Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 03:55   #2416
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lugs nuts loosening

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
I was looking for a extension bar ...
People usually use a piece of steel pipe. It leads to a lot of over-tightening!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:26   #2417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
People usually use a piece of steel pipe. It leads to a lot of over-tightening!
Yes a pipe is the best solution.

A word of caution, the extra leverage can easily strip the threads so be careful while tightening. When opening you may strip the edges of a bihex socket, so use a hex socket where extra torque is required.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:40   #2418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Yes a pipe is the best solution.

A word of caution, the extra leverage can easily strip the threads so be careful while tightening. When opening you may strip the edges of a bihex socket, so use a hex socket where extra torque is required.
Thanks . I will only use extension pipe for loosening . For tightening will use a torque wrench . But can’t prevent over tightening in workshops when it’s out of my sight . Is such an extension pipe available in Amazon or somewhere or I need to pick up some from local hardware store ?

Last edited by brownianmotion : 22nd March 2021 at 11:40. Reason: Incomplete
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:07   #2419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for a extension bar to a L spanner or a extendible L spanner which will give sufficient leverage to loosen lug nuts easily . Ratchets are not good enough because of their short length. L spanner are ok - but needs effort . A extension bar would help to easily loosen lug nuts. Can anyone please suggest where I can get that as I am not finding any ?
Have one of these are they are super handy.

https://www.amazon.in/TSTOP-23768-55...s%2C310&sr=8-3

Comes with a couple of socket sizes in 1/2 inch drive. If the size does not match your lug nut size, just order a stanley socket of the required size in 1/2 inch drive.
I have one permanently in the boot of the car

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 22nd March 2021 at 12:08.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:14   #2420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks . I will only use extension pipe for loosening . For tightening will use a torque wrench . But can’t prevent over tightening in workshops when it’s out of my sight . Is such an extension pipe available in Amazon or somewhere or I need to pick up some from local hardware store ?
Go to any plumbing store locally and get a 2 foot metal pipe.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 13:01   #2421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am looking for a stubby screw driver with hex bit socket at the end so that I can use the type of bit I need depending on the fastener. Currently I can see only Taparia with PH2 head and flat head in the stubby format. The ones which are available are outrageously priced. Any pointers from fellow DIYers?

How much I miss aliexpress for such small but nifty stuff!
I recently bought this:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07T46RR22?...p_mob_ap_share

Works great for routine jobs, has a good selection of bits, and can be used as a manual one in a pinch (batteries run out or need extra torque).

Used it to take out and fit a door latch, a total of ten to twelve screws.

Used it to loosen and tighten two hose clamps in the morning.

Quote:
I was looking for a extension bar to a L spanner or a extendible L spanner which will give sufficient leverage to loosen lug nuts easily . Ratchets are not good enough because of their short length. L spanner are ok - but needs effort . A extension bar would help to easily loosen lug nuts. Can anyone please suggest where I can get that as I am not finding any ?
Useful suggestions have already been offered by the others, but let me just share my brief experience with a Taparia ratchet wrench: I had bought it with a socket to fit the lug nuts specifically to get rid of this problem.

I could literally stand on the wrench to loosen those supertight nuts. Have successfully done it without damage to the socket, wrench, nut or me.

If you do want to try, you can go for the cross / x shaped wrench. You should get it at any decent car parts shop.

Last edited by honeybee : 28th March 2021 at 13:12.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 13:21   #2422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I recently bought this:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07T46RR22?...p_mob_ap_share

Works great for routine jobs, has a good selection of bits, and can be used as a manual one in a pinch (batteries run out or need extra torque).
I have one too, but it is not very convenient if you use it occasionally. I use rechargeable batteries. Since there are four of them (in series, I'm sure), I have to remove them from the battery compartment and then remove each AA cell from the battery holder, so that they don't end up getting destroyed in storage.
A single lithium cell would have been easier to disconnect. Even placing the power switch to the off position would have been sufficient.
Old 30th March 2021, 19:13   #2423
BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! I would love to buy one or two Knipex tools. Can you make the source public, or share it with me? please
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Sure man http://www.krishanbrothers.com They have a small office in Ajmeri Gate. You can contact him via email and ask for the pricing of whatever you want. If they don't have it in stock, they add the product you are looking for, to their next order.
Contacted Krishan Brothers over phone / WhatsApp and email. The person over the phone responded in a very curt tone saying that a response over WhatsApp is not possible however queries can very well be answered over an email. But I am yet to receive a response as of typing this post.

Anyways, Good news gentlemen, there is some heavy discount on knipex items, Knipex Discount Flyer.pdf, Prices are exclusive of GST (Additional @18%)

Details of the seller are given below:

M/s Goodwill Enterprises
Contact person - Mr. Murtuza
Contact number - +919845034994
Website - https://www.goodwill.in

Quote:
These nippers might have been half the current Amazon price when I first put them on my wishlist (should have bought then, haha, but even that was expensive).
This still is, I mean well almost

PS: No affiliation with any of the brands or sellers named above.
Old 30th March 2021, 19:24   #2424
Distinguished - BHPian

I have heard that the Knipex stuff are good. But the prices are eye watering even after discount. Is there any particular tool from the lineup that is exceptionally better than the likes of say, Taparia, which is worth adding to the tool kit?
Old 30th March 2021, 19:48   #2425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have heard that the Knipex stuff are good. But the prices are eye watering even after discount. Is there any particular tool from the lineup that is exceptionally better than the likes of say, Taparia, which is worth adding to the tool kit?
While I will let the gurus answer your query, please have a look at this to get an idea of where the tools from knipex excel. Coming to the query of a specific tool, their cobra series pipe wrenches are more renowned.
Old 30th March 2021, 20:08   #2426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
While I will let the gurus answer your query, please have a look at this video to get an idea of where the tools from knipex excel. Coming to the query of a specific tool, their cobra series pipe wrenches are more renowned.
Knipex? Surely nobody else says that? Surely it's a silent K?

Quote:
Anyways, Good news gentlemen, there is some heavy discount on knipex items, Attachment 2138831, Prices are exclusive of GST (Additional @18%)

M/s Goodwill Enterprises
I see their posts on instagram. Some really nice tools. Some horribly expensive, others not quite so much so.
Old 30th March 2021, 20:19   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, it was very weird.

Quote:
I see their posts on instagram. Some really nice tools. Some horribly expensive, others not quite so much so.
I got their details from instagram itself. For prices, you said it right. However, the prices of most of the articles in that pdf file shared above are way less than their international prices or at least comparable.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 20:26   #2428
BHPian

Quote:

Anyways, Good news gentlemen, there is some heavy discount on knipex items, Attachment 2138831, Prices are exclusive of GST (Additional @18%)

M/s Goodwill Enterprises
Prices seem to have increased a lot for some of the items, but it has been 4 years since my order so maybe it's understandable.
My experience with Krishan Brothers was great because at first I visited their shop. Buyer like us are not even in the vicinity of their regular buyers and maybe that's why the bad response you got. Anyhow, it's great that there is an alternate source as well.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 20:13   #2429
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, it was very weird.
Well, apparently it is actually pronounced as "Kuh-Nip-X"
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 23:09   #2430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, apparently it is actually pronounced as "Kuh-Nip-X"

Well, I never! And probably won't. But at least I'll know that I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks