Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2015, 20:10   #976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

Anybody? No DIY electricians on board?
As an alternative, who should I call if I want to have the wiring in an old house inspected? A contractor? An electrical engineer? There has to be someone who inspects and approves electrical installations in commercial buildings /real estate projects?
Old 24th April 2015, 20:12   #977
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
So I just received the Bosch GSB 13 RE impact drill. I plugged it in to see the variable speed thing works and to my surprise I saw sparking inside the drill and there was a burning smell also.

Everytime I run it there are sparks. I'm a first time drill user so is this normal or do I have a bad drill? Sparking happens only in the drill, it doesn't come out.
Little sparking at the point of contact of the brushes/commutator is fine, the intensity of which increases with speed but there should be no burning smell. It is possible that the brushes are worn down. Have it checked or replace the brushes yourself.
Old 25th April 2015, 08:52   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Minor sparks inside the drill should be fine. The spark happens at the contact points of carbon brushes. I see sparks in my new Cordless drill, but no sparks in my old Black n Decker impact drill.
Sparks are normal at the contact points. Happens in mixie also, but we don't see it as it is closed in a good looking enclosure. Don't worry. Just use the machine. Mild smell after a good run of the machine is also normal. Don't panic until you don't see heavy fumes like from a cigarette.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 18:16   #979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks for your responses. I will try Araldite and get back.
Araldite seemed to work until disaster stuck in the form of regular service. I got the car back minus the broken piece. The SA first said he will glue the center console shut permanently but after I stood my ground, he promised me a replacment or alternative. I don't have high hopes and think I'll have to fabricate the part myself. Here is the pic after the araldite fix.Tools for a DIYer-cararmrestfix.jpg

Quote:
As an alternative, who should I call if I want to have the wiring in an old house inspected? A contractor? An electrical engineer? There has to be someone who inspects and approves electrical installations in commercial buildings /real estate projects?
Your best bet would be some experienced electrician. There are licenced electricians authorized by the local electricity board.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 19:18   #980
Team-BHP Support

Replaced the chuck on my 11 year old drill:

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150419_11_13_38_pro.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150419_11_15_10_pro.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150426_13_22_14_pro.jpg

Took 10 minutes to replace the old chuck.

And fixed a pair of clothes hook for hanging utensils and large spoons:

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150426_14_18_22_pro.jpg

But few spoons had their holes small so wouldn't go. What type of bits should I use for drilling into SS material?
Old 26th April 2015, 19:31   #981
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys any idea if I can replace the chuck of my current hammer drill with one that comes with a torque limiter or slipping clutch? Is there a way to do it and where can I get a chuck like the ones that come on the cordless guns?

I currently own two hammer drills out of which I want to convert one to the above setup so that I can use it to loosen and tighten nuts, bolts and screws. I am doing it now too but I want the torque to be limited so that the thread isnt damaged due to excess torque. Though I am using it carefully now at a very slow speed, I dont want to create more harm than good.
Old 26th April 2015, 21:34   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
But few spoons had their holes small so wouldn't go. What type of bits should I use for drilling into SS material?
Since you have to only enlarge the holes you can do it with standard HS Drills at medium speed but be careful and hold the spoon in a vice with some packing as the drill bit might catch.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st December 2021 at 08:27. Reason: Quotes fixed
techiecal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 22:29   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Araldite seemed to work until disaster stuck in the form of regular service. I got the car back minus the broken piece. [/ATTACH]
That looks like a glue job that really ought to have worked! There is plenty of surface area, and the surfaces were probably (should have been) slightly rough.

Is the broken piece permanently lost now, or can you have another go?

Another possibility with plastic parts like this in incorporating reinforcement. You can drill small holes, either side of the join, the right distance apart for a staple, and glue staples in place

That is what I have done here. you can see the line under the glue. Yes, I know, no marks for neatness, or even tidying up here! But, although it would have been good if I have done it neatly, if there is room, a layer of glue around the join helps support it.

Tools for a DIYer-mend1.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-mend2.jpg

You can see a little of the staple sticking out to the left here. Would have been a good idea to do that both sides and fold it over.

The glue is J-B Weld, another two-part epoxy, more like a metal. Stronger than Araldyte.

Tools for a DIYer-mend3.jpg
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 22:42   #984
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Since you have to only enlarge the holes you can do it with standard HS Drills at medium speed but be careful and hold the spoon in a vice with some packing as the drill bit might catch.
Tried it with an HSS drill at different speed settings and nothing happened. HSS is a no go with SS.
Old 27th April 2015, 07:48   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Tried it with an HSS drill at different speed settings and nothing happened. HSS is a no go with SS.
Then you have to search for a Cobalt Drill bit. Did you use a very sharp HSS? Another easy way would be to enlarge the existing hole with a die grinder since perfect roundness is not required. Do you have a Dremel?
Old 27th April 2015, 09:27   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Araldite seemed to work until disaster stuck in the form of regular service. I got the car back minus the broken piece. The SA first said he will glue the center console shut permanently but after I stood my ground, he promised me a replacment or alternative. I don't have high hopes and think I'll have to fabricate the part myself. Here is the pic after the araldite fix.
HI Jaguar, Sorry to hear about that. But I am clueless about which part of the car it is. Could you please post a picture of the entire part from a little distance?
Old 27th April 2015, 12:32   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the Electricians who do house wiring have (or have access to some one who has) a license for both installation and then certifying the wiring. Contact them.

Alternatively you can contact and insurance house hold agent. They generally know a licensed inspector.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 16:24   #988
BHPian

Quote:

This should help.

Old 27th April 2015, 16:37   #989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Then you have to search for a Cobalt Drill bit. Did you use a very sharp HSS? Another easy way would be to enlarge the existing hole with a die grinder since perfect roundness is not required. Do you have a Dremel?
I used to be a professional driller. Well, to be more accurate, a semi-skilled factory worker and, yes, it was very boring

A good HSS drill should drill stainless, but the task is likely to be both difficult and somewhat dangerous. Not only is the material hard to begin with, but it gets harder as one drills into it. I actually left one job because I had to drill three holes each in 3,000 small Stainless-steel rods, and the prospect was too depressing.

Catching/snatching is very possible, especially trying to enlarge an existing hole. There is also the chance of breaking the drill bit. This is not to be done without eye protection, and preferably full-face protection.

Try... a small file!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 16:44   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I used to be a professional driller. Well, to be more accurate, a semi-skilled factory worker and, yes, it was very boring

Try... a small file!
I would like your input on the video I just posted above. Basically the premise is to either use lubricant to reduce friction or to periodically cool the drill bit using water. I'm about to attempt something similar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks