Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 14:54   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Sugru

Sugru.com

It is expensive, but I have been wanting to use this stuff for ages.

When I decided to replace the broken cutters on my shaver rather than buying a new one, I thought I'd patch up the worn-away rubber grip too.

Originally, it looked like this:

Tools for a DIYer-shaverorig.jpg

Most of that grey rubber area had worn away, the switch was exposed, and I could not wash it under the tape for fear of water getting inside.

It now looks like this:

Tools for a DIYer-shaversugru.jpg

It is a bit lumpy; I have underestimated the toughness of the material and now the switch button is quite hard to push, but not too hard. It would be perfectly possible to regard this as a practice run, cut it away and do it again --- but it will certainly do, even if not perfect. I cut and scraped away all of the remaining grey rubber, and lightly sanded the underlying plastic for good grip.

I'm sure there are applications for the car. I'm thinking about door protectors, but I know that I couldn't achieve a good enough finish.

The shelf life is only six months. Keep in the fridge and this gets extended to eighteen. I'm trying hard to think of how to use it up, but I'm sure a handier handyman could easily find ways.
Old 11th July 2013, 18:24   #572
Senior - BHPian

Bosch is offering a discount on the Laser measuring instruments. Anyone interested can avail this offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-picture__device_independent_bitmap__1.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 15:07   #573
BHPian

How a ratchet is made :- an interesting video worth watching.

Old 14th July 2013, 18:37   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

And anyone following that link to YouTube is bound, as I did, to watch several of the Snap-On tool making videos. Very interesting.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 19:00   #575
BHPian

Also, there is this company called infistock.com. They are providing cash on delivery on all of their tools, I discovered today. Lots of products to choose from.

Anyone heard of this company called WULF? Was thinking of ordering some stuff from their brand. Should I go ahead?

Edit

This one caught my attention. What does this tool do?

http://www.wulftools.com/product_det..._id=6&id=10919

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 14th July 2013 at 19:18.
Old 15th July 2013, 10:48   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
1. Also, there is this company called infistock.com. They are providing cash on delivery on all of their tools, I discovered today. Lots of products to choose from.

2. Anyone heard of this company called WULF? Was thinking of ordering some stuff from their brand. Should I go ahead?

Edit

3. This one caught my attention. What does this tool do?

1. You will get a better deal at retail shop. Here in Delhi the prices are quite competetive in the whole sale market area - Chawri Bazar, at least 20% discount; over list price; if not 30% is the norm.

2. Not heard. I prefer Indian stuff - Taparia is very good

3. This seems to be a chain pipe wrench, used for large diameter pipes. This looks to be light duty, hence could be used for oil/air filters of large trucks/earth moving machinery.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 09:37   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This one caught my attention. What does this tool do?

This is used to remove the filters form the housing during the replacement. You also get a belt instead of chain, which is used to reduce the damage due to the chain.
Old 16th July 2013, 13:45   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Also generally useful for unscrewing large things!

The ones that are meant for oil filters may not be very tough, as they do not have a heavy job to do. There are hefty versions for stuff like large-diameter piping.

edit: Here is the kitchen version of the same principle. It has been opening tough jars and bottle for me for a couple of decades and occasionally gets pressed into DIY use.

Tools for a DIYer-jaropener.jpg

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th July 2013 at 13:55.
Old 16th July 2013, 16:37   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sugru Sugru.com...
Got some last week and repaired the lead of the power supply brick of my laptop. Somehow the insulation had given way and the innards were showing through. Wonderful stuff.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 23:03   #580
BHPian

So finally thanks to @Aroy and others, I got my first proper socket set today. From Stanley.

3/8 drive since I wanted specifically for my bike, and also a smaller 1/4" drive ratchet and 1/4" drive 6mm socket for the smaller bolts on the bike and other furnitures and all.

Was so super excited, that I tried it out on my bike at night. Was getting stuck at places till I learnt the use of various attachments, especially the Universal joint adapter. Then work was super easy on non visible nuts.

Also e 1/4" ratchet works with my pre existing cheap sockets, from a kit i had long back. Very handy on my furnitures.

Got it all from M.N Hussain hardware store on commercial street. An amicable owner. Took his time to explain the various kits and also had a nice chat about the hardware he stocks. Im gonna keep buying stuff from them again and again or just keep visiting now and then to look at their entire collection. Its power tools heaven.

Only issue - Id prefer taparia, as its India made. The stanley is China made - but came with lifetime warranty, so I guess that should take care of niggles.

Also, i think the Spark Plug sockets maybe redundant as they are Imperial?? And not metric sizes. The spark plug socket in the bikes kit was pretty small.

But the taparia kits dont come with the screwdriver bits- only sockets and ratchets. Guess thats the price you pay for quality.

And as Aroy pointed out, the kits were definitely cheaper to buy at the store than online.

Some pics
Attached Images

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 16th July 2013 at 23:12.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 11:24   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I got my first proper socket set today. From Stanley. ...
How much did you get the set for?
Old 17th July 2013, 11:43   #582
Senior - BHPian

Bosch has a program for its employees offering discount on the DIY stuff. Bangy Bhpians can make use of the offer.
Offer available at DIY square, Bannerghatta road. This is dead opposite to the Bosch gate nr. 2. Can also be taken out from Kayvee associates shop in Jayanagar 9th block.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-untitled1.png  

Tools for a DIYer-untitled2.png  

Tools for a DIYer-untitled3_min.jpg  

Old 17th July 2013, 17:03   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
How much did you get the set for?
Total cost was 2950 for me for the set and extra sockets and ratchets.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 22:27   #584
BHPian

Quote:
So finally thanks to @Aroy and others, I got my first proper socket set today. From Stanley.
Congratulations. May the Force be with your sockets (as with mine!)!

So, in the interim, I got a Stanley soldering iron and wire crimper/stripper from the same shop. The soldering iron works super - I feel like Superman infront of my kids having fixed a few of the perenially failing mosquito bats/zappers. The wire stripper? Not so much. Hmm maybe, I'm not quite using it right...
IcarusMan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 22:41   #585
Senior - BHPian

This is old tool set pic ,I got like 4-5 years back .

Tools for a DIYer-p1090086.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks