire used for loads upto 1200 watts (standard limits of 5amp household switches).

A more knowledgeable member may share details about fuses/surge protection.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 23:47   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Came across this handy trick to install hooks
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 11:18   #1004
Team-BHP Support

Salvaged an empty plastic reel from one of the scrap bins at the workplace:

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150502_10_49_05_pro.jpg

This is the reel that comes with the consumable electrode fed into the GMAW machine’s wire feed unit. Hard ABS plastic. Will use this for the electric extension box.

Will buy a couple of ball bearings (not sure if I can find one which would be a tight fit into the ID of the reel’s central pipe), a suitable CPVC pipe and 5 nos. CPVC 90 deg. bends to make the stand for the reel. Something like this:

Tools for a DIYer-designersedgee230rw263214368177.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 20:03   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Salvaged an empty plastic reel from one of the scrap bins at the..
Good luck with your build. Getting the sockets to fit that area may be problematic. I picked up a 30M one from MX for my pressure washer to be used in the garage for lack of a 15a plug point there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks