Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2021, 11:24   #2431
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

I just found a good toolkit from Taparia that contains all the basic tools for two wheeler maintenance. It also includes a plastic toolbox.
Tools for a DIYer-img_20210405_112040.jpg

On Moglix, the price is 5480.
https://www.moglix.com/taparia-two-w...msn2vzbawq3y39

The seller on Amazon is overcharging. I recommend checking with a local tools dealer.
Old 5th April 2021, 12:04   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Soak in WD40...
I don't know if you consider glues as tools, but I've fixed so many things with just sticky tape and twist ties(not even Duct tape "3M automotive cloth tape" )... ��

I'm looking for local alternatives to the glues mentioned on DIY sites and YouTube videos.
1. Shoe Goo - Pidilite Shoefix? Is this the same formula?
2. Contact cement?
3. JB Weld
4. ...

I've even written to Pidilite many times, asking them to identify their glues by ingredient, but have never received a response. The worst part is that they don't even state why one glue should be used over another.

I'm hoping our TBHP members (unable to recall the handles of people who said they worked in the chemical industry) can help create a handy substitution guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-screenshot_20210405115942.jpg  

Old 5th April 2021, 12:11   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
I just found a good toolkit from Taparia that contains all the basic tools for two wheeler maintenance. It also includes a plastic toolbox.
This looks more like a home tool kit than for a two-wheeler. If someone has no tools at all, this might be a good start but otherwise, I don't see any point in getting this. You might even save money if you buy the stuff individually and leave out the stuff you don't need.
Old 5th April 2021, 12:29   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I've even written to Pidilite many times, asking them to identify their glues by ingredient, but have never received a response. The worst part is that they don't even state why one glue should be used over another.
You are not going to get any replies from Pidilite if you ask them their trade secrets. That's what makes them their moolah.

One thread that can help : https://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=728

They have some detailed discussions on the topic that you are interested in.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:41   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
You are not going to get any replies from Pidilite if you ask them their trade secrets. That's what makes them their moolah.

One thread that can help : https://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=728

They have some detailed discussions on the topic that you are interested in.
Thanks srini1785. I wasn't asking for their formulation secrets - just things like - is this a synthetic rubber glue or is a polyurethane based glue to make my own guesses as to which glue would be the best fit for my specific purpose. I'm not sure what they gain by not disclosing the type of glue and other basic information. But I guess that's how businesses work.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:26   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
This looks more like a home tool kit than for a two-wheeler. If someone has no tools at all, this might be a good start but otherwise, I don't see any point in getting this. You might even save money if you buy the stuff individually and leave out the stuff you don't need.
I have all the tools in that kit, except the pump pliers and soft faced hammer. I am planning on buying them to add to my tool collection. I have used every single one of those tools while working on my bike. Also, I have bought all those tools as and when they were required. Now that I have all those tools, I realise how much time, money and effort could have been saved had I bought a good quality kit like this Taparia once.

I have spent (or wasted) plenty of time going to hardware and tool shops to look for tools. So many times, I have been offered a substitute brand that generally tends to inferior, that I have walked away annoyed.

While tool kits have been available, they were generally quite basic. This one is pretty good - the only thing missing is a 1/4" socket set with ratchet handle.

Since you, mentioned it, what makes this a home tool kit? What would you add or remove to make it better suited to its stated purpose?
Old 5th April 2021, 17:00   #2437
Distinguished - BHPian

The more Industrial suppliers will specify their glues and adhesives in mind-boggling detail. Ever tried to buy a bottle of Loktite thread locker?

Indian brand Anabond is one that you could look at.

Otherwise, it is a case of using what works for you. Rubber glues are, well, rubber, I suppose; "white" glues are PVA; "super" glues are cyanoacrylate, and called that except in the home market. Araldyte-type glues are epoxy resins. And that is as far as my glue knowledge goes!

I like to have on hand:

rubber glue, for repairing watch straps, shoes, etc.
JB-Weld, a two part epoxy.
M-Seal, epoxy putty.
Super-glue, Anabond 202. This stuff is serious; I find many domestic "super" glues somewhat lacking.
PVA glue for wood. And book-binding repairs.
And... a hot-glue machine,

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th April 2021 at 17:01.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:34   #2438

A fellow DIY-er,
I have a Santro 2004 Xing XS. I have, till date, replaced the water pump, changed the timing belt, replaced the serpentine belt. For this I used a Stanley Socket set both 1/4" and the 1/2" came in handy. I had to buy the 1/2" only for the crank bolt which was 19 mm. The repair was successful, but I did screw up in putting the crank sensor pulley backwards. My friend who is a mechanic, used a scan tool to help me fix my blunder other than that I went pretty smooth, for my first attempt at DIY.
bharathg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 19:29   #2439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have all the tools in that kit, except the pump pliers and soft faced hammer. I am planning on buying them to add to my tool collection. I have used every single one of those tools while working on my bike.

Since you, mentioned it, what makes this a home tool kit? What would you add or remove to make it better suited to its stated purpose?
Why do you need things like center punch, files, chisel, etc for working on bikes? Even a hammer should not be required under normal circumstances. Generic spark plug sockets also won't work for modern bikes I suppose. From a bike tool-kit POV, what I see mainly missing are Torx screwdrivers, tire irons, etc. And of course, a 1/4" driver set.

For example, one can put a more versatile kit like this for a lesser cost
1/4" Taparia Socket Set - Rs. 1851
Black&Decker Tool Kit - Rs. 2144
Stanley Combination Spanner Set - Rs.503
Total - Rs.4498

Last edited by Jaguar : 5th April 2021 at 19:30.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 22:33   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why do you need things like center punch, files, chisel, etc for working on bikes? Even a hammer should not be required under normal circumstances. Generic spark plug sockets also won't work for modern bikes I suppose. From a bike tool-kit POV, what I see mainly missing are Torx screwdrivers, tire irons, etc. And of course, a 1/4" driver set.

For example, one can put a more versatile kit like this for a lesser cost
1/4" Taparia Socket Set - Rs. 1851
Black&Decker Tool Kit - Rs. 2144
Stanley Combination Spanner Set - Rs.503
Total - Rs.4498
Practical experience will tell you that a hammer can be indispensable in many situations where spanners alone can't do the job. Case in point: removing or replacing the axle bolt of a bike wheel. Even under "normal" circumstances it rarely slides in or out as easily as it is meant to. A soft faced hammer is the perfect tool to get the thing to move without damaging anything else.

Repair and maintenance of machinery often requires creative thinking, and tools like a centre punch and hammer could be very useful. It just depends on the situation and the person on what tools would best solve the problem.
Old 6th April 2021, 18:45   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Practical experience will tell you that a hammer can be indispensable in many situations where spanners alone can't do the job.
Repair and maintenance of machinery often requires creative thinking, and tools like a centre punch and hammer could be very useful. It just depends on the situation and the person on what tools would best solve the problem.
A hammer is a necessary tool but if you have to pull out one regularly when working on bikes, there is something wrong with the approach. There are far more valuable tools like the 1/4" driver which is almost mandatory when working on bikes, rather than a chisel or center punch. That is why I said this is not a two-wheeler-specific toolkit.
What you term as creative thinking, I call jugaad. It is required when you are stranded in the middle of the road (where this toolkit is not practical) or working on some weird issue (for which you can always take the help of a mechanic). For regular maintenance of a bike, there are better options.
Old 6th April 2021, 19:50   #2442
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgraded to my first, and one of the best DA Polishers, Rupes LHR M3

Tools for a DIYer-20210405_152322.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20210405_152358.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20210405_152404.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20210405_152409.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20210405_152413.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20210405_152418.jpg

My first polisher was a Rs. 900 Coido, which used to run off a cigarette lighter. I had purchased this sometime in high school but never used it as it was horrible and gave it to a friend. This was a lesson for me, not to look for cheap things and expect them to work. The best, or Nothing has been my mantra ever since for most things

Tools for a DIYer-41uzmkynrl._ac_ss450_.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 14:53   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a portable drill machine for home usage. Main purpose will be drilling holes in wall or wood at times for hanging stuff.

I see a few options in Amazon priced at around 1000-1200 like this.

Cheston

Khadija

Are these good enough for rare usage? It's like 3-4 times a year we need to drill a few holes in wall and at times in wood.

TIA

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th April 2021 at 17:18. Reason: edited
Old 26th April 2021, 10:38   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Looking for a portable drill machine for home usage. Main purpose will be drilling holes in wall or wood at times for hanging stuff.

TIA
The ones you showed may not last long. You should look at better quality products even when you use them on a rare occasion. Tools should be reliable and generally last a life time. So invest in brands like Dewalt, Bosch or Black & Decker. Buy a drill machine with at least 13 mm chuck and rated at 600 W for working in masonry. Whilst at it buy a reversible, variable speed type. I have a Makita 900 W which survived lots of abuse for well over 15 years. I have a Black & Decker which is over 23 years old. Tools should out live the owners in general.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 11:54   #2445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

I see a few options in Amazon priced at around 1000-1200 like this.

Cheston

Khadija

Are these good enough for rare usage? It's like 3-4 times a year we need to drill a few holes in wall and at times in wood.

TIA
For low usage it is better to buy a corded drill with a long extension cord(if needed)

Batteries in cordless drill do not last for ever and with low usage replacing them every three years or so is not worth it. Further corded drills last a life time. I have a Wolf 13mm drill bought in 1973 or so which is still going strong. In the mean time I have acquired a few more with 10mm chuck as they are lighter, but for heavy duty work nothing beats 13mm one.

You will need different types of drill bits
1. Masonry drills for drilling in brick and plaster walls.
https://www.amazon.in/Makita-D-41791...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

2. Wood working drills for wood
https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-5pcs-Woo.../dp/B0012UQKD8

3. HSS bits for steel
https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-Metal-Dr.../dp/B07HJHW8G9

3. Diamond coated bits for drilling in stone
https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Diamon...71HGPW74&psc=1

For drilling large diameter holes in plywood and boards a "Hole Saw" is what does the trick
https://www.amazon.in/DeoDap-Carbon-...9417874&sr=8-4
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks