Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2024, 19:54   #1

DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)

Adding roof light for the rear passengers on my Kwid

I've always wanted a cabin light for the rear passengers like in the Triber for our Alto and Kwid as well. Found some rechargeable options from Amazon but I wasn't satisfied with those. I needed something which would blend in with the interiors and function like it came from the factory.

And the search began, I stumbled upon the roof light of Alto k10 3rd gen from a suggestion over reddit. I headed straight for the suzuki dealer and bought it for ₹190.
DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)-20240827_193509.jpg

As for the wires required, you'll need 3 wires of different colours to distinguish between the connections. I opted for 1.5sq mm wires and these would have to face a lot of heat(being installed one the roof)
DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)-20240824_172105.jpg

You'll need to find a connector for the lamo from suzuki, if they don't have it go to any local mechanic who does electrical work for cars and use 3 clips for the three connectors coming out of the lamp.
DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)-20240824_162902.jpg

Your next step would be to cut out exact dimensions from the roof liner. The Kwid's roof liner is quite thick compared to suzuki counterparts and you'll have a hard time cutting into in. So get a pencil to mark the outlines, and start cutting few milimeters smaller than the drawn outline. There's no room for error so it's better to cut it a little smaller and then enlarge it according to the need

DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)-20240824_161831.jpg

Now tape the 3 pieces of wired together and make your harness for the new lamp
The next step would be to get the wires from your new cutout to the original dome light. I used a metal cloth hanger, unbent it, stuck one end of the harness to it and inserted through the roof liner.
Pull it out from the other end and take our the hanger leaving the wire in its place.

DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)-20240824_181110.jpg
Now attach the positive, ground and door wires from the lamp to tour harness and connect the same wires from your original lamp in a series connection. A series connection here helps both of the lamps to function independently.

To fix the wires on the original lamp, open its connector, the take out the wires, and put both wires in the same clip before sliding the clip back in its place.

DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)-20240824_182314.jpg

DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)-20240824_170016.jpg

Tape all the wires with good quality automotive tapes and fix the lamps in their respective position.
You've now enhanced the interior look of your Kwid

DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)-20240824_194414.jpg
DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)-20240824_202007.jpg
DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)-20240826_203709.jpg

If you feel like warm interiors are not your type feel free to change the bulbs with appropriate LED ones.
Arkapravoarka is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 21:00   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: DIY: Adding a Rear Cabin Dome Light (Renault Kwid)

Fellow DIYer, you have my thumbs up. Good mod, and thank heavens for Maruti, as they happily provide all bits and bobs over the counter.
Something that has been handy for the various DIY upgrades on my Tata Tiago!
lemedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 21:04   #3
BHPian

Great DIY job. These small jobs enhances the interior.

And I am sure you connected the two lamps in parallel and not in series. Otherwise both won't glow.
Old 30th August 2024, 04:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Great DIY job. These small jobs enhances the interior.

And I am sure you connected the two lamps in parallel and not in series. Otherwise both won't glow.
Sorry, yes I connected them in parallel. I wrote that wrong. The lights work independently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks