Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:59   #316
AWD
BHPian

Thanks for the insight fellows. I have attached pics. of 3 different types of drill bits. Now, it should be easy to determine which one is used for what purpose.
Also which one is tungsten tipped?
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-22092010156.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-22092010157.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-22092010158.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2010, 20:21   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Thanks for the insight fellows. I have attached pics. of 3 different types of drill bits. Now, it should be easy to determine which one is used for what purpose.
Also which one is tungsten tipped?
Shiny ones. They're the one used for concrete.

First set is for metal, and the last set is for wood.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:15   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah... those are the ones DerAlte is talking about for wood, I guess.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:13   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ah... those are the ones DerAlte is talking about for wood, I guess.
Here's the spade bit
Tools for a DIYer-spadebits.jpg
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:16   #320
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the three-point ones in the last pic above are the ones I was talking of for wood. THey are basically the same as the HSS twist-drill bits, but the tips are ground differently on purpose.

@AWD, the silver-colored ones in the middle pic have Tungsten Carbide inserts brazed into the tip. Tungsten Carbide being extremely hard, pulverizes stone and concrete on impact (hence the impact setting on the drill). These drill tips don't work well for grinding or cutting away material (look closely, they are blunt), though the same Tungsten Carbide is used on the tips of lathe bits (ground to a sharp edge / point) for cutting metal.

The German company Krupp named Tungsten Carbide as Widia (from "Wie Diamanten" - "like diamonds" referring to the hardness of diamonds) - the origin of the company called Widia (has a factory in Bangalore), now owned by Kennametal USA.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:47   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Sajit, I never saw the one on the left before!

Back in my semi-/un-skilled factory time (it financed my hippie days), I almost got to be able to sharpen twist drills properly. It is one thing to get them to make holes, and another to get them to make round holes of the right size, which is rather more important in engineering than when putting up a picture on the wall.

Later on, when I was making jewellery as a hobby, a friend showed me how to grind a needle to a point that would drill silver.
Old 24th September 2010, 10:52   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... how to grind a needle to a point that would drill silver.
Interesting! And how was that done? Not using a whet-stone, I suppose? And what did you use as a drill/chuck?

I used to use a 1mm twist-bit, held in a watch-maker's screwdriver holder, to very laboriously drill holes in printed-circuit boards I used to make at home for my electronics stuff in the 70's. Would take ~30secs per hole in phenolic, more in glass-fibre boards. (Shucks, I feel like I am from the jurassic era )
Old 24th September 2010, 13:38   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a long time ago... the needle is sharpened to an arrow head sort of shape. Yes, I guess I would have used a stone to do it. The drill was a pythagorean hand drill, which I still have, and will post a pic. Jurasic? well, not quite that old, but this is truly ancient technology

Later I had a proper motor with a flexible drive, like an old-fashioned dentist's tool! I still have twist drills much less than 1mm
Old 24th September 2010, 13:51   #324
BHPian

Where can i buy Bosch products in Bangalore? I am looking for a hammer drill and drill bit.
can anyone suggest any specific model to look for?
Old 24th September 2010, 15:15   #325
Senior - BHPian

The set in the photo that AWD posted in the previous page is available in Spar Hypermarket (I picked it up from there). Even Home Town sells these, but these places don't have too many choices.
There is a tool shop in Commercial Street, near the police station where you get good variety.
I heard that there is a bosch dealer near SP road, but I am not sure of the location.
Old 24th September 2010, 20:28   #326
Senior - BHPian

For Bosch drills and other tools, go to the main Bosch outlet (Kayvee Associates) on Bannerghatta Road behind Mico / Bosch factory. This place is on the 2nd floor of a building opposite a granite yard (Venkateshawara Granites?? I forget ). I am sure you will come away with a lot more than the drill!

Kayvee Associates also has an outlet in Jayanagar (149, 37th Cross, 26th Main, 9th Block).
Old 24th September 2010, 21:28   #327
AWD
BHPian

I bought from Bosch outlet in my City. Bosch has dealerships in major towns/cities.
Alternately one can check out local tools market, hardware shops, etc. they usually stock Bosch tools. There are many shops in our City which sell Bosch stuff.

One could try the Bosch India website for more details.
Old 7th October 2010, 17:32   #328
BHPian

can anyone tell me where one can get a very small tube of dry graphite lubricant ? im in delhi ncr
Old 7th October 2010, 18:20   #329
AWD
BHPian

Update: Thanks fellows, I used the Bosch drill on Marble with the suggested bitts & it worked fine. A neat job in the end. Using water in-between made the process more effective.

Next use would be on Wood, should be relatively easy!
Old 20th October 2010, 13:40   #330
Senior - BHPian

Which are better cordless power tool...

18 volts or 32 volts system. I know that higher the voltage lower the current but does going for a 32 volts has it benefits ???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks