Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 16:43   #811
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You can get them on SP road. A couple of hundred meters after entering SP road there are electric and electronic shops. Almost every one has them.

Ebay has lots of them

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=...=WD40&_sacat=0

Autotrends has them

http://www.autotrends.in/wd40-family...ping-free.html

Usual TBHP disclaimers apply
Surprising, nobody in SP road had it in stock when I checked couple of weeks back.
eBay, its daylight robbery, shipping costs 205/-

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 28th October 2014 at 16:45.
Old 28th October 2014, 17:42   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Surprising, nobody in SP road had it in stock when I checked couple of weeks back.
eBay, its daylight robbery, shipping costs 205/-
Hi CMS, If you are near Tippasandra, there is an automobile spare parts store on the right side, just after the BP petrol bunk (before Kanti's) and he stocks them. I picked up the small bottle 2 weeks back and it was priced at 100 INR.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 08:42   #813
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday’s loot:

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20141030_19_17_10_pro.jpg

For stripping the chrome off the headlight reflectors.

From this:

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20141030_19_17_46_pro.jpg

To this:

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20141031_07_00_08_pro.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20141031_07_00_49_pro.jpg

And made a jugaadu right angled Phillips screw driver by attaching the bit to the end of the shaft using some m-seal:

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20141030_21_13_50_pro.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20141030_21_13_16_pro.jpg

The screw driver had become defective after the shaft started rotating inside the grip. This one is not used for tightening the screw but to hold it in place (inaccessible otherwise) while tightening a nut from the other side. I hope the torque from the other side won’t rip off the Phillips bit from the sealed end!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 11:31   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I picked up at bench vise (weighing 15kgs) from Alang shipyard for Rs. 1250/-

Has a slight rust coat on it. Sand down and paint is enough? Was thinking spray paint, or should i use any other type of paint? Primer is a must?
Old 31st October 2014, 11:57   #815
BHPian

Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Sorry about OT, Gannu is that Polo's HL reflector? You were upgrading to Bi-xenons I know, but why were the older reflectors stripped out of its chrome, ie, if that's what is shown in the pics? Just curious.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 31st October 2014 at 12:00.
Old 31st October 2014, 12:21   #816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Sorry about OT, Gannu is that Polo's HL reflector? You were upgrading to Bi-xenons I know, but why were the older reflectors stripped out of its chrome, ie, if that's what is shown in the pics? Just curious.
Yes Ajay, those are Polo's stock reflector bowls. Now that the chrome does not serve any purpose, I intend to paint them with a shade of matte black. Was worried if the paint would adhere to the chromed parts properly so stripped the chrome off.

Some folks leave the bowls as it is and some paint them. I wanted to paint them since the chrome had chipped off at some locations and was looking ugly.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 13:50   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
... Has a slight rust coat on it. Sand down and paint is enough? Was thinking spray paint, or should i use any other type of paint? Primer is a must?
Paint it only if you want it to look good. Otherwise, coating it with engine oil should be good enough. Grease the rotating and sliding parts.

If you want to paint it, get it sandblasted if you have access to a pro paint shop. Primer would be good. Make sure you don't get paint on to the sliding or rotating surfaces.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 13:59   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yesterday’s loot:

Attachment 1304354

And do you think that's good to strip the chrome from my innova's mirror housing?

Tools for a DIYer-chrome-mirror.jpg

Are the stripped down plastics AFTER Mr. Muscle went to work on them?
How many hours of elbow grease are we talking about here?
Old 31st October 2014, 14:15   #819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
And do you think that's good to strip the chrome from my innova's mirror housing?
Yep. This solution should work well. I think this was a wee bit stronger!

Quote:
Are the stripped down plastics AFTER Mr. Muscle went to work on them?
Yep, just the bowl went into the solution. The solution is safe on plastics, do not worry. I had my fears as well but then the concentrate itself was being stored in a plastic bottle.

Quote:
How many hours of elbow grease are we talking about here?
None really. Just light scrubbing using a Scotch Brite pad, provided the contents remain in the solution for a good 3-4 hours.

What I used was a bucket filled with water sufficient to have one bowl immersed, 1 no. Mr. Muscle kitchen cleaner (the orange colored bottle) and 2 nos. Mr. Muscle toilet cleaner (black bottle) emptied into it.

Kept the bowl immersed for 3 hours, took it out, scuffed it and all the chrome was gone. You can see parts of chrome floating in the bucket when the bowl is immersed.

The other bowl was immersed after that and left it for the overnight. I woke up at 7 and scuffed the bowl for 5 minutes. Cleaned to a shine. This was easier than the first since it was immersed for almost 6 hours!

EDIT: Very important - The solution smells really awful; emanates a pungent odour! Try to work in a bathroom alone (while the exhaust fan is on or windows open) or in an open space and use a pair of gloves while scrubbing. The skin on my hands had a burning sensation when the solution fell on it. Nothing major though. After cleaning the hands, they were fine.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st October 2014 at 14:31.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 22:38   #820
Senior - BHPian

There are the primary tools I have, in addition to 5-6 spanners and a drill machine. I also have few plumbing tools and a soldering iron.
Tools for a DIYer-img_20141116_214205547_hdr.jpg

Now, I have lost the tester-cum-screwdriver in the yellow set on the right.
So, I do need some good long screwdrivers.
I also need a tool to be able to tighten nuts/ bolts in the car at difficult to reach places.

Can someone recommend some tools to complement the limited sets that I have?
Old 17th November 2014, 16:42   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
... I also need a tool to be able to tighten nuts/ bolts in the car at difficult to reach places. ...
You will need a good ratcheting socket set, especially one that has a 6" or longer extension rod. Something like this: Bosch, Stanley or this one.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 10:39   #822
BHPian

I lost my trusty toolkit that I bought in Fry's a long time ago. It contained within a fiber carrying case: A set of ratchet screw driver with all sorts of screw driver bits, Socket bits, Allen keys and a medium sized pliers. I kept a box cutter as well in that kit. I forgot about the kit in the car when I sent the car for service. And that was the end of it.

It is very painful to lose such precious tools. I am trying to get a replacement. It is not easy to find such a - all-in-one kit. My first attempt failed miserably. I bought this cheap Chinese screwdriver set. It looks so flimsy I don't even want to try anything with it.

I ordered a Bosch - Skil F002 tool kit from Flipkart about 10 days ago and they still haven't delivered it. Even that kit doesn't contain pliers or a set of Allen keys. Any idea about a comprehensive but handy toolkit from the Gurus ?
Any pointers will be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-wp_20141118_001.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20141118_002.jpg  

Last edited by Prowler : 18th November 2014 at 10:43. Reason: Added images
Old 18th November 2014, 12:57   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I lost my trusty toolkit that I bought in Fry's a long time ago. It contained within a fiber carrying case: A set of ratchet screw driver with all sorts of screw driver bits, Socket bits, Allen keys and a medium sized pliers. I kept a box cutter as well in that kit. I forgot about the kit in the car when I sent the car for service. And that was the end of it.

It is very painful to lose such precious tools. I am trying to get a replacement. It is not easy to find such a - all-in-one kit. My first attempt failed miserably. I bought this cheap Chinese screwdriver set. It looks so flimsy I don't even want to try anything with it.

I ordered a Bosch - Skil F002 tool kit from Flipkart about 10 days ago and they still haven't delivered it. Even that kit doesn't contain pliers or a set of Allen keys. Any idea about a comprehensive but handy toolkit from the Gurus ?
Any pointers will be much appreciated.
i have the same kit, and i feel it is ok to use it for small jobs like adjusting the headlights etc. I agree that the quality is not top-notch like Bosch or Skil, but what else you can expect for just Rs.265/-. Even i got a small note inside the tool box saying that the dealer is extremely sorry as few of the parts are rusted and they even tried to remove the rust, and have done as much as they could.
allien936 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 13:08   #824
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from good screwdiver/socket sets, I'd recommend buying tools individually. My feeling is that "tool kits" are mostly aimed at occasional users who don't require much quality anyway.

Buy your tools separately, and buy a tool box to keep them in.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 14:09   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Apart from good screwdiver/socket sets, I'd recommend buying tools individually. My feeling is that "tool kits" are mostly aimed at occasional users who don't require much quality anyway.

Buy your tools separately, and buy a tool box to keep them in.
I have quite a bit of collection of tools and test equipment (including a dual beam Oscilloscope) over the last 25 years. (surely not in the same league of Jeroen or you)

But we always end up having a favorite toolkit we tend to carry in our trips or for the odd jobs. That is what I am looking for. I have a Leatherman Wingman which can't do what I can do with my lost toolkit. It has to be compact, versatile and built to last.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks