Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2021, 22:54   #2401
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Didn't know about this thread, I would've asked otherwise.

I plan to add some footwell lights, I'm using some cheap LED strips. And because they're so cheap I'm more than prepared that they will fail. So I decided to buy some clips so I wouldn't have to cut wires when I replace the strips.

What does the council of DIYers think of these clips? Link
Attached Images

viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 23:10   #2402
Distinguished - BHPian

They look very flimsy to me. 4 rupee a piece? Is that worth the risk?
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 05:12   #2403
BHPian

I have started working on my cars in the last seven years.

Over these seven years, I have picked up quite a few tools that I find immensely useful.

Some of these are featured here:

Tools for a DIYer-img_e2161.jpg

60 Piece Torx set (1/4" & 3/8")

Tools for a DIYer-img_e2163.jpg

1/4" Drive socket set

Tools for a DIYer-img_e2164.jpg

3/8", 1/2" Rachet & 1/2" breaker bar along with my pick toolset

Tools for a DIYer-img_e2166.jpg

1/2" thin-walled rubber-lined deep sockets & torx set

Tools for a DIYer-img_e2169.jpg

1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" Torque wrench

Tools for a DIYer-img_e2170.jpg

SAE & Metric wrench set

Tools for a DIYer-img_2168.jpg

1/2" drive short & long deep impact socket set

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 8th March 2021 at 05:13.
Vikram Arya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 09:06   #2404
Senior - BHPian

What I admire the most is you have still got them all pieces. I don't know if you never use them, like me, or have never misplaced any, unlike me.

I have a whole Stanley sockets set with various bits, and I have used about ten of them, including the ratchet handle, the screw driver handle and the extension bar. I think I have all the pieces.

The ratchet handle with 14mm socket had been missing, which I found yesterday.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 10:00   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
What I admire the most is you have still got them all pieces. I don't know if you never use them, like me, or have never misplaced any, unlike me.

I have a whole Stanley sockets set with various bits, and I have used about ten of them, including the ratchet handle, the screw driver handle and the extension bar. I think I have all the pieces.

The ratchet handle with 14mm socket had been missing, which I found yesterday.
Hello,

Thank you for your note.

I'm as much prone to misplacing a drill bit or a socket as anyone else. I just make sure that I always place all the bits/sockets back into the box that they were supposed to go into once the job is complete. When I got this house built seven years ago I also built some storage in the garage myself and half of this shelving is dedicated to my tools/other car-related stuff.

And yes I use all of these tools on a regular basis. I change the engine oil of all of my cars and also carry out minor modifications & other miscellaneous work/upgradation. I have three sets of winter tires on wheels that I have to change twice a year. In addition, I also polish my cars at least twice a year (that will be a separate post sometimes in the future when I indulge).

Here's me putting together the shelving

Tools for a DIYer-img_2276.jpg
Vikram Arya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 10:30   #2406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post

What does the council of DIYers think of these clips? Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have used something similar which came with copper connectors and steel springs. The steel spring gets corroded over a period of time and then you can't pull them apart. The idea is to use them for temporary jobs. For old timers, we may still use wire splicing and tapes/heat shrink sleeves.
Old 8th March 2021, 17:37   #2407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
What does the council of DIYers think of these clips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
This armchair DIYer thinks that twisting and taping would be better. Joints on car wiring have a harder life than house wiring, having to stand a lot of vibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I have picked up quite a few tools that I find immensely useful.
That's a super collection. And a great pic of you building those very nice shelves.

My whole house doesn't have that much storage space !
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 22:29   #2408
BHPian

Took a formica sheet , fixed a frame at the rear for support and put a simple "All in 1 place" hang on rack for the basic tools.

Just used simple screws based on the position, so that the tools just slot in place.
Tools for a DIYer-diyrack.jpeg
Fillmore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 03:46   #2409
Senior - BHPian

Interesting idea there, Fillmore. Love it.

I have moved to a rented place away from the city. It's a row house, actually. And finally had a chance to put some tools to good use.

Major DIY done so far includes fitting LED tubelights (the drill and a recently bought aluminium ladder were extremely helpful here), replacing a garden tap and a kitchen sink tap, adding a 30 m rubber hose to the garden tap with a brass spray gun at the other end secured at both ends with hose clips, fitting a swivelling water jet dispenser to the kitchen sink faucet, filling white cement in the gap between the iron railing and the cement posts of the compound.

Am going to experiment with a bit of grey cement tomorrow.

Oh, and DIY fixing of our bed, which turns out to be made of MDF - bad choice of material for a 100 kg sleeper with a daughter that likes to hop onto the bed and use the dunlop mattress as a springboard.
Old 13th March 2021, 12:45   #2410
BHPian

Quote:

Oh, and DIY fixing of our bed, which turns out to be made of MDF - bad choice of material for a 100 kg sleeper with a daughter that likes to hop onto the bed and use the dunlop mattress as a springboard.
MDF is not a bad material if it is supported enough with the frame. In fact many woodworkers make their work table with MDF, which sees enough pounding and abuse. If you feel the need, just add more support in the frame.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 13th March 2021 at 12:46.
Old 13th March 2021, 15:18   #2411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
MDF is not a bad material if it is supported enough with the frame. In fact many woodworkers make their work table with MDF, which sees enough pounding and abuse. If you feel the need, just add more support in the frame.
Well, a 6 feet long strip of MDF that has an inch of flex isn't exactly a good support for the bed, I think.
Old 13th March 2021, 15:23   #2412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rejoice that it is not chipboard, which will be found in many out-of-site furniture places: much less strength and no resistance to water.

MDF is good strong stuff. As rdst_1 has said, add some more support if it makes you feel more secure. I don't know about any formal warnings about safety when cutting or drilling it, but I'd wear a mask to avoid inhaling the dust. This also is not a criticism of the material: there are very natural woods whose dust is very injurious to inhale.
Old 13th March 2021, 16:56   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
Well, a 6 feet long strip of MDF that has an inch of flex isn't exactly a good support for the bed, I think.
I don't understand. Have they made the frame out of MDF? I thought they used MDF instead of Ply Board on top of the wooden frame, like usually a bed is made.
Old 20th March 2021, 21:52   #2414
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking for a stubby screw driver with hex bit socket at the end so that I can use the type of bit I need depending on the fastener. Currently I can see only Taparia with PH2 head and flat head in the stubby format. The ones which are available are outrageously priced. Any pointers from fellow DIYers?

How much I miss aliexpress for such small but nifty stuff!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 00:10   #2415
BHPian

Lugs nuts loosening

I was looking for a extension bar to a L spanner or a extendible L spanner which will give sufficient leverage to loosen lug nuts easily . Ratchets are not good enough because of their short length. L spanner are ok - but needs effort . A extension bar would help to easily loosen lug nuts. Can anyone please suggest where I can get that as I am not finding any ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks