Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2023, 00:03   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Thar DIY | Fixing the wobbling battery tray

This DIY pertains to addressing the issue of a wobbling plastic battery tray, which, as a result of vibrations or movement, leads to the gradual wearing down of clear coat.

These are the photos of freshly painted battery tray and you can see the scuff marks in the clear coat just within 2 days.

Mahindra Thar DIY | Fixing the wobbling battery tray-battery-tray-without-markings.jpg

Mahindra Thar DIY | Fixing the wobbling battery tray-tray-markings-2.jpg

Mahindra Thar DIY | Fixing the wobbling battery tray-tray-markings.jpg

I still cannot figure out how with such a heavy battery and tightened clamps can plastic tray move and wear it down.

Anyway, the solution which I am hopeful would work is adding in some foam pads which should arrest this issue and hopefully prevent any future rusting spot here.

Mahindra Thar DIY | Fixing the wobbling battery tray-foam.jpg

Mahindra Thar DIY | Fixing the wobbling battery tray-foam-2.jpg

Additionally, please make sure to insert the tray with locks in position with respect to metal bottom. If you have ever removed this plate for cleaning or any other purpose then there are definite chances of this being loose. Fix it asap.

Mahindra Thar DIY | Fixing the wobbling battery tray-plastic-tray.jpg

After the locks are in place do check again whether it moves or not. Ideally, it should not unless the locks itself are broken.

This is one of the first and common places where rust starts from, please make sure to keep it clean and devoid of acid spillage.

I know I'm being a little paranoid about this but actually this metal plate is welded on to the frame. It cannot be removed by screws. Only way is to cut it from the frame. In case rust starts here, it would be a serious headache. Considering the craftsmanship of mechanics in authorised workshops, it is completely sensible to arrest it here itself.

That's all folks. Thank you for reading! Hope it helps.
batish is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 08:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra Thar DIY | Fixing the wobbling battery tray

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 15:46   #3
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar DIY | Fixing the wobbling battery tray

Good stuff. I'll definitely check mine and report back.
Old 15th September 2023, 20:11   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

@batish

I don't know what you are trying to prevent with these foam strips.

Battery will continue to wobble if it is not tightened to the frame.

I am having an 85 Ah battery on my car, and was facing a similar issue.

While driving, the stereo will get disconnected and reconnected. The issue was with a wobbling battery.

The fix was not foam (this will do nothing to a >10 kg battery), it was a spare charger. I tried many things, but charger was just the optimum size I was looking for.
Push the mobile charger between the walls of the battery case and the battery in such a way that battery does not get any space to move further on bumpy roads.

One more thing, do not worry about scuff marks and spend no time in getting the tray repainted. You are doing more harm to the electronics and central locking codes etc. by removing the battery frequently.

It is a rough and tough car, some rust on such parts are expected and unavoidable.
Old 17th September 2023, 10:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I don't know what you are trying to prevent with these foam strips.
Scuff marks on paint and most importantly, RUST.

Quote:
Battery will continue to wobble if it is not tightened to the frame.
Even after tightening I faced this issue.

Quote:
While driving, the stereo will get disconnected and reconnected. The issue was with a wobbling battery.
This isn't wobbling battery, it happens when terminals are loose. If they are not tightened properly then whenever it wobbles, it looses connection. If terminals are tightened and battery wobbles, you won't even know the rattle of battery.

Quote:
The fix was not foam (this will do nothing to a >10 kg battery), it was a spare charger. I tried many things, but charger was just the optimum size I was looking for.

Push the mobile charger between the walls of the battery case and the battery in such a way that battery does not get any space to move further on bumpy roads.
Spare charger? Didn't get what you meant by this.

It isn't the battery sir which is causing the scuff marks, it is the plastic tray beneath the battery which leads to this.

Quote:
One more thing, do not worry about scuff marks and spend no time in getting the tray repainted. You are doing more harm to the electronics and central locking codes etc. by removing the battery frequently.

It is a rough and tough car, some rust on such parts are expected and unavoidable.
I just don't want even an iota of rust on parts which are directly on the frame. Have seen rust once and experienced the pain which it comes with. Even after the repair it wasn't the same as it was earlier.

I plan to arrest it as soon I see anything related to it. Paint stripping away was the first step.

I try to keep it safe as humanly possible.
Old 17th September 2023, 11:51   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Spare charger? Didn't get what you meant by this.
I am attaching an image of the battery tray, the charger is placed in such a way that the movement of battery is restricted.

I think that you don't need to address this minor anomaly further, but if foam doesn't work, you may try teflon coating or placing a thick peice of something like a yoga mat instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar DIY | Fixing the wobbling battery tray-img_55282.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks