Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2023, 12:18   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: A Parking Fuse

Another idea.. Hang a thin rope from the ceiling which is positioned right where your ORVM should be when in the proper parking spot. The thread touches the ORVM and you stop. It can be anchored with some soft weight so it don't move so much and a sticker can also be attached at head height so that people don't pull it or something. Or is this too outrageous?

Edit: Okay, I didn't see the ball idea above. Almost same thing.

Last edited by unoczar : 11th August 2023 at 12:19. Reason: Edit.
Old 11th August 2023, 12:22   #17
BHPian

Always found it best to reverse into my parking.

Also, suggest you consider hanging a tennis ball suspended from the ceiling such that it touches the windscreen to indicate the max limit.

Seal those pipes from the bottom and fill them with sand so they don't sway with strong winds or break easily.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 12:22   #18
BHPian

That has to be the best thing I have read on TeamBHP in a long time.
We really need to normalise DIY rather than calling someone to build it for you!
Old 11th August 2023, 12:36   #19
BHPian

Love the amount of thought and the actual math you brought out to come up with a true DIY solution.
Old 11th August 2023, 12:38   #20

Wow ,great ideas !
btw, I too had a tight parking place and my Neighbour car door hits at times (when they are in hurry/angry. ��).
My parking place is little sloped parking spot where I am at the downside of the slope. Since the neighbor parking slot is on upper slope, whenever the door is opened in rush, it hits my car door. Appreciate any good ideas to prevent this, TIA!
Old 11th August 2023, 12:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post
Little off topic, but similar thing in an aviation scenario.
Back in nineties I used to flying the Boeing747. We regularly did charters for Haj pilgrims to Jeddah. I don't know today but those days we used to park very very close to the terminal. First time I went there the guy guiding us in showed me a tennis ball and pointed up at windscreen.
Sure enough as I rolled in I saw this bright rubber ball hanging at eye height. So we rolled and stopped when it touched the windscreen.
Got down and inspected the clearances. Sure enough my nose was about 3 to 4 ft away from the wall!!
Amazing. Think of the size of a Jumbo .
Amukherjea is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 12:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse View Post

DIY: A Parking Fuse

This is a story of a DIY done to enhance our parking experience at home – sharing a solution of a very “first-world” problem, in case it provides joy to any other member to do a weekend DIY themselves. This is a DIY which helped me make it easy to park our cars with very tight clearances, everyday, without risk of bumping our own car - causing ourselves double loss.
Simple and good jugad. I am assuming that feasibility of the gate opening outside has been explored and not possible, otherwise that would have been the simplest solution.
sudhirjaipur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 12:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukherjea View Post
Little off topic, but similar thing in an aviation scenario.
Back in nineties I used to flying the Boeing747. We regularly did charters for Haj pilgrims to Jeddah. I don't know today but those days we used to park very very close to the terminal. First time I went there the guy guiding us in showed me a tennis ball and pointed up at windscreen.
Sure enough as I rolled in I saw this bright rubber ball hanging at eye height. So we rolled and stopped when it touched the windscreen.
Got down and inspected the clearances. Sure enough my nose was about 3 to 4 ft away from the wall!!
Amazing. Think of the size of a Jumbo .
I did this in my daughters garage in the US when I was visiting her a couple of years back, this is really great.
Old 11th August 2023, 12:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I immediately thought of this game I bought for my son. Same solution, I'd think.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: A Parking Fuse-screenshot_202308111254292.png  

mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 13:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Because this is something we do everyday, the probability that we get at least one incident in a year is quite high. Toss a dice a hundred times, you’re almost certain to get a 6 atleast once. The below math shows that even with a 0.5% chance of an accident in one parking event, the chances that we have atleast one accident in a year is 83%.
Hi, I'd like to convey kudos on the math (learnt something), and the solution, which is so simple, tech free and elegant. Would not the only point of failure be when the person who parks first forgets to position the device?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th August 2023 at 15:45. Reason: Quote box fixed
Warlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 13:13   #26
BHPian

Hey, that's actually a pretty cool idea! Your solution for dealing with the parking issue is quite clever and creative. It shows how thinking outside the box can make life a lot easier and less hectic. Nice job!
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 15:58   #27
BHPian

Parking both cars in reverse direction will also help, provided both cars have rear cameras.
we can draw some line on floor which can be seen from rear camera to back till limit.
the one who comes late just uses rear camera to park as close as possible
pravint is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 16:28   #28
BANNED

Quote:

DIY: A Parking Fuse

This is a story of a DIY done to enhance our parking experience at home – sharing a solution of a very “first-world” problem
A wonderful low cost idea well executed.

You can also think of changing your gates to sliding ones (Or the flip folding) if the space permits. That will provide further more space which is being taken by the swinging gates.
UD17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 17:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you can add some wheels also at the bottom - you won't have to lift and place it each time.

You could also stick some foam around the place where it touches the bumpers for that extra bit of protection!
Old 11th August 2023, 18:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thats lovely! it can come in use to hang car cleaning towels as well
i would have made a permanent cement like bump at the exact spot where city stops, but this one looks better.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks