Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 10:37   #916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
444 mm when the ratchet rests on the last tooth.

Price is for a pair Tejas.
Thanks Gannu. Bought these and a pair of heavy duty rubber chocks. Both seem to be of a good quality.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 13:08   #917
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a bit worried about stands that include a ratchet mechanism. There should be no point of potential mechanical failure in such a safety device. A ratchet, for convenient height setting, would be ok if backed up by a hefty through bolt.

I'm a bit crazy about these things, but hey, we only get one body!
Old 6th April 2015, 13:47   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
a pair of heavy duty rubber chocks.
Would you mind posting pictures of the rubber chocks? How much did they cost?
Old 6th April 2015, 13:52   #919
Distinguished - BHPian

Thad, it's quite fool proof. Will post detailed pics including the rubber chocks for thenomad
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 14:55   #920
Senior - BHPian

Extra long Extension box for cheap!

Tools for a DIYer-img_20150405_103704.jpg

Stuff used :
  • Finolex 1.5sqmm 90meters - Rs950
  • Goldmedal 15A top and box - Rs250
  • Empty reel - Rs50

Cut 90 meter wires into 3 equal pieces to make 30 meters of extension rod. Used up a roll of tape to tape up the wires every 6 inches so that wires do not separate

Fixed the 15A box onto the reel using 2 woodworking self threading screws. Drilled 3 holes at the base of the reel to pass the three wires. Once the these were in and connected, used a cable tie to secure the wires.

Chopped off the protruding screws using hacksaws and voila! all done.

Tools for a DIYer-img_20150405_105844.jpg

A similar extension cord from MX costs twice as much and you have no guarantee what cables and connectors are used.
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 15:02   #921
BHPian

Anyone can point me towards a good removable bench vise? Looking for some thing that can be fixed on a wooden or stone platform and removed whenever needed for DIY.

Also, what mechanized implement is preferred for woodworking? I am tired of using handsaws now.
Old 6th April 2015, 15:06   #922
Distinguished - BHPian

More of my health and safety stuff!

Do not use an extension cable when it is wound, even partially, it is a fire risk.

This is for real: I have seen one catch light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Anyone can point me towards a good removable bench vise? Looking for some thing that can be fixed on a wooden or stone platform and removed whenever needed for DIY.
What size? Are you talking about the kind of thing that can hold a plank, or the kind of thing for holding small components? For the latter, I have a nice Stanley vice, with ball joint to adjust the angle.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th April 2015 at 15:09.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 15:59   #923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Lovely stuff.

I precisely had something like this in my mind instead of investing in the expensive MX reel. I badly need a good extension box. Enough of daisy chaining 4-5 cords I say!
Old 6th April 2015, 16:13   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Lovely stuff.

I precisely had something like this in my mind instead of investing in the expensive MX reel. I badly need a good extension box. Enough of daisy chaining 4-5 cords I say!
You can even try Finolex 1.5sqmm 3 core submersible cable @ Rs40 per meter. It actually is a better choice to what I've done, however the wires might become a bit bulky.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 17:11   #925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can even try Finolex 1.5sqmm 3 core submersible cable @ Rs40 per meter. It actually is a better choice to what I've done, however the wires might become a bit bulky.
Yeah I will be going for a 3 core cable instead of 3 single strands. Dont mind it being a bit bulky but 30 m will be good. And maybe 2 sockets. Lets see. Shall post the results here once done.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 18:12   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Shall post the results here once done.
The three core one will be a tad expensive but offers lot of advantages. I have a 10 m long single core cables with an thinner one for earth (earth voltage is comparatively lower) but over time what I have noticed is the cables twist up against each other as they are not concealed, even though you tape up the wires every half a meter. I have yet taken it to next level of adding a heat shrink or wear proof sheath to the cables.
Old 6th April 2015, 19:05   #927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Very nice. Just one small word of caution on using extension wires on reels. As longs as you unwind them from the reel when using them there is no problem.

But there might be cases where you don't need the full extension and most length will stay on the reel. You want to be a bit careful what appliances you power through it. Problem is that the wire on the reel will effectively become a coil and when drawing heavy amps, it will generate an awful lot of heat.

I once had an extension reel melt whilst using an electric grinder of it! As a rule, when using heavy loads, always unreel the total wire length to avoid this effect.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 19:33   #928
Team-BHP Support

I just got a bench vice some time back. Paid Rs. 1850 for this. The jaws (removable) measure 90 mm in length, vice weighs in at 8 kg and there are 2 holes to secure it on a table. There's a small anvil at the rear.

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150406_18_36_24_pro.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150406_18_37_08_pro.jpg

Need to grease the threading a bit since it is sluggish while rotating the lever.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 20:24   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
More of my health and safety stuff!

Do not use an extension cable when it is wound, even partially, it is a fire risk.

This is for real: I have seen one catch light!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Very nice. Just one small word of caution on using extension wires on reels. As longs as you unwind them from the reel when using them there is no problem.

But there might be cases where you don't need the full extension and most length will stay on the reel. You want to be a bit careful what appliances you power through it. Problem is that the wire on the reel will effectively become a coil and when drawing heavy amps, it will generate an awful lot of heat.

I once had an extension reel melt whilst using an electric grinder of it! As a rule, when using heavy loads, always unreel the total wire length to avoid this effect.
Points duly noted. I'd use it mainly for my power washer that consumes 1800W. Finally I can use the power washer to clean the whole house

I'm mulling about making another reel, this time using Finolex 2.5sqmm 3 core submersible power cables. They come with proper insulation together and costs ~60 or 65rs per meter with multiple sockets
Old 6th April 2015, 21:47   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the one I saw burn was powering a 1Kw room heater, so 1800W is definitely enough for trouble.

I don't understand why the earth should carry less current. It should carry no current, but, in the event of a short, might have to carry as much as the live.

In UK, 1.5mm^2 is used for lighting circuits: 2.5mm^2 would be used for kilowatt stuff.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks