Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 13:07   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
reverse is very useful --- for removing screws.

Of course, a dedicated electric screwdriver is better, but if one is making do with just a drill ...
I think that the drill speed is on the higher side for removing screws. I have an electric screw driver which has low RPM and very high torque.

The reverse in drill is normally used to extract masonry bits which have jammed in the hole.
Old 1st March 2011, 13:22   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

I hadn't thought of that.

My drill can be used on very slow speed, but the torque, etc, is not really right for screwdriving/undriving (undriving? I think I made that up) but --- it's just better than nothing!
Old 1st March 2011, 21:11   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Why? I recently got one Bosch Drill machine (w/o reverse switch) for Rs1700/- with some 5 concrete drilling bits (2mm-10mm diameters). Supports steady and hammer functions. All with 1 year manufacturer warranty with bill.

You must get correct shop and look for correct model.
But this kit included spirit levels, hammer, tape and some more stuff. people have got it for 3.7k from bangalore
Old 16th March 2011, 13:25   #409
BHPian

hi,

I parked my spark on the road side and went for buying provisions and when came back shock to see my car left side was hit by some vehicle and the black plastic bar has come out at the end of the door
The side also has some bad scratch marks with the other vehicles colors sticking on it(Maroon color)

Now what tools I require to clear of the maroon paint from the scratch and to stick the plastic bar?

For better understanding I am posting the pic in which the plastic bar is marked.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-spark-side.jpg  

Old 16th March 2011, 15:53   #410
Senior - BHPian

1. For the paint rub-off, you needs some polishing compound. Your service center should be able to do it for free if it is a small area

2. Get some good (3M) double-sided tape to stick the rubber bar back on. Be sure to clean both the surfaces of dust and moisture before sticking. Alternative is 'rubber solution' (e.g. Fevicol SR) to stick it - stick it, remove it, wait for the solution to be almost dry, and then press it on firmly
Old 16th March 2011, 17:03   #411
BHPian

@DerAlte
Thanks for the suggestion. Will have to see how stubborn is the paint sticking on to the scratch lines.

And regards to the second sugg(bar thing), only a inch of the black bar as come out(between the front and back door joint), when seen on the door, I could see a small knob which will keep the bar intact. So, apply the fevicol in that knob and in the same place opposite on the bar, wait for it to dry and then press the bar to the door. Am I doing it right?

And where can I get this Fevicol SR??
Old 17th March 2011, 13:22   #412
Senior - BHPian

The 'knob' you mention is a 'button' as the mechanics call it. If the end of the 'bar' is raised, sticking to the button will not help. Maybe if you go to your A.S.S., they will pull the whole thing out and and put back the buttons properly - no cost.

But if the button is OK but still the bar is raised ugly at the end, try double-sided tape. Fevicol SR tubes are available usually in your friendly neighborhood hardware or stationery stores as 'rubber solution'.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:27   #413
BHPian

Exactly, the bar is raised at the edge for an inch. Yesterday I did try to see whether the button is ok, but cannot get a proper glimpse of it(it was night). I tried to push the bar into the button, but no luck.

Will hunt for the rubber solution. Can I apply it on the bar edges and just stick it to the door or I need to apply them to the button and the pointer under the bar?

I am n00b when comes to cars.
Old 17th March 2011, 16:16   #414
Senior - BHPian

Apply it on the bar edges and stick it.
Old 17th March 2011, 16:42   #415
BHPian

Thanks mate. Gonna do it this saturday, will update how it went.
Old 21st March 2011, 11:36   #416
BHPian

UPDATE

Bought Fevicol SR 998 solution, stirred it well and started applying it to the edges of the plastic bar and on the button (The pointer on the bar which goes into the button in the door is broken). Waited for it to dry and applied pressure to stick them. The end of the bar got stuck well but not the edges. May be I should wait for some more time for the solution to dry or to apply more pressure, but the edges fail to stick.

And the scratches are so bad, the color of the other vehicle is very stubborn to be removed. Any ideas?

I am thinking of putting some stickers on those scratches to conceal them and change the plastic bars.

Will the A.S.S charge for the bar?
Old 21st March 2011, 12:17   #417
Senior - BHPian

Of course they will charge for replacing the bar! If the end is sticking well, it will hold for some time. If it comes out once again, ask them to take out the whole bar, replace the broken button and put it back.

What did you use to remove the paint? Can you post a pic taken with a decent camera?
Old 21st March 2011, 16:36   #418
BHPian

I didnt use anything to remove the paint. Will take a shot tomorrow morning and post it here.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:22   #419
BHPian

Here are the pics..
1. Both the doors meeting point
2. Close up shot of the above
3. Front door near the front tyre
4. LRVM

And you can see the front door bar edge is still sticking, but the other edges are loose.

Weak hearts..dont see
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-img_0266.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img_0269.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img_0270.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img_0271.jpg  

Last edited by dre@ms : 22nd March 2011 at 12:23.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:16   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Here are the pics..
1. Both the doors meeting point
2. Close up shot of the above
3. Front door near the front tyre
4. LRVM

And you can see the front door bar edge is still sticking, but the other edges are loose.

Weak hearts..dont see
From the pics your car needs a professional attention, and its beyond a DIY session IMHO, better take it to SVC for a quality repair. They can restore it to the original state without much damage to your wallet.

It seems you parked the car on wrong side, how come left side scratched?

Last edited by sajjt : 22nd March 2011 at 13:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks