Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2023, 12:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change

This is an Australian Spec 07 Camry with a 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder engine, which was the exact same engine sold in India but at a lower state of tune(20 Bhp less). Anyways I thought of doing an oil change on my Camry and as usual doing a DIY tutorial on that as well.

Things needed

1) 14 mm spanner

2) Funnel ( to pour in new oil )

3) Container ( to catch old oil )

4) Ramp or Jack

5) Engine oil Filter - Part # 90915-YZZE2

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-2.jpg

6) Air Filter - Part # 17801-28030

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-1.jpg

7) Engine oil - 10W30 SM/SN/SP - This is for cooler climate, you might want to choose one which is more suitable for our warmer Indian climate.

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-3.jpg

8) Drain Bolt Washer

STEP 1 : Lift passenger side of car with jack and place on a jack stand. Make sure to use a stopper on the back tyre so that your car does not roll backwards. I had a ramp , so I just drove the passenger front side over the ramp and placed a stopper on the rear tyre.

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-4.jpg

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-5.jpg

STEP 2 : Remove drain bolt and washer

Slide under the car , exactly under the driver side and you will see the oil drain bolt. Just use the 14 mm spanner to remove the old drain bolt in counter clockwise direction and use the plastic container to catch the old oil which drains out.

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-6.jpg

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-7.jpg

STEP 3 : Remove Engine Oil Filter

Just before the engine oil pan you can find the engine oil filter. Usually I would use a special engine oil filter removal tool. But thankfully in the last service , the oil filter was just tightened enough so that I could remove it by hand. Now what the last service center did was the right thing to do. You do not need to overtighten the oil filter. Always tighten it enough so that You are able to remove it by hand the next time you do the service.

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-8.jpg

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-9.jpg

STEP 4 : Re-install the oil filter and drain bolt.

Use some new engine oil to lubricate the Oil filter Gasket and drain bolt. Then install the oil filter back in the counter clockwise direction. Do not over tighten the oil filter. Tighten it just enough to remove it by hand easily the next time you do service.

Install the washer on the drain bolt and screw it back in place as well. This bolt can be tightened a bit harder.

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-10.jpg

STEP 5 : Pour in new engine oil.

I am using Toyota's OEM mineral engine oil. I prefer fully synthetic but couldn't find one in the manufacturer recommended spec which is 10W 30 SM/SN/SP. Use a funnel to pour in exactly 4.3 liters on engine oil.

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-11.jpg

STEP 6 : Final Check

Get the car off the ramps. Start the car , idle for 5-7 minutes and take it out for a spin. Bring the car back , park on level ground and stop the engine. Then check the oil dip stick. If the oil level is between min. and max mark, it means you have the right level of engine oil. If no leaks under the engine , it's another job well done.

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-12.jpg

STEP 7 : Air Filter Replacement

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-13.jpg

The air filter just sits on the right side of the engine. To open the air filter cover you have to unscrew 2 x 10mm bolts. Then just remove the cover and replace the air filter with the new one.

DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change-14.jpg

For those of you who want to watch the DIY vlog can watch it below here

stanjohn123 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 22:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change

Good job. A few additional thoughts.

Best drain the oil when warm! You will get more old oil out.

It helps to add oil into the filter before installing it. Obviously, when it sits vertically you can fill it completely, if horizontally, about half. Filling it prior to installing ensures better lubrication during the first start up.

Not sure why you idle the engine for five minute?

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 18:14   #3
BHPian

Re: DIY: Toyota Camry Oil Change

Experts, I need to get my confusion clear on a little extra task while engine oil change.

What will happen if below mentioned task will be performed after draining the old oil and removing the filter.

Fix both the rear/ front wheels (dead axle) by any measure to avoid rolling of car, lifting one wheel of drive axle by jack, engage the top gear and rotate the lifted wheel by hand.

Won’t this action will clean out more old oil via filter and bottom opening, which lays in different passages in engine?

I am asking this because in my Thar Di owner's manual says oil change quantity to be 7.5 L but it get full only in 6.0 L.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks