Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:38   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer.

+1 - this is much more than a DIY job. Will take a bit of rubbing down with paste, and then clear coat - will take a couple of hours.

Ouch - must have been a large vehicle really cramped for space, otherwise the ORVM wouldn't have been scratched.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:02   #422
BHPian

Actually the place where I parked my vehicle is opp to a shop. And it is a local market place. So, load van/lorries are very frequent. never thought some vehicle would have brushed it like this.

Will this be done by A.S.S ?

Any ball park figure?
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:33   #423
BHPian

Hello experts,

I would like to purchase a crimping tool for wire connecting as some of my DIY projects are not neat due to the twisted wire joints. I am looking for this type of sockets and inserts to be crimped with this tool.

Tools for a DIYer-femalecrimprecept6.3mmrc.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-malecrimpblade6.32.5mmrc.jpg

How much will be the cost of this tool?
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:53   #424
Senior - BHPian

Less than 300 for a good China-made one. Available at any good hardware store.
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:53   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Actually the place where I parked my vehicle is opp to a shop. And it is a local market place. So, load van/lorries are very frequent. never thought some vehicle would have brushed it like this.

Will this be done by A.S.S ?

Any ball park figure?
dre@ms, this cant be fixed by a DIY . Take it to a competent workshop and get it repainted. The A.S.S can definitely fix this and IMO looks like it wont be a patch job. Am sure the doors have to be dismantled and repainted fully.

If its an expensive job to be done, claim insurance and get it done at an authorized service center.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:09   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Less than 300 for a good China-made one. Available at any good hardware store.
Thank you sir, Any specific name should I have to say like RJ45/11 or so? Couldn't find its name from net.
Old 23rd March 2011, 23:23   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
dre@ms, this cant be fixed by a DIY . Take it to a competent workshop and get it repainted. The A.S.S can definitely fix this and IMO looks like it wont be a patch job. Am sure the doors have to be dismantled and repainted fully.

If its an expensive job to be done, claim insurance and get it done at an authorized service center.
Thanks pal. Will take it to the A.S.S and ask them to do an assessment.

Cheers
Old 24th March 2011, 08:51   #428
BHPian

I have few tools in my boot. But I always wanted to buy Torque wrench. When I enquired in GP road the cost varies between 2~3 K right from smaller ranges to higher torque ranges. Ideal requirement will be 10Nm to 110 Nm. Am I missing the range. What I heard from them is Taiwan wrenches are good compared to Indian wrenches.
Also I am planning to buy portable mini welding machine. I have seen 1 sq foot red box machine but no idea about the cost and amperage.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 24th March 2011, 10:02   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
... Any specific name should I have to say like RJ45/11 or so? ...
Nah, if you say RJ45 (which is actually different from what you want) and all that they will just blink! Ask for a "crimping tool", "lug crimping tool" or "terminal crimping tool". You might also get it in a box with a sample set of different terminals lugs.

Come to think of it, I have been planning to buy this for the last 20+ years - lazy me, never got around to doing it!
Old 24th March 2011, 10:27   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Nah, if you say RJ45 (which is actually different from what you want) and all that they will just blink! Ask for a "crimping tool", "lug crimping tool" or "terminal crimping tool". You might also get it in a box with a sample set of different terminals lugs.

Come to think of it, I have been planning to buy this for the last 20+ years - lazy me, never got around to doing it!

I know sir RJ45/11 are in different league which are data carriers, that was just to get an idea about what I need to say at the shop

Same here I was longing for such a tool since the day I started splicing with the wires, but whenever I go to some hardware shop I gracefully forget this.
Old 24th March 2011, 12:08   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Thank you sir, Any specific name should I have to say like RJ45/11 or so? Couldn't find its name from net.
I think these are called "Spade" terminals, male and female. Even if it is something else, once you ask in the shop they will show all they have. I used to solder the wires using a large iron - 100W, and then crimp them using "water pump" adjustable pliers. Tongue-and-groove pliers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 24th March 2011, 12:24   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I think these are called "Spade" terminals, male and female. Even if it is something else, once you ask in the shop they will show all they have. I used to solder the wires using a large iron - 100W, and then crimp them using "water pump" adjustable pliers. Tongue-and-groove pliers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have this plier and tried many times with this too but only a crimping tool can ensure trouble free fixing.

Does any other solution for connecting 3-4 wires to be spliced and that can be easily disconnected when its required like in combo connectors like this?

Tools for a DIYer-scn_electric_socket_terminal_connector.jpg
Old 24th March 2011, 13:54   #433
Senior - BHPian

Molex connectors should do the job - cheap and best. Can carry reasonable amount of current.

Last edited by DerAlte : 24th March 2011 at 13:56.
Old 24th March 2011, 17:08   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Molex connectors should do the job - cheap and best. Can carry reasonable amount of current.
Thank you sir, I think this is the most suitable one for my use as this will ensure the polarity too. I'll check with the electronic shop guys about the availablility and the tool too. I've seen this as extension cable for PCs.

Tools for a DIYer-molex_extension.jpg

Last edited by sajjt : 24th March 2011 at 17:09.
Old 27th March 2011, 01:17   #435
BHPian

Can anyone confirm if the logan's body panel screws are all torx heads?

Any idea where I can find torx type screwdrivers ? I'm only able to find key type sets (L shaped like allen key).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks