Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2021, 09:09   #2491
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
. For your convenience I checked pidilite products (link).

Hope that helps.

And thanks for dragging me in. Pretty interesting stuff, never knew such a thread existed.
Hey thanks, @Thermodynamics! You've helped out already. Never occurred to me to search their website for pdfs. The two documents you linked to are really useful. Have just skimmed them, but it's the kind of first level information that a DIYer needs. Thanks again!
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 22:24   #2492
BHPian

Here is the latest addition to my Power Tools ; another 4 inch Angle Grinder .

Tools for a DIYer-2nd-angle-grinder.jpg
The reason I added another Angle Grinder is that Angle Grinders live a very hard life . Due to their design, they suck in all the dust they are grinding or cutting . If you ever open up an Angle Grinder, finding dust in the armature is nothing out of the ordinary . And since, my use requires the Angle Grinder to be used most and the hardest, having a backup is always a good idea .

This one is a copy of the Dewalt DW801 model, the earlier one was a copy of Bosch GWS 600 design wise . Personally I feel the DW801 design is much better than the GWS 600 design . This is actually another reason of buying it .

On a bit off-topic, I mostly buy tools ( Power or Hand ) offline . For me, there is nothing like holding the tool in hand to see how it feels and powering it up, in case of a Power Tool to feel for vibrations or the lack of it , before buying it . But I decided to break this habit and order something online . I ordered some cutting discs from toolbuy(dot)com . I don't know what experience others have, but mine was not hunky dory to say the least . They completely missed the delivery date , there is no tracking of package , they don't respond to e-mails or any other form of communication . If their service was as good as their prices I would have ordered a ton more , but from the look of things that's not going to happen .
SB08121980 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 17:26   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Re: Faux Leather vs Genuine leather

I am looking for Rubber Hand Gloves with 0.5mm or 1mm thickness for doing Electrical Work.

I have searched on internet and came across following information-
1. Class 00 Electrical Gloves-for working upto 500V AC/ 750V DC (Thickness- 0.5mm)

2. Class 0 Electrical Gloves-for working upto 1000V AC/ 1500V DC (Thickness- 1mm)

Also if I have to do some mechanical work alongwith Electrical work, I have to wear Leather Gloves over the Electrical Gloves.

Could someone please help me in buying the Electrical as well as Leather gloves?

Also please don't suggest Animal Leather Gloves as I don't like to use them. No offense to those who use them.
My budget is - Rs. 1000-1500/-

Mods: Please move to appropriate thread if it is irrelevant here. Thank you.
Old 18th June 2021, 18:32   #2494
BHPian

Re: Faux Leather vs Genuine leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I am looking for Rubber Hand Gloves with 0.5mm or 1mm thickness for doing Electrical Work.
We own an electrical goods supply business ; we supply switches , switchgears , DBs , electrical wires , GI boxes, conceal wiring pipes etc to domestic construction projects .

I have myself single handedly, done all the electrical wiring at my shop . I also have a house under construction, I plan to do all the wiring job myself .

If you can elaborate on what sort of electrical job, you would be doing as a DIYer, maybe I could help you out .

Thanks and Regards
SB08121980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 10:43   #2495
BHPian

I am looking for a sturdy heavy duty 24 inch breaker bar (3/4 or 1/2 inch square drive) that I intend to use to loosen the wheel lug nuts of my car and re-tighten them with the proper and recommended torque settings using a torque wrench.

The wheel alignment shops use insanely high torque to tighten the wheel lugs using pneumatic power wrenches and it becomes well neigh impossible for a regular person to loosen the nuts using the supplied angle socket wrench in the car's tool box..
Hence the need for a 24" sturdy square drive breaker bar..

The breaker bars I liked were very highly priced on Amazon (Rs 6,000+)

Are there cheaper options?
ssenhyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 12:31   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post
Buy an ordinary GI pipe from the local hardware store. Length is up to you. 3 to 4 ft should be plenty. Slide it over your wheel spanner (or whatever) handle for extra leverage. (it's called a cheater bar I think)
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-screenshot_20210621123914.jpg  

Last edited by mvadg : 21st June 2021 at 12:41. Reason: Added pic and some more information for clarity
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 13:27   #2497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hence the need for a 24" sturdy square drive breaker bar..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Buy an ordinary GI pipe from the local hardware store.
I thought this was a common knowledge. Long back I used to work in a maintenance job and use of long pipe was out go to method. First time I was about use hammer but my superior explained me why use of hammer is bad and instead use long pipe as extension.

For OP, the only issue is carrying it in the trunk all around. A dead weight that you might need once in a while.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 16:02   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Buy an ordinary GI pipe from the local hardware store. Length is up to you. 3 to 4 ft should be plenty. Slide it over your wheel spanner (or whatever) handle for extra leverage. (it's called a cheater bar I think)
The only important thing to do when using such extensions to spanners - Do not wrap your fingers around the Pipe. Instead keep Palm open. Should the Spanner or Pipe slip, your Palm would hit the surface or objects nearby, not your knuckles. This is very important while opening Wheel lugs since they are rarely opened. Wheel Spanner / Socket used to open them, tends to slip away.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 21st June 2021 at 16:04.
Amrik Singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 18:14   #2499
BHPian

Quote:
The breaker bars I liked were very highly priced on Amazon (Rs 6,000+)
I use this 3/4 inch rachet with atachment to step down to 1/2 inch. I keep this in my car. This has never failed me. I have a breaker bar of 90 cm but this 3/8 inch rachet works better.

You should avoid the tyre shops that dont use torque sticks.

Tools for a DIYer-skralle.jpg

Last edited by Indian2003 : 21st June 2021 at 18:18.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 20:12   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
I use this 3/4 inch rachet with atachment to step down to 1/2 inch. I keep this in my car. This has never failed me. I have a breaker bar of 90 cm but this 3/8 inch rachet works better.

Attachment 2169376
What is the lenghth, make and price?
Old 21st June 2021, 20:49   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
That rules out 99.99% of the shops in India. The only place where I have personally seen a torque wrench being used for fitting wheels was at the Toyota service center in Srinagar.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 20:51   #2502
BHPian

Quote:
What is the lenghth, make and price?
The length is 50 cm. I paid 24 euros 4 years ago but today it costs 37. This is not bought in India. The handle is thick and gives a very good grip and less effort is needed to loosen the wheel nuts.

Dont worry about brands. This one I have costs about a tenth of the price of a Hazet, Stahlville or other big name brands.

Tools for a DIYer-img1277.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img3986.jpg
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 20:53   #2503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
That rules out 99.99% of the shops in India...
Add to that all the tyre places I ever visited in London.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 21:17   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
What is the length, make and price?
Tube Length should be ideally 36 inch for Cars. We used long solid bars for Truck and Bus Wheels. Now this 36" can be in Two Pieces for the ease of stacking in Car tools. One of the Bar should have a longer Male Socket Welded on one end, to slide / accept the second Piece to make it an extension.
I use Bottle Hydraulic Jack in place of OEM supplied Screw Jack. Now this requires a Pipe to operate / Pump the Jack. If longer Pipe is required, the Pipe used for opening the Wheel Bolts comes handy here too.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 21:47   #2505
BHPian

Quote:

The wheel alignment shops use insanely high torque to tighten the wheel lugs using pneumatic power wrenches and it becomes well neigh impossible for a regular person to loosen the nuts using the supplied angle socket wrench in the car's tool box..
Those pneumatic impact wrenches not only make it hell difficult to unscrew those lug nuts when you have a flat tyre; I have seen threads get damaged and some cases, even the bolt shears off due those impact wrenches .

I don't mind using impacts to take off the nuts , but while screwing them on , I don't let them use the impacts . Also every time the lugs nuts are taken off, I apply a medium strength thread locker before screwing on the nuts .

As for cheaper option , the "cheater bar" improvisation is the cheapest , or you can look at a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar made by Taparia ( approx 18 inches length ) . That retails for a little under thousand bucks .

If your lug-nuts are of 19mm size, and if you have a medium strength threadlocker applied , I don't think you would need more than 18 inches of leverage , IMO .
SB08121980 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks