Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2021, 21:08   #2476
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
No the battery and the tool is working fine, but battery do degrade over time and 2 years is a lot of time. I do not know exactly how much would be % drop in useable life but it will certainly be there and with my kind of intermittent usage it will only worsen the battery life.

Also most starter packs come with 2 batteries and for my kind of use will suffice for the moment but yes we can purchase bigger ones later.

But all that is secondary now, I need suggestion as to what would be right product to get.
Good quality batteries last well over 5 years. I have Milwaukee 12V batteries bought in 2012 and are still going strong. I got additional 12v batteries with another kit in 2019. There is a difference in run time between the 2012 and 2019 batteries but not to the extend to make them unusable. Most of the time, I dont even notice the difference.
Makita batteries should be better or at least as good as Milwaukees.

When storing, I never keep the batteries empty or at full charge. I always ensure the batteries are at 50-60% of its capacity when stored.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 22:09   #2477
BHPian

Quote:
But all that is secondary now, I need suggestion as to what would be right product to get.
I would certainly recommend getting a tool where you are able to extend its usage. To cope with the requirements that would pop up later (Read 18V/20V system). I used to have a Black & Decker 12V, and it did not have the power to drill through a thick PVC pipe. A friend's 20V drill went through the same like butter. I switched to DeWalt 20V Max system immediately.

Be it Makita/Milwaukee/DeWalt you are buying into a tool system. You can use the same battery on any cordless tool, and you may not be able to drive a bigger tool with a 12V battery. You do not want to end up with 2 battery systems and corresponding chargers. I have been surprised by how long I can run a circular saw on a battery, the 20V batteries are great.
Brushless have less friction, less heat, better performance, I did not know they still make brushed tools.
The impact driver can be single speed, and the drill can be multiple speeds. You may need to make holes through soft material that need slower speeds, where you can pay attention. Always remember power tools only help you make the same mistakes, but much faster. Multiple speeds make it more versatile.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 14th May 2021 at 22:13.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 13:14   #2478
BHPian

Here are my Power tools , till date .

1 . 13 mm Drill Machine : I think it's the first power tool any DIYer buys . As per the sticker on it , the brand is Ho-tech Model - ID 001. It's more then 15 yr old now , works good . Good for light wood work and very light masonry drilling . It's two speed 1900 RPM and 2500 RPM and consumes 500 watts of electricity . I have disassembled and reassembled this drill for greasing the gears and changing the carbon brushes a few times .

Tools for a DIYer-13-mm-drill.jpg

The disassembly
Tools for a DIYer-13-mm-drill-teardown.jpg

2. Jigsaw : Again according to the sticker the brand is of Zogo, Model 1604L . Has 6 speeds and consumes 710 watts of electricity and can saw/cut upto 70 mm of wood . Has a option of Smooth Cut to Oscillation Cut ( three stages ; makes the blade oscillate when cutting) Smooth Cut results in a slow but neat cut and Oscillation Cut results in fast but rough cut . Can be also used to make 30 & 45 degree bevel cuts . If you are into wood working , this is an almost indispensible tool to have . Blades used are Bosch made, T119 BO for making fine cuts , T101D for clean cuts & T111C general purpose .

Tools for a DIYer-jigsaw.jpg

3. 4 Inch Angle Grinder : Once you have used this tool , you would think why didn't I buy this before ? . I have used it for cutting, grinding of metals, rust-removal , paint-stripping, polishing of metals, sanding and cutting of wood as well as cutting of ceramic tiles , granite, marble Kota stone etc. .
The brand is Electro-Star Model ES6-100 . It spins to 11000 RPM and consumes 850 watts of electricity . Till date , it's accessories include cutting discs , grinding discs , wire brush cups , two diamond cutting blades ( one segmented and one continuous ) , one TCT blade for wood cutting , two backing plates , two scotch brite wheels , two polishing wheels , and not to mention flap discs . The uses of the flap discs are as versatile as the tool itself . When it comes to use , it is the most used power tool I own . It's also the most dangerous . Be careless with it and it will cause serious injuries .

Tools for a DIYer-4-inch-angle-gringer.jpg

Some of it's attachments
Top row, left to right - Cutting disc for metals , Grinding disc , Flap disc , backing plate
Bottom Row, left to right - Segmented rim diamond whell for cutting tiles and stones , Continuous Rim Diamond Blade for tiles and stones, TCT blade for wood cutting & Wire brush (knotted ) cup

Tools for a DIYer-4-inch-angle-grinder-accessories.jpg

4. 26 mm Rotary Hammer Drill Machine : The brand is Advance , Model AP RH-26 B . It spins from 0- 900 RPM . The variable speed trigger on it is almost as good as of Bosch . It consumes 1050 watts of electricity and weighs 2.7 Kgs without the drill bit . It has three modes 1 Drill, 2 Hammer Drill & 3 Chiselling mode ( In this mode the chisel does not rotate , it chisels at 800 to 900 hits per minute ).
Speaking of drill bits, this takes SDS Plus bits only ( which means you can't use your 10 mm or 13 mm HSS/wood/masonry straight shank drill bits on this . You can however use a SDS Plus adaptor and then use them ) . To give you an idea , if a 13mm drill machine takes 1 minute to drill a hole , that same depth and diameter hole can be drilled by this 26 mm drill within 7 seconds . If you don't use the depth limiter attachment , this will drill a through and through hole in the wall ( if the bit is long enough . The tool was supplied with three TC tipped drill bits ( 6 mm , 8 mm & 10 mm ) and two chisels . Will be adding a 12 mm diameter , 300 mm working length Bosch SDS Plus 3 drill bit ( Part number 2 608 831 194 ) or equivalent soon .

Tools for a DIYer-26-mm-rotary-hammer-drill.jpg

Bits and Chisels that came with the tool .
Top to bottom - Flat chisel , pointed chisel , 10 mm SDS plus , 8 mm SDS Plus & 6 mm SDS Plus TC bits .

Tools for a DIYer-26-mm-rotary-hammer-drill-bits-chisels.jpg
SB08121980 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 11:01   #2479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Good quality batteries last well over 5 years. Makita batteries should be better or at least as good as Milwaukees.

When storing, I never keep the batteries empty or at full charge. I always ensure the batteries are at 50-60% of its capacity when stored.
Makita ones made in China are no better is what I came to understand. So far have heard great reviews of Miwaukees. Infact many of the Auto TV guys use them as well.

Your suggestion on the battery up keep is great suggestion, I will follow that on all my devices, laptop one is already shot by the way .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I would certainly recommend getting a tool where you are able to extend its usage. To cope with the requirements that would pop up later (Read 18V/20V system). I used to have a Black & Decker 12V, and it did not have the power to drill through a thick PVC pipe. A friend's 20V drill went through the same like butter. I switched to DeWalt 20V Max system immediately.

Be it Makita/Milwaukee/DeWalt you are buying into a tool system. You can use the same battery on any cordless tool, and you may not be able to drive a bigger tool with a 12V battery. You do not want to end up with 2 battery systems and corresponding chargers. I have been surprised by how long I can run a circular saw on a battery, the 20V batteries are great.
Brushless have less friction, less heat, better performance, I did not know they still make brushed tools.
The impact driver can be single speed, and the drill can be multiple speeds. You may need to make holes through soft material that need slower speeds, where you can pay attention. Always remember power tools only help you make the same mistakes, but much faster. Multiple speeds make it more versatile.
Thanks a great reply from you. I clearly understand now. In fact I wanted a multi use system like the B&D matrix which is multiple things rolled in one. And is also 20 V system. And will give wings to my current DIY needs and beyond. What do you think on that one. I did not see the complete kit or the accessories listed online.

For most of my jobs at my workbench and in home I have power plug so use my trusty old Bosch drill, Dremel, angle grinder and Chinese multi speed mini drill. So was looking at inexpensive tool that would do with occasional use like - drilling few holes or loosening bolts or buffing the glass.

The Makita came cheap as it was brushed (in India few old technologies still exist). But 2 times old stock and 3rd time the TD111 brushless was canceled due to lockdown.

So now placed and order for the DEWALT DCF801D2-QW - XTREME 12V Li-ion Sub-Compact Series Cordless 1/4" Impact Driver with Brushless Motor-2x 2Ah Batteries Included

This is brushless has 2 Ah battery and comes with 3 speeds. Bust as you mentioned it's 12V and in future I may outgrow the needs.

I still have the option to cancel this and buy another. I think the B&D Matrix makes a lot of sense at the price and versatility.
Old 17th May 2021, 12:51   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB08121980 View Post
Here are my Power tools , till date .

2. Jigsaw : Again according to the sticker the brand is of Zogo, Model 1604L . Has 6 speeds and consumes 710 watts of electricity and can saw/cut upto 70 mm of wood . Has a option of Smooth Cut to Oscillation Cut ( three stages ; makes the blade oscillate when cutting) Smooth Cut results in a slow but neat cut and Oscillation Cut results in fast but rough cut . Can be also used to make 30 & 45 degree bevel cuts . If you are into wood working , this is an almost indispensible tool to have . Blades used are Bosch made, T119 BO for making fine cuts , T101D for clean cuts & T111C general purpose .

Hello Friend, if we need to cut plywood is this jigsaw the right tool or is the trim saw the right one. I am looking forward to doing my own workbench and storage system.
Old 17th May 2021, 13:24   #2481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So now placed and order for the DEWALT DCF801D2-QW - XTREME 12V Li-ion Sub-Compact Series Cordless 1/4" Impact Driver with Brushless Motor-2x 2Ah Batteries Included

This is brushless has 2 Ah battery and comes with 3 speeds. Bust as you mentioned it's 12V and in future I may outgrow the needs.

I still have the option to cancel this and buy another. I think the B&D Matrix makes a lot of sense at the price and versatility.
In my opinion the Dewalt 1/4 impact is pretty expensive for a 12v impact.

I would suggest the Bosch impact 12v which retails at around 8k odd. It is brush type. I have the same. It suffices all the impact use cases I have had till now.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 16:59   #2482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
In my opinion the Dewalt 1/4 impact is pretty expensive for a 12v impact.

I would suggest the Bosch impact 12v which retails at around 8k odd. It is brush type. I have the same. It suffices all the impact use cases I have had till now.
The difference is being brushless, which is costly. Brushless tools are better for heavy use. I also feel that for my kind of use I will not feel noticeable difference in the brushed vs brushless.

I was looking to order the Black+Decker Multi evo tool, its good brand much cheaper and 18V technology. That is brushed motor will all the types of tools, but Amazon did not had it.

I got to know from B+D website that Toolbuy.com apart from Amazon & Flipkart is also an Authorized online seller. They have all the attachments except the zigsaw and trim saw. They have right price.

Have any one bought from them?

Last edited by manishalive : 17th May 2021 at 17:01.
Old 17th May 2021, 17:35   #2483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The difference is being brushless, which is costly. Brushless tools are better for heavy use. I also feel that for my kind of use I will not feel noticeable difference in the brushed vs brushless.
Yes, brushless are expensive. If you are a heavy user, the extra cost might work out for you. I am a pretty light user .
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 12:04   #2484
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friend, if we need to cut plywood is this jigsaw the right tool or is the trim saw the right one. I am looking forward to doing my own workbench and storage system.
Hi there,
I don't quite understand what you mean by a trim saw, but I am guessing you meant a Circular Saw .

This thing
Tools for a DIYer-bosch-cs.jpg
If that's the case, then I would say we can cut plywood or any wood with either of these saws . The thing is, Jigsaws are designed for making curved cuts and Circular Saws are meant for making straight cuts . Yes, you can make straight cuts with a Jigsaw too, if you take the help of a guide or have a very steady hand . But a Circular Saw will be faster and more convenient .

Secondly, whether be it a Jigsaw or a Circular Saw , when cutting plywood you would need to have a blade which gives you a clean cut with very less tear out . In case of a 7 1/4 inch / 184 mm Circular Saw, you would need a 60 tooth TCT ( Tungsten Carbide Teeth ) blade and in case of a jigsaw you would need a T101D Bosch blade .

Also since you mentioned that you are setting up a workbench, I think you should buy both. Actually I will be adding a 7 1/4 inch / 184 mm circular saw to my tool box soon .

Cheers !
SB08121980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 17:38   #2485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi there,
I don't quite understand what you mean by a trim saw, but I am guessing you meant a Circular Saw .

Also since you mentioned that you are setting up a workbench, I think you should buy both. Actually I will be adding a 7 1/4 inch / 184 mm circular saw to my tool box soon .

Cheers !
Thanks and yes I meant Circular saw. Got it you gave the correct explanation.

I wanted to have my work bench with storage rack done, but the guys in Bangalore quote high rates for the work even tough it is straight, parallel and rectangular plywood that they need to cut and fix.

And therefore the need. However woodwork will not be my main work.

And this brings me back to my cordless tool, after discussion here and checking online, decided to go for the Black +Decker Multitool Evo (called matrix in USA). It is 18V brushed and with interchangeable attachments.

The list of attachments include - Drill, 1/4 impact driver, sander, oscillating multi tool (these I am currently getting).

Circular saw, zig saw, router are the other 3 which I will get once the stocks arrive.

Apart from this there are 2 more attachments - hammer drill and tyre inflator both of which I do not need.

The circular saw can cut 0.8 inch of ply and would be good for occasional DIY use. The zig saw has the stroke of 0.5 inch which would be good enough for my work.
Old 23rd May 2021, 19:08   #2486
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I finally got my power tool. It is by Black+decker multievo with few attachments.

Initial observations - Import date is March 2021 (again just a sticker) but build date code is 2020- 32-52 (making it an August 2020 build) (which is better than the 2019 built makita and dewalt from Amazon).

This is a brushed motor and therefore cheaper. The drill along with the 3 attachments cost me only 14786. I got it from tool buy. As they had the other attachments and also reccomend by Black+decker.

I chose this tool because - the multi tool attachments will help me in my DIY and is 18 volt tech.

The few drawback that I see is - only 1x1.5 Ah battery with slow charger (3-5 hrs). No indication on battery. Feeble led light. Brushed motor. No adjustable speed on the prime motor.

But these drawbacks are small for my scenario.

I got the drill, impact wrench, sander, oscillating tool. Just cant wait for the balance 3 attachments (zig saw, circular saw and router) to make it complete and build my work table .

Tools for a DIYer-20210523_183204.jpg

Last edited by manishalive : 23rd May 2021 at 19:10.
manishalive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 18:33   #2487
BHPian

If you can convert your drill into an impact wrench, with an attachment, that's impressive , IMO .

Since you mention that, it's brushed motor how easily can the carbon brushes be changed when they wear out ?

Nice looking bench vice BTW .
SB08121980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 12:33   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Thanks srini1785. I wasn't asking for their formulation secrets - just things like - is this a synthetic rubber glue or is a polyurethane based glue to make my own guesses as to which glue would be the best fit for my specific purpose. I'm not sure what they gain by not disclosing the type of glue and other basic information. But I guess that's how businesses work.
Exactly I also see that Pidilite has lot of stuff and some of that is overlapping but then we do not get lot of information. Same is the case with Asian paints loctite range (but at least their customer support responds).

I need some more information on -

fevicol xpress, Fevicol Aquik, Fevicol probond, Fevicol shoe fix, Fevicol all fix.

Quote:
If you can convert your drill into an impact wrench, with an attachment, that's impressive , IMO .

Since you mention that, it's brushed motor how easily can the carbon brushes be changed when they wear out ?

Nice looking bench vice BTW .
Thanks, yes and circular saw, router etc. And that bench wise is off amazon and steel (not cast). The rod that you see on right is drill press by KPT (re machined by me to have no radial play). My plan is to build a bench top lathe / milling machine. But that is a long work in process. First would be the workbench and for that the Black+Decker will come in handy.

For the brushes, you would have to dismantle the outer cover. On the dremel these can be changed by unscrewing small caps.
Old 29th May 2021, 12:46   #2489
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly I also see that Pidilite has lot of stuff and some of that is overlapping but then we do not get lot of information. Same is the case with Asian paints loctite range (but at least their customer support responds).

I need some more information on -

fevicol xpress, Fevicol Aquik, Fevicol probond, Fevicol shoe fix, Fevicol all fix.
I recently tried contacting their competitor - Anabond, with equally disappointing results. So, I finally found the TBHP member who seems to be a chemical engineer @Thermodynamics and hopefully he can provide us with better info and I've tried dragging him into this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post

Sometimes I feel it is better to stay with old fashioned way of hanging jasmine flower mala on to the RVM.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 08:11   #2490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
hopefully he can provide us with better info and I've tried dragging him into this thread
I'm sorry buddy, Adhesives are not my forte. It is a big world with hundreds of polymers that crosslink and thousands of formulations. For your convenience I checked pidilite products (link).

Attaching a few product brochures from its vendors.

pidilite1.pdf

Pidilite2.pdf

Hope that helps.

And thanks for dragging me in. Pretty interesting stuff, never knew such a thread existed.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 30th May 2021 at 08:21. Reason: Attachments
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed