Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2024, 00:26   #1

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs

"Upgraded to LED lights and the difference is incredible! The intensity is so much better than the old halogen and it really enhances the overall look of the module."

Hey everyone,

So, I was feeling the urge to upgrade the halogen bulbs in my Santro Xing and Scorpio-N, and I decided to tackle both vehicles at the same time. I ordered some LED bulbs from LED Beam, and also got a reverse brake light switch for the Santro Xing from Boodmo.
DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240624_162145-1.jpg

RED LED FOR SANTRO

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240624_214252.jpg

WHITE LED FOR SCORPIO

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240624_214300.jpg
The items I ordered were:
1) 1 1156 LED bulb with built-in heat dissipation for my Scorpio-N
2) 2 1157 red LED bulbs for the Santro Xing
3) Reverse brake light switch for the Santro Xing

The tools required for the job were just a screwdriver, a 14mm open spanner wrench, and of course, some of your time. Oh, and a yoga mat or something to sit on while working on the cars.
DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240624_213944.jpg

I started with the Santro Xing, thinking it would take some time, but it turned out to be quite straightforward. It was just a matter of unscrewing and screwing in the new bulbs, and popping out the light unit. It hardly took me ten minutes on one side to get the job done. Since my brake light switch wasn't working, I decided to change that as well. It was as simple as unscrewing the old switch and popping in the new one with the help of a 14mm spanner. I always enjoy working on my Santro because it's so DIY friendly and just works all the time. It's not always the case with modern cars, as I'll explain during the work on the Scorpio-N.
DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_133528.jpg

HALOGEN STEUP

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_133640.jpg

LED SETUP

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_133832.jpg

WORKING LEDs

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_133904-1.jpg

BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH SEAN

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_140353-1.jpg

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_140334-1.jpg

Now, coming to the Scorpio-N, you didn't need any special tools to change the bulbs, but it took me 30 minutes to do one side. Why? Because it's so hard and congested there. There's literally no space to put your hand in, and guess what? You have to wear a working glove because it's like sharp sheared metal and plastic, especially on the edges. Also, there's not enough length of wire to take the socket out for bulb replacement, so you have to put both hands inside. I even had to crawl under the vehicle to get enough leverage. I mean, why does it have to become harder and harder to work on new vehicles? On the other hand, my 14-year-old Santro is a bliss to work on.

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240624_213708-1.jpg

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_135456-1.jpg

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_140052-1.jpg

After struggling for nearly 45 minutes, I managed to change the bulbs on both vehicles. The difference is very noticeable, especially in the case of the Scorpio-N at night. Thanks to the LEDs, it's so much easier to see in the dark with my reverse parking camera. The throw is excellent, and it illuminates a large space behind the vehicle. As for the Santro, the intensity of light has improved, and it looks lovely when I hit the brake.

SANTRO:-

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_204856.jpg

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_204937.jpg

SCORPIO:-

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_204806.jpg

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img_20240625_204830.jpg

I'm glad I took on this project and I'm very happy with the outcome. That's it for this post. See you in the next one! Till next time, happy driving!
alphrex is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs

Nice job on the upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphrex View Post
As for the Santro, the intensity of light has improved, and it looks lovely when I hit the brake.
One thing you have to be careful about when using after-market lights, especially 'cheap' LEDs is that they might not meet specification.

This means that the brake lights can be blindingly bright for the motorists behind you, and this can be unsafe, frustrating or painful in situations like rain or stuck in traffic.

In fact, we have a 4-page thread on it (that too, for OEM tail-lights): Complaint! The LED tail-lights of some Indian cars are way too bright
Rehaan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 11:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree that reverse lights should be at least as much bright that the reverse camera picks up some useful feed for the driver. Though the primary purpose of the same remains to alert the people around that the car is reversing but the white light in dark is helpful for driver as well.

Rear lights- Please make sure they aren't blinding or too bright for others. You would yourself hate trailing a car with exceptionally bright brake & tail lamps.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 14:33   #4
BHPian

Did the same with my Scorpio N and the reversing lights are impressive now. They only work when reversing, which is a boon for both the driver of the Scorpio N and the general public. The Scorpio N is a massive car and one really must see that it's backing up.

DIY: Upgrading Reverse & Brake halogen bulbs to LEDs-img20230714wa0018.jpg

I got my set from Karol Bagh for some 500 rupees a pair.
They've lasted a year.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 14:55. Reason: Please type the car name in full, as per the Team-BHP rules. This helps others understand + searchability.
wooka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 17:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

WHITE LED FOR SCORPIO

Attachment 2620807
From the photo it appears like the Scorpio LED light is having light scatter. Did you check if the alignment is inline with the reflectors?
If not, please check and re-align, that will reduce the scatter and will be more efficient.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 20:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
One thing you have to be careful about when using after-market lights, especially 'cheap' LEDs is that they might not meet [/url]
I installed aftermarket taillight LEDs on my Figo, they seemed so good in the day, bright & highly visible. Few days after installation, I was following the Figo (being driven by my brother) at night and it was too bright. Reverted to the stock halogen bulbs (which were sufficiently visible at all times) the next day.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 20:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

I've used the tail light bulbs in a friend's scooter and they didn't seem too bright to me. I'm using Autobahn led and they are also not excessively bright.
However i drew the line at the Autobahn 24w indicator bulbs. They were too bright.
Also annoying are those led brake lights that strobe by design, or because of a faulty brake switch or someone resting their foot on the brake.
Old 26th June 2024, 22:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nice job on the upgrade!
This means that the brake lights can be blindingly bright for the motorists behind you, and this can be unsafe, frustrating or painful in situations like rain or stuck in traffic.

In fact, we have a 4-page thread on it (that too, for OEM tail-lights): Complaint! The LED tail-lights of some Indian cars are way too bright
Thank you for sharing your insights on the post. I can assure you that the images I posted do not accurately represent the intensity of the light, and it does not cause irritation to others behind the car. I also discussed this with the seller, and while I initially wanted a brighter pair (of course), but they explained the same concerns you mentioned. They also mentioned something about the LUX, which is around 160, and assured me that it is suitable for others on the road. However, I must admit that I am not very knowledgeable about the technical aspects of this. Additionally, I don't consider ₹1500 for a pair to be cheap for some small LEDs. Thank you for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
From the photo, it appears like the Scorpio LED light is having light scatter. Did you check if the alignment is in line with the reflectors?
If not, please check and re-align; that will reduce the scatter and make it more efficient.
It's possible that the light scatter in the photo is due to a camera issue, as my photography skills are not the best. I also suspect that there may have been something on my phone's camera lens. However, I did try to re-align the LED light with the reflectors after reading your suggestion. If you have any guidance on how to properly re-align the reflectors, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your input!

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th June 2024 at 22:35. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks!
alphrex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 10:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I did try to re-align the LED light with the reflectors after reading your suggestion. If you have any guidance on how to properly re-align the reflectors, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your input!
I think the instruction would be there in the manual that came with the box.
For Osram LED's, the instruction to align was included and the difference before and after alignment was very evident.

Here is a video that might help with the process. Each manufacturer might have different ways to adjust though, but since this video covers multiple types, I hope yours is one amongst these types. Else please recheck the instruction manual.
(The Osram is the first type mentioned in the video - one with the allen key adjustment)

sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 20:42   #10

you Are A Life Saver

Last edited by manson : 27th June 2024 at 20:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks