Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 13:55   #946
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
^^

I purchased this and found out that the quality was not upto the mark and returned it. Moreover it was only useful for low torque application. For the Price quoted, we can buy good quality Hexagonal ring spanners(or channel locks) and live peacefully.
Thank you Manoj2268. These were advertised on Television for Rs.2000/ per set and I was thinking on getting one for myself. For the time being the purchase is postponed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I suspect that there is nothing to beat the right spanner/wrench for the right nut, but also, in an emergency, or for a car/bike mobile toolkit, a one-size-fits-all multi-solution tool would be a godsend. No, I haven't tried that sort of wrench, but you've got me temped to add one to the collection!
Sir, I was also thinking on the same frequency when I saw the following video

After seeing the reply from Manoj2268, I am getting this guilty feeling for sowing the seeds of temptation in this forum Kindly purchase after detailed inquiry.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 13:57   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Anybody tried the snap and grip universal spanners ? The advertisements claim that one wrench can be used for different sized fasteners and also can be used on stripped hex nuts. Would be excellent to carry on a motorcycle.

Attachment 1360528
Avoid like plague!

Even i fell to their claims and wasted my 1500 bucks on it. Totally waste.

Does NOT work as advertised. Instead buy a complete set of Taparia ring spanners for much much cheaper
sagarpadaki is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 13:59   #948
BHPian

@sagarpadaki : Thank you friend, I saw your post after posting my previous reply. I think there should be some rules against misguiding advertisements. I have dropped my decision to purchase.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 14th April 2015 at 14:04.
Old 14th April 2015, 14:44   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I bought a box of Polycab 2.5sqmm 90meters for another project; cost me 1550+taxes.

Finolex 3 core 2.5sqmm cable sheathed was ~80rs per meter. Pretty expensive considering you can take my earlier approach and save ~800rs outright for the same cables.
Sqmm, doesnt give the whole picture, it will always be less, it depends on the number of strands and its thickness. Good quality ones will have enough strands, there are fakes for Finolex\Anchor too, so better check and buy from the authorised dealer.
Also in this application the quality of the insulation is very imp as it will be used in a rough environment, normal household wires are not meant for external use, 3 core industrial grade cables are supposed to be used for this purpose. So if it is household cables, I would suggest a good quality cable.

Quote:
Extra long Extension box for cheap!
Just now I saw you already made one using Finolex cable, include a proper fuse as its pretty lengthy.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 14th April 2015 at 15:13.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 15:42   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Sqmm, doesnt give the whole picture, it will always be less, it depends on the number of strands and its thickness. Good quality ones will have enough strands, there are fakes for Finolex\Anchor too, so better check and buy from the authorised dealer.

Just now I saw you already made one using Finolex cable, include a proper fuse as its pretty lengthy.
I have seen fake cables being sold as well; including Funolex I have couple of well known shops in Mysore that I buy the wires from and I've never got counterfeit stuff. Will add a fuse too.

Since yesterday got a barrage of stuff to be added in my DIY collection

Cable Ties including ones with tags to write stuff on. Very useful when handling wires and tagging them.

Tools for a DIYer-img_20150331_191755001.jpg

Gaffer tapes of different colours + Tesa wiring loom tape

Tools for a DIYer-img_20150412_163214.jpg

3 inch round LEDs, Ultrafire Cree LED 18650 torches plus 100pcs of velcro cable ties

Tools for a DIYer-img_20150412_163256.jpg

Heatshrink tubes of various sizes

Tools for a DIYer-img_20150414_144556001.jpg

SS Hose clamps to replace the stock ones on coolant hoses since they have started to leak. Coupla big ones for the air intake.

Tools for a DIYer-img_20150414_144913001.jpg

Barrage of tufkote products for rust control and prevention.

Tools for a DIYer-img_20150412_164816001.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 16:27   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

Good stuff, every serious DIYer needs to keep in stock!
Jeroen
Old 14th April 2015, 23:17   #952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Avoid like plague!

Even i fell to their claims and wasted my 1500 bucks on it. Totally waste.

Does NOT work as advertised. Instead buy a complete set of Taparia ring spanners for much much cheaper
That's disappointing. I was thinking of adding this to the tool box too.

I've seen this sort of thing before: might come in different brands; some might be better than others. I'm hoping!
Old 14th April 2015, 23:40   #953
BHPian

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a budget USB oscilloscope. I am looking to build some SMPS power supplies. I have seen some positive review on Hantek.

Thanks,
Venki
Old 15th April 2015, 10:54   #954
BHPian

Where can I find end connectors like these? And what crimping tool do I need to use these?

Name:  ForumRunner_20150415_105335.png
Views: 887
Size:  426.0 KB
Old 15th April 2015, 11:23   #955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Where can I find end connectors like these? And what crimping tool do I need to use these?

Attachment 1360904
Those are called fork crimp terminals. Check eBay although I’d recommend Aliexpress (e.g.) for bulk orders like 50 nos. or so if this isn’t an urgent requirement. Some Aliexpress vendors sell a bunch of different types of these crimps in a bundle for cheap.

Also check with the automotive shops - they may have ring terminals used for ground terminations.

Greased the threading of the bench vice, installed it on the computer desk and secured it using 2 M8 SS304 bolts. No other bench to mount the vice as of now.

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150414_19_45_23_pro.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150415_06_54_14_pro.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150415_06_54_29_pro.jpg

I need a solid workbench. Something like a 25thk MDF/seasoned wood and a framework with 4 solid legs made of 50/60 NB MS pipes. Will work on this later.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 11:25   #956
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1360904
Maybe this one has the clip you're looking for. Tool is included.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 12:44   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where can I find end connectors like these? And what crimping tool do I need to use these? ...
Crimp lugs, comes in different sizes and shapes. Most decent electrical component shops have these. Most of the inverter / UPS guys carry these, so you can locate one nearby and ask them. Needs a crimping tool (looks like special purpose pliers) to crimp the lug to the wire / cable, but at a pinch one can use good pliers for it (the inverter / UPS guys use a plier).
Old 16th April 2015, 12:37   #958
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what is the best glue available for plastic?

The latch for my car's armrest is broken and Hyundai will only repair the entire assembly for some 7k I tried using feviquick but it is not strong enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Since yesterday got a barrage of stuff to be added in my DIY collection
Tempting others will be considered a federal offence Now you need to post the source of these items.
Old 16th April 2015, 13:24   #959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

The latch for my car's armrest is broken and Hyundai will only repair the entire assembly for some 7k I tried using feviquick but it is not strong enough.
It really does depend on the type of plastic. Some seem to be almost unglueable!

I use something called UHU Allplast which I bought in Singapore some years back to mend the pulling handle on a wheely bag. It did a great job.
Old 16th April 2015, 14:25   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Try Epoxy resin glue with hardener (Dual component type). Hardener will be in separate tube which you have to mix as per the quantity you need. I don't know where you could find it in India. If you could find it, those will be the best.

Most Viewed