Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 17:28   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The "wall puncher" (masonry punch) is for some strange reason called a "jumper" in Bangalore
I'm glad its being called so because its the same here too ; hope you meant this one as jumper
Tools for a DIYer-jumper.jpg

Quote:
No, Bosch does not make those plastic plugs - other than the drill they source the whole kit from vendors. And yes, these plugs are so ubiquitous nowadays that no electrician or plumber carries wooden plugs (or teak pieces to make plugs out of).
IMO, the plugs are the best because, the work comes out professional & there're so many hassles with the wood. I personally like the outcome of plugs that the screws can be screwed in properly rather than hammering in the wood. Yes, it can be screwed inside the wood, however, its much much better with plastic plugs. Reliability? I haven't found any issues so far. You can be right that Bosch doesn't make the plugs, but, I got a set when I bought my GSB10, but they look way ahead in quality. Here're the pics, the left one is the one I got from Bosch & right one from local H/W store.
Tools for a DIYer-plug.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 29th October 2010 at 17:30.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:06   #347
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am a first timer to this thread, I had normal hand tools + common power tools and Tuning tools for a mechanical car from many many years.

But till now they were either in shoe boxes or broken shabby tool box. Yesterday tough I bought a 9 compartment one for 1300 bucks @ SP Road bangalore.

Next in line some serious power tools.

Tools for a DIYer-dsc07565.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-dsc07566.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-dsc07567.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-dsc07568.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-dsc07569.jpg
Old 29th October 2010, 22:55   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Any pointers on drilling on tiles? I need to put some screws on the bathroom tiles to install a shelf.
Bosch makes a special drill bit for Tiles. apparently the same bit also works with glass... although I have never tried that..

Its shaped like an arrow... and works beautifully. I got mine from Metro C & C

http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/de...-Bit-5823.html

Last edited by AbhiJ : 29th October 2010 at 22:58.
Old 29th October 2010, 23:48   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

manishalive, that is quite a toolbox! I have a simpler version. Watch out for those corners (assuming it is steel) they can damage ankles! In fact, I badly bruised a toe tripping over my box, but that can't be blamed on the box.

AbhhiJ, is your arrow-shaped drill for glass too? I think glass drills are that shape. I just wouldn't dare to try drilling glass!
Old 30th October 2010, 07:07   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
manishalive, that is quite a toolbox! I have a simpler version.
Thanks, I also had the simpler version till now, I am using it now for non standard tools. Lack of space compelled me against the big drawer type tool boxes.
Old 30th October 2010, 08:36   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Any pointers on drilling on tiles? I need to put some screws on the bathroom tiles to install a shelf.
Well, have read somewhere that one should put some tape on the tile before you drill, so that it wont crack up

It sounds logical to me, even though I have not personally tied it.
Old 30th October 2010, 09:11   #352
Senior - BHPian

Tape will only prevent the bit from wandering at the start, but won't prevent the glazing from cracking (it is the glazing that cracks, as it is more brittle than the rest of the tile).
Old 4th November 2010, 10:59   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Guys,

I am a first timer to this thread, I had normal hand tools + common power tools and Tuning tools for a mechanical car from many many years.

But till now they were either in shoe boxes or broken shabby tool box. Yesterday tough I bought a 9 compartment one for 1300 bucks @ SP Road bangalore.

Next in line some serious power tools.

Attachment 446245

Attachment 446246

Attachment 446247

Attachment 446248

Attachment 446249
Nice tool box. How much it weighs on its own approx ?
Looks like this kind of box would help me to conserve space and keep things handy.
I have a plastic one, the basic orange colored on you see in common, but just not enough.
Old 10th November 2010, 13:43   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Nice tool box. How much it weighs on its own approx ?
Looks like this kind of box would help me to conserve space and keep things handy.
I have a plastic one, the basic orange colored on you see in common, but just not enough.
around 2-3 kgs. this is the best money can buy for a small amount.
Old 16th November 2010, 13:06   #355
Senior - BHPian

Offlate, I've been tired of washing my hands after working hard on my motorcycle with grease, mud, oil & what not? Even the cloths that I use for cleaning the stuffs are of not much use, especially when cleaning chains, they cause a big trouble between my flesh & nails & the stain remains there for atleast 2 days.

I've been thinking to purchase a pair of mechanic gloves. I know Craftsman, Stanley have good mechanic gloves, but what I like to understand is, are there any mechanic gloves that are resistance to grease & oil so that I can still work on chains, bearings etc without the grease & oil being passed on to my hands?

PS - I hope this qualifies for a question for DIY thread

Last edited by aargee : 16th November 2010 at 13:08.
Old 16th November 2010, 14:13   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've been tired of washing my hands after working hard on my motorcycle with grease, mud, oil & what not?
What do you use? Is that miracle hand cleaner Swarfega available in India?

Minor British Institutions: Swarfega

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th November 2010 at 14:17.
Old 16th November 2010, 14:27   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What do you use? Is that miracle hand cleaner Swarfega available in India?
Nah!!! those are expensive affairs & I've not seen one here; I use one of these & are very effective - One, Two, Three

All of them are effective, just that the dirt between the nails & fingers are little nagging.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:04   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
...put some tape on the tile before you drill, so that it wont crack up...
Quote:
...Tape will only prevent the bit from wandering at the start, but won't prevent the glazing from cracking ...
My trusted way is to punch a small "depression" using a punch (or a big nail) and a hammer before starting to drill the wall tiles. A gentle tap with a hammer does the trick- removes the glaze coat and the "depression" on the tile surface confines the bit from wandering .

-BJ
Old 16th November 2010, 16:12   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Nah!!! those are expensive affairs & I've not seen one here; I use one of these & are very effective - One, Two, Three

All of them are effective, just that the dirt between the nails & fingers are little nagging.
Pity about the Swarfega. Wonderful stuff: the dirt, oil and greese, just lifts off --- and the smell reminds me of engineering factories and their machines, for which I have always had a soft spot.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:39   #360
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Offlate, I've been tired of washing my hands after working hard on my motorcycle with grease, mud, oil & what not? Even the cloths that I use for cleaning the stuffs are of not much use, especially when cleaning chains, they cause a big trouble between my flesh & nails & the stain remains there for atleast 2 days.

I've been thinking to purchase a pair of mechanic gloves. I know Craftsman, Stanley have good mechanic gloves, but what I like to understand is, are there any mechanic gloves that are resistance to grease & oil so that I can still work on chains, bearings etc without the grease & oil being passed on to my hands?

PS - I hope this qualifies for a question for DIY thread
I use surf (washing powder) -- yes & for years. Its effective , there is always a small bottle in the vehicle kit too .

Try it once , its not odd as it sounds.

But not sure about its effects on hands of daily & sustained long use ( my hands are rough anyway )

The real problem is working with diesel engines ( oil , old ), there I use some kerosine before surf .

Sudarshan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks