Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

A jigsaw tends to wander a little despite using a guide. A circular saw is better for that purpose.
Old 9th March 2009, 21:52   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
I am currently using an old military explosives box that I picked from the Chor Bazaar.
S@~+#0$# , could you put a picture of the military explosives box ? I am looking for one toolbox to hold my collection of tools too.
Old 10th March 2009, 21:00   #63
BANNED

Does anybody here own a compressed air gun - for tigntning bolts

I felt the need for this a couple of months back when i needed to tighten a bolt only upto the specified torque.
Old 10th March 2009, 21:07   #64
Senior - BHPian

Torque wrenches are available. You set the specified torque on the wrench, and go on tightening by hand. Once the torque is reached, the wrench "snaps", and does not turn any more.
Old 11th March 2009, 13:23   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Yes DerAlte something like inverter that can power soldering iron etc. Any idea where i can get it and cost involved ?
Any 12V single battery 100-250W inverter will do. Soldering irons are generally low power (50-250W, depending on size; 250W is used for brazing).
Old 11th March 2009, 14:35   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
A jigsaw tends to wander a little despite using a guide. A circular saw is better for that purpose.
just a thought. is there any attachment available for a drill machine which is equipped a circular saw? the kind of attachments a dremel has. or can it be fabricated by some way?
Old 11th March 2009, 14:36   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Torque wrenches are available. You set the specified torque on the wrench, and go on tightening by hand. Once the torque is reached, the wrench "snaps", and does not turn any more.
Please provide more info.
Price and brands.

Also how to identify the torque value to use.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:50   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Please provide more info.
Price and brands.

Also how to identify the torque value to use.
The manual normally lists recomended torques for critical bolts.
like engine, etc.

Backseatdriver : any recomendations on a brand for DIY use. ( not looking for a very expensive professional one )
Old 12th March 2009, 19:31   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
just a thought. is there any attachment available for a drill machine which is equipped a circular saw? the kind of attachments a dremel has. or can it be fabricated by some way?
There used to be a couple, but that was 20 years back. Most were smaller, non-standard blade sizes and had torque and other limitations. If you are lucky, trawling tool shops might throw up one. Fabricate one? Forget it. If at all you can find an old belt-driven bench saw, you can think of replacing the motor with the drill, and use either smaller blade sizes, or a tile-cutting diamond blade.
Old 29th April 2009, 18:29   #70
BHPian

My Tools..

So I am the last one to get to this post, as of now, and that too by quite some margin!
The list of tools that I have with me is:
1. Bosch Hand Drill 13 mm chuck (Don't remember the wattage though!)
2. Spanners 6- 22 (Some of these are paired like 2X 10-12).
3. Self-made angle grinder using the hand drill(Maybe I will post it in a new thread)
4. Hammer which I got from Netherlands (don't ask me why).
5. 25W soldering iron.
6. Set of Sand papers ranging from grade 60 to 1500.
7. Set of 4 Taparia Screw drivers- Flat and Philips in 2 sizes.
8. Hacksaw - One tiny and one big.
9. Lots of nuts, bolts, nails and screws in different sizes with metal washers.

This is all that I remember now. I would like to buy the dremel tool also.

The last DIY that I did last weekend was to remove all speakers from my car's boot and then tighten them back after attaching rubber washers to the bolts as I felt they were making some noise.
The next one planned is to set up wireless surround sound system in my living room using the existing wired speakers that I have. Any suggestions for this would be appreciated.

I will also like to find some nice box to hold my tool kit. Pointers needed.
Old 2nd May 2009, 11:49   #71
Senior - BHPian

@bblost and @sfilnfo, I have only seen them in use at workshops; not used them. ;-)

@mrinalsinha - for tool box - if you have somebody outside India, ask them to look for something. DIY is still in its infancy in India, and good tool boxes are hard to comeby. Mom goe me one from Ikea while returning froma visit to sister in Dubai.

I used to use mom's discarded hand bags for my set of spanners and hammers and pliers and whatnots. Now for the tools which do not fit into Ikea's box, I use my wife's (discarded) hand bags. lol
Old 2nd May 2009, 12:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
1. Bosch Hand Drill 13 mm chuck (Don't remember the wattage though!)
I will also like to find some nice box to hold my tool kit. Pointers needed.
That must be a 400W (0.5HP colloquially) one. Do post a pic of your home-built angle grinder here.

You need to trawl the industrial tools market in Hyd - I'm sure you will find a suitable metal or FRP tool box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
... for tool box - if you have somebody outside India, ask them to look for something. DIY is still in its infancy in India, and good tool boxes are hard to come by ...
Enh? Good DIY has been around in India since ages, and is not limited by availability of sophisticated "good looking" tools. Nor do those improve one's skills. You must be referring to "convenient packaging" and "convenient availability". Any town which has industries also has an industrial tools market - even if a few shops together - where good tools are sold.
Old 2nd May 2009, 12:43   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Enh? Good DIY has been around in India since ages, and is not limited by availability of sophisticated "good looking" tools. Nor do those improve one's skills. You must be referring to "convenient packaging" and "convenient availability". Any town which has industries also has an industrial tools market - even if a few shops together - where good tools are sold.
The trouble is, each locality has its own "slang" for each product. You know that thing with mica in tar? It is called "tar felt" by the industry. Somebody was saying "out stock", till I asked "tar ribbon".

Most tool stores here would not have the patience to show you multiple brands; you go in there, ask for an "X mm wrench". and you will get some thing from "jhalani". Jhalani is the best in the class here (for the normal professional here, but my point is, if you ask for some other brand, the shop owner will act busy. You need to know the exact "slang" terminology to use for them to show the patience to show their wares.

Another point - looooong time back - circa 1978, we got a set of spanners, in a nice and convenient "clamp". While I never really had the need for a full set, whenever I needed to buy more than 2 spanners together, I would ask for a "set" of spanners. And I would get a blank stare. GOing by what I read here, Cochin is very different from other metros in this aspect.
Old 2nd May 2009, 14:31   #74
Senior - BHPian

You need to have a thicker skin and be more persistent with them. What you said is true for any town in India. More the business you do with them, more pally they are; go in with a long BoM, and they will even polish the stool with their sleeves and serve you tea.

Sure, dedicated DIY sections / shops - where we can pick and choose, touch and feel - would be really convenient like we get abroad (Supermarkets, IKEA, and the like). In India, I have so far only seen Home Town and Spar in Bangalore have sections like that - and even that is woefully inadequate, both in terms of range as well as salespersons' knowledge.
Old 4th May 2009, 19:07   #75
BHPian

The home made Angle Grinder.

Quote:
That must be a 400W (0.5HP colloquially) one. Do post a pic of your home-built angle grinder here.
The angle grinder uses a mandrel made from a nut which can fit in the chuck of the Drill. I have bolted the grinding wheel tighlty on this nut and I use the arrangement as an Angle grinder. Will post some pictures tomorrow (Will have to recharge my Cam ). The problem is that this arrangement cuts perpendicular to the drill. But still this is enough for my needs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks