Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2023, 09:04   #16

Re: DIY: Badge De-Chrome with black rubber paint (Mahindra Thar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I got all the chrome bits painted gloss piano black on my VW. Did the Alloys as well. Gives the vehicle a sedate look.
Peelable paint is a good option for small areas though.
Congratulations!!

How much did it cost you? I am also looking forward to dechrome my Kushaq.
Nazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 19:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice job! Did you have trouble peeling off the overspray? I had de-chromed my Cedia back in 2016 using Peelcoat. I first attempted to spray the badges as is, but the finish wasn't good. So I removed them, sprayed & refixed them.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Badge De-Chrome with black rubber paint (Mahindra Thar)-img20160327wa0002.jpeg  

DIY: Badge De-Chrome with black rubber paint (Mahindra Thar)-img_20160408_144902.jpg  

DIY: Badge De-Chrome with black rubber paint (Mahindra Thar)-img_20160327_152113.jpg  

DIY: Badge De-Chrome with black rubber paint (Mahindra Thar)-img_20160327_173707.jpg  

DIY: Badge De-Chrome with black rubber paint (Mahindra Thar)-img_20160408_085523.jpg  

DIY: Badge De-Chrome with black rubber paint (Mahindra Thar)-img_20160327_161356.jpg  

schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 10:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi Fujiwara View Post
...how has the rubber paint been holding up? Does it just come off or scratch away overtime?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaj View Post
I did it for my harrier emblems few months ago with Plasti-dip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA-G13B View Post
....but all workshops near me gave outlandish quotes in the ~Rs.4000 range!
The idea is great. I was reading through the product descriptions completely and it says the paint has a life span of only 3 months! 1110 INR for a 3 months life seems not worthy to me.
Old 6th April 2023, 11:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
The idea is great. I was reading through the product descriptions completely and it says the paint has a life span of only 3 months! 1110 INR for a 3 months life seems not worthy to me.
I understand. But I tried it myself on my i20 N line in order to dechrome the logos, and I must say, it is holding up pretty well so far. I daily drive the car, no nicks, peel-offs or scratches just yet. Its only been 2 months, but the way it has been holding up is certainly confidence inspiring! Haha.
Takumi Fujiwara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 14:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoom View Post
Thanks for the response. Indeed my next stop is going to the FNG paint shop this weekend to check how much he charges for the bonnet re-paint otherwise shall order the paint cans and go ahead with this DIY.
Did you end up getting this done? If yes, some pictures would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazy View Post
Congratulations!!
How much did it cost you? I am also looking forward to dechrome my Kushaq.
The paint can was around 1000 if I remember correctly. Apart from that, whatever your own time is worth

Quote:
5 Months in, and it looks as good as the day I painted it. Pressure washed every 15 days too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Nice job! Did you have trouble peeling off the overspray? I had de-chromed my Cedia back in 2016 using Peelcoat. I first attempted to spray the badges as is, but the finish wasn't good. So I removed them, sprayed & refixed them.
Not at all. Since it's essentially rubber, it just 'rubbed' off with my fingers going back and forth on it. It's honestly surprising that this product isn't more widely used for DIY paint jobs.
SA-G13B is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 17:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Did you end up getting this done? If yes, some pictures would be great!

Actually got it done at the FNG itself. It's been sometime now but I think for about 11- 12k he did the denting and painting work for the Driver door, right side front fender, rear fenders on both sides, front bumper plus the driver side A-pillar and all 5 wheels in Matt black. Post thinking of the DIY one of the days something fell from someone's house and dented my A-pillar and so moved from DIY to a full denting painting work at the FNG.

Thanks,
Mayank

Last edited by zadoom : 9th August 2023 at 17:19. Reason: added a missed point
zadoom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 12:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
5 Months in, and it looks as good as the day I painted it. Pressure washed every 15 days too.

Whoa! I did not expect you to come back and update us about this! Thank you so much! This gives me some confidence to go apply this as I've been itching to dechrome the badges on my car.
Old 11th September 2023, 13:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! I did not expect you to come back and update us about this! Thank you so much! This gives me some confidence to go apply this as I've been itching to dechrome the badges on my car.
You should absolutely try it. If you're not happy with the end result, you could always just peel it off
SA-G13B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 14:56   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaj View Post
I did it for my harrier emblems few months ago with Plasti-dip.
Link to the product please? How has it held up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
What paint did you use after removing the badges? Looks great.

Quote:

So, if you could have removed the badges would you have still used this peel paint or something else? I need to paint something that is removable. Not car related but chrome. What would you suggest?

Last edited by nidhikapoor : 10th November 2023 at 15:00.
Old 13th November 2023, 15:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Link to the product please? How has it held up?
Link to get it from Amazon https://www.amazon.in/Performix-1120.../dp/B0006SU3QW. I got 3 units from USA some 5 years ago for my Swift bumpers. Far cheaper there. It was not available in India then. I would opt for cheaper and identical ones here.

It did look so good until 6 months. Later it got worn out and some scraping at sharp corners in the emblem made it peel off a bit here and there. I had to re-apply with touch ups to cover the exposed chrome emblem. Even if it is 2/3mm exposure, it was visible due to reflection and contrast to the surroundings. It's not a permanent or fool-proof solution. More of a hobby application.

If you are looking for a zero maintenance, permanent solution, Its better to remove the emblems, de-chrome and get your color painted. If you are good with periodic maintenance and touchups, using Plast-dip kind works. Will post some pics in a day or two.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 13th November 2023 at 15:25. Reason: Broken quotes, thanks.
Old 27th March 2024, 22:03   #26

Quote:
Gave the emblems a good wipe after the peel, took a few steps back, and enjoyed the fruit of my effort!

And now, it’s time for you to enjoy the fruit, for reading through this post! Enjoy!

Attachment 2423934
Attachment 2423935
Attachment 2423936

Hope you guys liked this DIY

MODS: Could not find a thread on DeChroming badges at home with Rubber Spray paint! Please feel free to move to the relevant thread/forum, if needed. You guys rock!

-SA-G13B
I just loved this idea. Now that we have a lot left in the spray can _ I have a better use to it. The silencer underneath, always the rusty part. I suggest WD40 or Zorrick and then once it dries off - use this product for that Black Look. and if you still have some left dont ignore your neighbours car

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th March 2024 at 22:26. Reason: trimming the quoted post for better readability
Old 1st April 2024, 14:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
So, if you could have removed the badges would you have still used this peel paint or something else? I need to paint something that is removable. Not car related but chrome. What would you suggest?
I know this is a late reply, but I'm a DIY guy. If I had to paint the removable part, i'd use this paint too! Since it's easy to use, and if you mess it up, reversing the damage is as easy as peeling it off. With that sense of security, it gives me confidence to mess around in the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashiee View Post
I just loved this idea. Now that we have a lot left in the spray can _ I have a better use to it. The silencer underneath, always the rusty part. I suggest WD40 or Zorrick and then once it dries off - use this product for that Black Look. and if you still have some left dont ignore your neighbours car
I'm not sure I'd want to use this on the silencer, since the rubber paint is definitely not high-temp resistive. But neighbor's car could definitely do with this treatment
Old 1st May 2024, 20:44   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I got all the chrome bits painted gloss piano black on my VW. Did the Alloys as well. Gives the vehicle a sedate look.
Peelable paint is a good option for small areas though.
Hey did you have to remove the alloys before painting over it or while they were still fixed on?

My cars paint is chipping off on the bonnet, do I need to peel off the paint before applying this or even a regular spray paint?

Something like this one https://www.amazon.in/Spray-Paint-Black-Matt-450/dp/B096ZRXJCF?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Can it be applied on the front grill of a Creta as well? I too would like to dechrome my car but am not too sure of how to remove them, infact same question for the front grill, do I need to remove it from the car before spraying over it

Been looking around for all options including wrapping the bonnet or similar solutions, but would definitely love to give DIY a good try before going to the FNG for the same
Old 2nd May 2024, 21:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrishdrives View Post

Been looking around for all options including wrapping the bonnet or similar solutions, but would definitely love to give DIY a good try before going to the FNG for the same
Everything was painted the professional way in a paint booth. Every part was removed and properly prepared for paint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks