Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2013, 11:22   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Bosch has organised a Free hobby session in Bangalore DIY square on 13/4/2013 from 1000 to 1600hrs at DIY square, Kayvee associates, #33, In front of Bosch gate nr. 2, Bannerghatta road, Bangalore 560030. For further info, please contact the Kayvee person on 080-2210 9036.
You can have a hands on experience on the DIY tools like Dremel, etc at the store.
Old 13th April 2013, 20:10   #542
Senior - BHPian

Following is the advertisement of the above post.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-picture__device_independent_bitmap__1.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 18:53   #543
BHPian

Sharing bits of some of my power tools.
Bosch is my brand of choice, however, for the titanium drill bits, I went with the best possible within reasonable price range.
The odd looking bits in red are "screw extractors", which come in handy very often.

All bits are "hex shank" i.e fully compatible with any power tool. These I could not find @ Crawford market in Mumbai, hence Amazon.

Buy online @ amazon.co.uk, they ship to India.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-img2013041600030_resize.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img2013041600031_resize.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img2013041600032_resize.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img2013041600033_resize.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img2013041600034_resize.jpg  

latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 19:11   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Then it must be time to pick up the eye protection goggles, making sure that they are proper pro ones that can withstand impact.

Never, ever even plug the thing in without wearing them first. Not even for a five-second job. This is dangerous tool.

Happy and safe grinding
Thanks , the angle grinder has the shield which deflects the removed fragments .

Although thanks for pointing out , will pick up a pair anyway .
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 01:55   #545
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometimes, bits and sparks can fly, or bounce, where they are not expected, and it can only take just a moment of not caring because its a quick job anyway.

I guess I got some of my safety lessons from near misses where I was lucky.

Used to have a bench grinder, but I don't know enough about angle grinding to know what else you might need. What if a grinding disk disintegrates in use?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 07:58   #546
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What if a grinding disk disintegrates in use?
Yes it has happened with me, could have cost me a thumb .

The guard should not be removed, in any case .

Safety first & cheers

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 22:34   #547
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My recent addition to the DIY tool kit, is the Leatherman Wave tool. I have left my old Leatherman tool in India when I moved to US and have been missing it since.
So, went for the purchase of a new one on Amazon, along with the tool bit extension and some bits, as well. I still like the full old leather sheath than the new one with Leather and elastic on the sides.

Some pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-leatherman-wave-tool-1.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-leatherman-wave-tool-open-kit.jpg  

Old 8th May 2013, 11:38   #548
BHPian

Dremel tools, now in India, Delhi...

http://www.dremel-india.in/Where_To_Buy.html

And limited products on:

http://www.flipkart.com/search/a/all...b_buk=disabled

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 8th May 2013 at 11:50.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:54   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

I got my Dremel from a Bosch dealer, here in Chennai, quite a few years ago.

Nice to see the availability on Flipkart, but funny that it is under pens and stationery!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th May 2013 at 12:56.
Old 14th May 2013, 13:43   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Sharing bits of some of my power tools.
Bosch is my brand of choice, however, for the titanium drill bits, I went with the best possible within reasonable price range.
The odd looking bits in red are "screw extractors", which come in handy very often.

All bits are "hex shank" i.e fully compatible with any power tool. These I could not find @ Crawford market in Mumbai, hence Amazon.

Buy online @ amazon.co.uk, they ship to India.
Nice collection. BTW what was the cost of the 18 Piece Hand Socket Set. Planning to get one for a long time though. Thanks!
Old 15th May 2013, 10:50   #551
Senior - BHPian

I never liked DREMEL tools till they came out with TRIO. The parts are reasonably expensive and getting router heads was an exercise in itself in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Nice collection. BTW what was the cost of the 18 Piece Hand Socket Set. Planning to get one for a long time though. Thanks!
Check out http://www.machpowertools.com/ for your tools requirement.

Raab rakha.
Old 25th May 2013, 00:34   #552
BHPian

Friends Im in need of a few O rings for some attachments of my pressure washer equipment. Also I need some plumbers tape or PTFE tape.

Can anyone guide me as to where I can find these in Bangalore?

Also, can someone explain what does 3/8 or 1/4 th drive mean in terms of socket/ratchet? I need a 22mm socket for one component of that attachment. Now I checked on ebay taparia tools has 2 types of socket with the above mentioned drives. Which one would suit my requirements? The wikipedia explanation of the drive isnt clear enough.

Can taparia tools be bought from any store in Bangalore? If so, please tell me where.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th May 2013, 09:00   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Friends Im in need of a few O rings for some attachments of my pressure washer equipment. Also I need some plumbers tape or PTFE tape.

Can anyone guide me as to where I can find these in Bangalore?

Also, can someone explain what does 3/8 or 1/4 th drive mean in terms of socket/ratchet? I need a 22mm socket for one component of that attachment. Now I checked on ebay taparia tools has 2 types of socket with the above mentioned drives. Which one would suit my requirements? The wikipedia explanation of the drive isnt clear enough.

Can taparia tools be bought from any store in Bangalore? If so, please tell me where.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Parthasarahi,
O-rings can be found in shops near Industrial estate areas which sell parts like belts, seals, gaskets etc. You can locate such shops with blue pneumatic hoses and belts of various sizes hanging for display. Sizes of O-rings are just the ID of the O-ring and the Diameter of the annular part. Better take a sample of the O-ring or the part where it would fit in.
Teflon tapes can be found in any hardware shop for about Rs 10/- a roll.
I think, 3/8 & 1/4 would refer to the size of th squared portion of the ratchet that gets into the socket. If you have a scale please try measuring the square. Measure the side & the diagonal. One of them would surely measure 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch.
I am not sure about the 2 types of sockets on the 22 size. Typically they have sockets of same size in 2 different lengths, is this what you are mentioning here?
Tool stores near Industrial estate areas are cheaper and offer discounts on the MRP. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ilangop : 25th May 2013 at 09:01.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 11:13   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Parthasarahi,
O-rings can be found in shops near Industrial estate areas which sell parts like belts, seals, gaskets etc. You can locate such shops with blue pneumatic hoses and belts of various sizes hanging for display. Sizes of O-rings are just the ID of the O-ring and the Diameter of the annular part. Better take a sample of the O-ring or the part where it would fit in.
Teflon tapes can be found in any hardware shop for about Rs 10/- a roll.
I think, 3/8 & 1/4 would refer to the size of th squared portion of the ratchet that gets into the socket. If you have a scale please try measuring the square. Measure the side & the diagonal. One of them would surely measure 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch.
I am not sure about the 2 types of sockets on the 22 size. Typically they have sockets of same size in 2 different lengths, is this what you are mentioning here?
Tool stores near Industrial estate areas are cheaper and offer discounts on the MRP. Hope this helps.
Thanks for replying.

I dont have a vernier callipers with me currently, but I kinda measured the external diameter of the tube on which the O ring is to be connected - it was approximately 10mm. The O ring that was supposed to be mounted on that tube is actually torn and hence couldn't measure the diameter from that. Also how much does a rubber O ring cost usually? Industrial areas are kinda very far from my place. I only know one in Bangalore - Peenya Industrial Area and its almost out of town. Can you give alternative options as to where else can I find this O ring? Can anyone in BLR tell me where to source an O ring?

About the sockets, I dont have any with me and never used one also. I was planning to acquire 22mm one for the pressure washer equipment. Im confused with drives as Im not sure which one to order. Here are the two options

1. 3/8" option
2. 1/4" option

Can you guide me further? I want something that I can expand further if need be depending on my future requirements. Also can I use this socket equipment on unscrewing nuts and bolts from bikes?

Also, another query. The brass pipe on the pressure washer lance has become too tight to unscrew it as I could do earlier. How can I unscrew this pipe now?

Thanks.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 25th May 2013 at 11:16.
Old 25th May 2013, 12:06   #555
Senior - BHPian

3/8 and 1/4 refers to the dimensions of the square plug (the width) that is on every ratchet/ This mates with the opening in he socket.

As the torque required increases so does the drive.

1/4" is for small sizes
3/8" for medium sizes
1/2" is for most sizes upto 40mm sockets
3/4" & 1" are for large sizes

Each drive requires a separate socket. So you may have a 10mm socket in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drives
Initially there was only 1/2". Then manufacturers introduced the 3/8" as it made all the accessories smaller (and cheaper). Finally for small sockets and light duty 1/4" were introduced.

I bought my sockets when only 1/2" was available (8mm to 34mm as well as the American & Whitworth sizes).

If you do not need more than 12mm (or 1/2"), then 1/4" drive sets are ideal as they are small light and inexpensive (4mm - 14mm for Taparia) http://www.tapariatools.com/sockets.php#first
3/8" in 6mm - 22mm
1/2" in 8mm - 34mm
3/4" in 22mm - 70mm
1" in 36mm - 80mm
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks