Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 08:57   #2521
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Guys, any tips on a dremel attachment for a drilling machine ? And how much cutting can be done with such an attachment ?

Plan to get a Black&Decker 500W single speed 10mm drill. Or if possible, a variable speed corded.
Old 18th August 2021, 10:52   #2522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, any tips on a dremel attachment for a drilling machine ? And how much cutting can be done with such an attachment ?

Plan to get a Black&Decker 500W single speed 10mm drill. Or if possible, a variable speed corded.
Dremel is a very high speed machine and cannot usually be replaced with the normal drill. The reason for very high speed is

. The material removal rate depends on the speed. Higher it is faster is the removal.
. As the speed increases the quantity of material removed at each rotation is very little (though quantity in a given time is more), so the finish is smoother.

So a dremel uses small bits at high speed to achieve fast and smooth finish. This is similar to the drill used by dentist. The drill bit is very small but it rotates upwards of 20K rpm (upto 100K in some drills). The dental drill performs effortlessly with barely any pain to the patient. Same with dremel.
Aroy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 10:55   #2523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Dremel is a very high speed machine and cannot usually be replaced with the normal drill.
Thanks, @Aroy. I am looking if I can use that attachment (for drilling machines) to cut some small wood strips - max 19mm plywood, about 3 inches wide. Or may be PVC water pipes. I also have a plastic drum and want to remove the top part.

This is the kind of usage I am looking at. Can the dremel attachment be used for such cutting ?

Last edited by condor : 18th August 2021 at 10:58.
Old 18th August 2021, 11:21   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, @Aroy. I am looking if I can use that attachment (for drilling machines) to cut some small wood strips - max 19mm plywood, about 3 inches wide.

Can the dremel attachment be used for such cutting ?
I think that it will be cheaper to get a electric saw with 5" dia blade.

https://www.flipkart.com/relfa-rf-cm...b37d3745b0fc29
Old 18th August 2021, 15:20   #2525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dremel is a very high speed machine and cannot usually be replaced with the normal drill. The reason for very high speed is

. The material removal rate depends on the speed. Higher it is faster is the removal.
. As the speed increases the quantity of material removed at each rotation is very little (though quantity in a given time is more), so the finish is smoother.

So a dremel uses small bits at high speed to achieve fast and smooth finish. This is similar to the drill used by dentist. The drill bit is very small but it rotates upwards of 20K rpm (upto 100K in some drills). The dental drill performs effortlessly with barely any pain to the patient. Same with dremel.
It's all to do with the foot/second cutting speed. I was trying to polish something with a small buff on a Dremel: nothing was happening. Then I realised that I'm using a half-inch, not five-inch diameter. put the speed to max and got my result.

My entry-level Dremel has several speeds, but I so much miss having a foot-control variable setup.

The modern dentist drill requires and has more than high speed. It has a water cooling system, and, without that, it would hurt like hell. Probably more than the old slow-speed drills. (Oh... local anaesthetics are handy too!)

Quote:
What do you mean by Dremel attachment? Do you mean a flexible shaft?

Quote:
Don't get a single-speed drill. One almost always wants to start slow, and there are just different speeds for different jobs, eg the difference between masonry and wood. And you won't be able to use it as a scredriver.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th August 2021 at 15:22.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 15:57   #2526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What do you mean by Dremel attachment? Do you mean a flexible shaft?
this type.

And thanks for the point about different speeds for different tasks.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 01:07   #2527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK. Two things would be bad about that. First is the question of if the tool spindle is too small for the drill chuck to tighten on it. Second, and more important, assuming that the tool fits is that, ergonomically, it would be like using a scalpel blade attached to the end of a hammer handle.

The ideal Dremel/etc tool would be pen-sized. They can't make them that small (although flexible-drive handpieces get closer, but that gives a feel of how the tool is designed to be used.

Of course, there would be jobs you could do with a Dremel tool on the end of a heavy electric drill. But you probably wouldn't want to.

edit: yes, a randomly picked Dremel-type tool spindle does get held by my Bosch electric-drill chuck.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th August 2021 at 01:13.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 23:14   #2528
BHPian

Hi DIYers, I am looking to invest in a socket set for basic DIY on my car and bike. Do you think the below amazon product will suffice? Any feedback.

AmazonBasics Mechanics Socket Set (Pack of 40) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B074MGT7G6/...2DSHWXM0FAXVB4
Old 4th September 2021, 23:21   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Hi DIYers, I am looking to invest in a socket set for basic DIY on my car and bike. Do you think the below amazon product will suffice? Any feedback.

AmazonBasics Mechanics Socket Set (Pack of 40) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B074MGT7G6/...2DSHWXM0FAXVB4
For basic work this kit is more than enough. You will also need some open ended spanners, torx, allen bits and screwdrivers.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 23:48   #2530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I suggest you go for the Taparia set which has a more useable toolset https://www.amazon.in/Taparia-SA46-S..._t1_B06XPY7JJM
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 11:24   #2531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Taparia is a much better choice
https://www.amazon.in/Taparia-SA46-S..._t2_B074MGT7G6

This is a 1/4" drive set, so larger sockets are not provided. You can always buy the larger sizes - 17mm, 22mm, 24mm, 27mm if needed.

A full set of metric sockets will suffice, as SAE sockets are not needed except for American vehicles.
Aroy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 13:53   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
For basic work this kit is more than enough. You will also need some open ended spanners, torx, allen bits and screwdrivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I suggest you go for the Taparia set which has a more useable toolset
Quote:
Taparia is a much better choice

This is a 1/4" drive set, so larger sockets are not provided. You can always buy the larger sizes - 17mm, 22mm, 24mm, 27mm if needed.
Thank you. Just placed an order for the the Taparia set. Now waiting to start the DIY journey.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 19:59   #2533
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Black & Decker power screwdriver KC4815 that runs on NiCd batteries. Batteries would be 1.2v x 4. Can i swap the NiCD to NiMH or Li Ion ? These batteries are internal, and charging is via an adapter.

The charging is not timed. There are indicators on the screwdriver (Red, Amber, Green) to show the status. So I will have to be stopping the charging manually each time.

Reason - the batteries have degraded due to dis-use. I am thinking of changing the batteries, and looking at the options.

Last edited by condor : 17th September 2021 at 20:07.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 15:32   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Black & Decker power screwdriver KC4815 that runs on NiCd batteries. Batteries would be 1.2v x 4. Can i swap the NiCD to NiMH or Li Ion ? These batteries are internal, and charging is via an adapter.

The charging is not timed. There are indicators on the screwdriver (Red, Amber, Green) to show the status. So I will have to be stopping the charging manually each time.

Reason - the batteries have degraded due to dis-use. I am thinking of changing the batteries, and looking at the options.
NiMH are drop in replacements for NiCd, but they are sensitive to overcharging. Unlike NiCd they don't suffer from any memory effect. This is probably the best way to go. If you can get a suitable 4 cell holder for standard AA (or AAA) where you can recharge individual cells in a smart NIMH charger, it would be the best solution. Otherwise make sure you don't overcharge via the old charger.

Li-ion batteries with a proper charger and BMS should work, but I'm not qualified to comment on the safety aspects.
Old 18th September 2021, 18:52   #2535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
NiMH are drop in replacements for NiCd, but they are sensitive to overcharging. .. . If you can get a suitable 4 cell holder for standard AA (or AAA) where you can recharge individual cells in a smart NIMH charger, it would be the best solution. Otherwise make sure you don't overcharge via the old charger.
Thanks. The cells are inside the screwdriver, and not removable. Removing means a servicing task.

Regarding charging/over-charging - this will have to be a visual monitoring, as I have mentioned earlier.

Most Viewed