Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2024, 13:55   #1
BHPian

DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me

Hello Everyone,

Happy to create another post which I feel is a vast one covering multiple topics, As I had given a glimpse previously about the potential modifications that I will do with the Ford Ecosport >2017 model, here are the details of how they are integrated, the parts associated and how it performs in the real world.

It's very important to note that it's a fully functional and advanced level of modification and it all uses Ford genuine parts which use stock software configuration values specifically to Ecosport parameters, whichever is available.

You see ADAS features are still not available in many sub-4 m or mid segment or even some higher segment vehicles. Even the number of parking sensors is being reduced to cut costs by OEMs. Features such as Lane keep assist and ACC never existed in the Ecosport. So I carried them over from the Fiesta/Puma and correctly configured them for my Ecosport to make them properly functional.

I had to go through a very hectic shipment and customer process while importing the required parts. In some cases, I had to bring more than one part to study the compatibility. Also, some parts are heavy and big which makes the shipping process itself challenging and again clearing customs also became a challenge. The main issue during shipment was the damage. It happened many times and I had to either fix it or go for a replacement.

My vehicle:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-car-1.jpg

DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-look.jpg

Digital dashboard:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-d.jpg

So, here is the list of features that I have successfully integrated into the Ford Ecosport Facelift model
1. ADAS
2. Blind Spot system
3. 12-channel parking sensors
4. B&O audio system
5. Storm grille
6. Export model rear bumper
7. Type-C USB hub
8. Direct charger in place of cigar charger

Old modifications
9. Full digital cluster
10. Flat-bottom steering wheel from focus and more

Overall parts:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-all-parts.jpg

1. ADAS

Basically, the Ecosport has ADAS, but I think it is only limited to emergency braking. It uses the bracket from the Puma and Fiesta. So, I decided to equip it with fully functional ADAS as the other vehicles have it. The below features are covered as of now.
1. Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB), Forward Collision Warning
2. Adaptive Cruise control (ACC)
3. Lane Keep Assist (LKA), Lane Departure Warning(LDW), and Lane Centering*
4. Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR)
5. Automatic High Beam (AHB)

Parts required to be changed or added

1. Front camera, front camera bracket, windshield masking:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-front-camera.jpg[ATTACH=fitted

DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-covered-camera.jpg

Masked windshield:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-masked-winds.jpg

Windshield primer masking with urethane adhesive and repositioned rain sensor:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-20231209_173602.jpg

2. Front-facing Radar and Bracket - This is how the front radar is fitted inside the grille. It's aligned using a digital level meter and calibrated with the help of software tools:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-fitted-radar.jpg

3. ABS Module:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-abs.jpg

The abovementioned parts are predominantly required to achieve Emergency Braking and Adaptive Cruise Control. As in the above pic, the native ABS module is not compatible, so I switched to the platform siblings' - Fiesta / Puma ABS module with the correct vehicle profile configured for the Ecosport. It worked absolutely fine for features such as ABS and Hill Assist and braking. The brake bleeding was done and all Yaw rate sensor was calibrated.

Steering column replacement
The native Ecosport Steering column does not support the lane keep assist and auto park features and generally the steering columns across Ford vehicle are similar and software configurable. Only in the Ecosport is the mount specifically made. Otherwise, it can support the complete steering system of Ecosport. Another important thing is to program the steering lock. It requires Ford's tool to program it. So, I had to purchase and program it.

The main challenge was to make the steering mount. I studied different columns and with the right level of modifications, maximum reuse and testing I would be able to fit the latest Focus steering column which had LKA, LCS, Auto park and Haptic feedback capabilities. Below are some pictures.

Testing the column for compatibility:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-changing-steering.jpg

DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-testing-steering.jpg

After installing:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-after-steering-column-fixed.jpg

Me making the mount:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-me-making-bracket.jpg

Above all, it requires all the software, hardware calibration configurations for India and parameter settings to match the correct vehicle profile. I drove 4,000+ km across different conditions to test the fit.

Some more pics - AEB distance warning:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-aed-distance.jpg

2. Blind Spot system
Features added
1. Lane Change Assist
2. Cross Traffic Alert
Blind spot system is basically a carryover from the export models. So the parts are already available for this vehicle. My job was to integrate them into the vehicle. The challenge was the bumper. As the Indian version does not have enough space to accommodate the rear corner radars, I had to modify the bumpers to complete the fit. Later, I got a chance to import the exact bumper used in the export version.

The complexity did not end there because the brackets mounting the bumper and side fender lip are different as the bumper has more depth. I also imported those parts and competed the proper fit. Additionally, I required the BLIS mirrors and the wiring plus the software configurations for the vehicle specific to Indian market. Check out some pics below:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-blis-mirror.jpg

DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-blis-both.jpg

DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-blis-light-b0.jpg

This video from Ford explains BLIS and Cross Traffic Alert:

3. 12-Channel parking sensors, flank guard, and Auto park
Basically, 12-channel parking sensors uses 12 ultrasonic parking sensors - 6 in the front and 6 in the rear. The existing module doesn't support 12-channel and Auto park configurations. So it requires to be upgraded to an Auto park module and I did the same. Additionally, it requires a harness which runs from the front and rear up to the parking module.

The challenging part is to find the brackets for the parking and side sensors. The side sensors operate at different decibels, so one has to find the correct one. It requires the correct sensor positioning to avoid false signalling and echoing from other sensors. Currently, I am doing the calibration for auto parking for accurate parking.

Some pics - Parking sensor screen with flank guard:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-12-ch-parking-sensor-flank-guard.jpg

Auto park screen in Sync3:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-auto-park-screen.jpg

Front bumper with parking sensors:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-bumoper.jpg

Rear bumper with side sensor:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-20230830_101101.jpg

4. Band & Olufsen audio with Beosonic enhancement
Here's another mod related to the audio - the well-known B&O audio. In fact, this system is available in many Ford models including the Ecosport. So, I wanted to have a good but integrated stock audio system with wonderful sound quality. I never looked for an aftermarket system due to my concern related to vehicle integration and fit-and-finish. As I had work experience in Ford audio projects, I knew I could estimate how the sound quality would be. Thus, I fitted the complete system including the Beosonic enhancements. The challenge is the size of the parts and availability.

Some pics - 1. AMP position:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-amp.jpg

2. Doors speakers:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-door-speaker.jpg

3. Sub woofer position:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-sub.jpg

DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-boot-sub-1.jpg

4. B&O Screen:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-bo-eq-screen.jpg

5. Pillar tweeter:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blis light and B0.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2555660

Drive mode enhancements:
I have developed my own OBD device to enable the drive mode screens for the full digital cluster. It's a plug-and-play device which easily enables the screens. They are non-functional but work exactly like the original Ford design. Obviously, it requires the full digital cluster and the ST line steering wheel with drive mode buttons.
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-custom-made-obd.jpg

Type-C USB port replacement:
Another change is adding the Type-C USB port in place of the two Type-A ports that came as stock:
DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me-type-c.jpg

I have covered all the above enhancements on ADAS in the below video. I will share separate videos covering BLIS, parking sensors, and B&O audio reviews. Please check the below link:

I will be adding more videos and images covering the remaining enhancements. I couldn't post very low-level details as I am the only one installing everything, Thank you for reading the topics.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th January 2024 at 18:04. Reason: Grammar, spacing
jhenu is offline   (210) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 14:05   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport Gets ADAS and Drive assist features,A real technical facelift by me.

Reserved for next update
Old 8th January 2024, 15:57   #3
BHPian

re: DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me

I had noticed that you previously facelifted this car to the unreleased model but those modifications seem to be absent here. Am I missing something, are they two different cars? Kudos on these OEM retrofits. Very innovative!
Kevinrevvz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 16:55   #4
BHPian

Re: DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrevvz View Post
I had noticed that you previously facelifted this car to the unreleased model but those modifications seem to be absent here. Am I missing something, are they two different cars? Kudos on these OEM retrofits. Very innovative!
It was the same vehicle. Prior to that i had ordered the storm grill which I wanted to fit in this vehicle. It arrived very late so i recently changed it.
jhenu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 09:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: My Ford EcoSport gets ADAS and Driver Assist Features | A real technical facelift by me

It's amazing what you have been able to do with your Ecosport.

I can't imagine the effort into getting the parts, the trial and error and figuring out how to make it all work. All these parts you have sourced are used parts or brand new ?

How does the B&O system sound, especially in comparsion to the other branded systems in the Tata's & Hyundai's ?
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 10:09   #6
BHPian

While the changes and effort is really commendable both at a technical and DIY level, this is a potential safety hazard as these are not any simple add-ons, but which influence vehicle dynamics actively. From the RTO POV- are these modifications allowed, and can such a vehicle be driven on public roads?

Last edited by xotiq : 9th January 2024 at 10:10.
xotiq is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 10:10   #7
BHPian

No words to describe your skills and passion! Kudos to you.

On a side note, how much will you charge to add cruise control to my Freestyle That is just the only feature I miss during my frequent Chennai - Kanyakumari runs.
Old 9th January 2024, 10:15   #8
BHPian

Amazing mods

Is the digital odometer easily available and configurable ? If yes, please can you share the cost, thanks.

The stock speakers of the EcoSport are paper cones. I upgraded the speakers soon after taking delivery to Infinity dual cones. Kept the original tweeters. The sound has improved a lot.
Old 9th January 2024, 10:15   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is taking DIY to god mode! I can only imagine the sheer pleasure you enjoy driving the most unique ES in the country.
mally2 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 10:35   #10
BHPian

@jhenu,

Wonderful mods. The digital instrument cluster is classy.

I am interested in USB type C port installation. Can you please share more details on how to procure them and is this something can be fitted to any existing old usb other type ports?
Old 9th January 2024, 10:40   #11
RMN
BHPian

Fantastic mate. You are tempting me and possibility others to empty their pockets!

Would like to know more about the audio upgrade though. The Indian EcoSport has the provision for the sub woofer eh?
Old 9th January 2024, 10:48   #12
BHPian

Finally! A relevant thread with quality content!
Absolutely love the research and effort went into doing the mods. This thread should serve as a map for Ecosport owners willing to go that extra mile.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 12:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Amazing!

Looking at the angle grinder I immediately realized 'evano namma paiyan tha' :-) bro. ("Hamara hi koi bandha hai")

Could you share the ADAS project costs? Just curious. I know the Ford Blind Spot Radar in the F150 is a very expensive part along with the front radar, Insurance companies in dubai hate any frontal or rear side swipes. Garages love the labor they earn from resetting the ADAS system. It is a highly skilled job.

I did not see any mention of the BCM - Body Control Module. Just wanted to understand if that item is not needed in the Ecosport to integrate ADAS into the Speedo Console?
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 13:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
It's amazing what you have been able to do with your Ecosport.

I can't imagine the effort into getting the parts, the trial and error and figuring out how to make it all work. All these parts you have sourced are used parts or brand new ?

How does the B&O system sound, especially in comparison to the other branded systems in the Tata's & Hyundai's ?
Thank you so much !
Indeed it take huge effort and its not one week or month effort. I was studying the compatibility for longtime before deploying them. I am not an accessory shop guy who usually fit the aftermarket parts of unknow quality and functionality. Basically I am automotive professional worked across different components R&D , that really paved the way for me to asses the compatibility. i have technical points from my experience thus i could correctly identify the exact parts associated and software logics. I am not guy who just works on something Blindly.
The parts associated are carried over from the Ecosport Platform siblings like Puma/Fiesta etc. it can be either new or used(not very old), there are no single aftermarket parts associated to question about the safety here. things wont work if the safety criteria are not met so nothing is cake walk here. the software is totally configurable. in one word everything is "stock", i was not doing it at a trial and error method actually.

Regarding B&O, its again a stock audio, i will be posting another post about that in details. The sound quality for a stock system is amazing when combined with Beosonic Enhancement. as the stock system is integrated, the DSP takes care the required system sound levels and parking tones to the appropriate levels unlike the aftermarket system with boosted volume levels and glitches. Overall its one of the best when compare to other stock audio systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
While the changes and effort is really commendable both at a technical and DIY level, this is a potential safety hazard as these are not any simple add-ons, but which influence vehicle dynamics actively. From the RTO POV- are these modifications allowed, and can such a vehicle be driven on public roads?
Please read my above comments. everything is stock and under ford standards, there are no addition of invalidated software codes added unlike the illegal engine tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Amazing mods

Is the digital odometer easily available and configurable ? If yes, please can you share the cost, thanks.

The stock speakers of the EcoSport are paper cones. I upgraded the speakers soon after taking delivery to Infinity dual cones. Kept the original tweeters. The sound has improved a lot.
Digital cluster is totally configurable one for any ford vehicle which uses the same platform, still i can adopt to other ford vehicle using custom CAN device.
if you can change the speakers you can expect some quality improvements. advice you to do some minimal damping to avoid door pad vibrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
This is taking DIY to god mode! I can only imagine the sheer pleasure you enjoy driving the most unique ES in the country.
Thank you so much. its more towards safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
@jhenu,

Wonderful mods. The digital instrument cluster is classy.

I am interested in USB type C port installation. Can you please share more details on how to procure them and is this something can be fitted to any existing old usb other type ports?
Pls send a PM I will share with you the details. the parts should be imported from wherever ford made it available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Fantastic mate. You are tempting me and possibility others to empty their pockets!

Would like to know more about the audio upgrade though. The Indian EcoSport has the provision for the sub woofer eh?
It took lot of efforts, Time and money obviously. B&O is a stock system ford made B&O without Beosonic in ES, so i have to make the correct harness and parts integration. the boot already designed to have this subwoofer i shown here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Amazing!

Looking at the angle grinder I immediately realized 'evano namma paiyan tha' :-) bro. ("Hamara hi koi bandha hai")

Could you share the ADAS project costs? Just curious. I know the Ford Blind Spot Radar in the F150 is a very expensive part along with the front radar, Insurance companies in dubai hate any frontal or rear side swipes. Garages love the labor they earn from resetting the ADAS system. It is a highly skilled job.

I did not see any mention of the BCM - Body Control Module. Just wanted to understand if that item is not needed in the Ecosport to integrate ADAS into the Speedo Console?
Cannot share more details here as the topic is vast. Just PM i will try to share the details. The BCM, PCM is stock in terms of software and hardware it already supports ADAS.so just imagine about the ford's design. And sorry i am not faimilar with Hindi.

Last edited by jhenu : 9th January 2024 at 13:40.
jhenu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 15:28   #15
BHPian

Awesome! The things you do keeps people interested in Ecosport even though Ford wasn't ready to. Who knows? Ford might even pick up this idea to make the Ecosport more interesting when they eventually come back. Great work!
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks