Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2023, 18:18   #1
BHPian

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY

What is life without some DIY? I find stuff to DIY everywhere I look. Be it the cars, the home, or other痴 property! I致e been inspired to do so by living in England for a whole chunk of my life, where having a well-stocked garage full of tools and car detailing equipment is the norm.
I致e managed to find time to DIY in India as well, even in a super busy professional life as a urologist and laparoscopic surgeon.

To add to my garage, a Tiago petrol AMT was chosen last Diwali. This was to fill up the void left behind by the most favourite car of mine- a 2009 Jazz. It met its end with a write-off accident 2 years ago.

The Tiago, although the top variant, was lacking many creature comforts like an auto-dimming IRVM, armrest, parcel tray strings, parking sensors, ambient lights, ventilated seats, massage seats, and heated seats.
The DIYer in me was ready to rumble! This car inspired me to start recording and uploading to YouTube. Before this, I was writing up threads on TeamBHP exclusively but now I am going to do both.

This particular thread is going to focus on a compilation of brief summaries of possible mods and how to do them.

I will start with the most recent modification which is an auto-dimming IRVM from the 4th gen Honda City. A similar mod was done on my wife痴 Ciaz over a year ago and I had written a detailed thread on it:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...rs-6500-a.html (Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500)

This thread and two more previously took the internet by storm!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...uti-swift.html (DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift)

The unbelievable cost of Rs. 422 on Boodmo soon became a few thousand rupees due to overdemand.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-76400t4rj11-12566131/

I wanted the exact same mirror for my Tiago but no way in hell was I paying Rs. 7000 for it. Enter Vineet from Kar DIY. He managed to source this part for Rs. 2300 in Gurugram and I bought two. One was shipped to Ashton Castelino in Karnataka for his future plans on his parent痴 car. Do check out his YouTube channel and similar TeamBHP handle. He does much more, and professional work on cars!

Unfortunately, the installation wasn稚 a part swap like on the Ciaz, as the mounting bracket/button wasn稚 the same. I had to source one of those two and paste it onto the windscreen. Araldite worked well. It is holding up strong and mind you, the mirror isn稚 lightweight.

The Tata original accessory kit for an auto-dimming IRVM contains a mount adapter. This is near impossible to source separately in the aftermarket and hence I had to resort to a separate pasting of a mount button.
Vineet from Kar DIY has the adapter from his original kit from TATA. After some three-way discussion with Ashton and Vineet from Kar DIY we致e figured out a solution- to engineer it on our own. Either 3D printing or milling it from aluminium. This is a work in progress somewhere in Bengaluru and if it works, it will be produced in batches of 50-100! What a saver!

The rest of it was standard installation. Using a mini fuse tap for the positive piggyback in the fuse box and a wire thimble to the chassis bolt for the negative/neutral.

A mini-type fuse tap was again sourced from Nexdigitron, as did I for the micro type for the Ciaz. Unfortunately, you have to buy a pair.

https://www.nexdigitron.com/products...pr_seq=uniform

Please go through these self-explanatory photos for more clarity. Also, this YouTube upload is on the same.

Attached Thumbnails
Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230213_135811.jpg  

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230212_105630.jpg  

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230213_171933.jpg  

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230213_170911.jpg  

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230213_163600.jpg  

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230213_163604.jpg  

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230213_171414.jpg  

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230213_173811.jpg  

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230213_171718.jpg  

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230208_182353.jpg  

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_20230208_182359.jpg  

Last edited by lemedico : 15th February 2023 at 18:32. Reason: changed title
lemedico is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 18:27   #2
BHPian

Re: I知 addicted to DIY- Honey, I did it again!

Parcel tray strings on the Tiago for Rs. 8!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...-cars-too.html (Adding parcel tray strings to a Tiago for Rs. 8 | This method would work for other cars too)

The most amazing mod to my Tiago- Front armrest installation for Rs. 1800:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ata-tiago.html (DIY: Armrest installation for Rs. 1800 (Tata Tiago))

Bootlamp for the Tiago

Ventilated seat:

Massage and heated seat:

Reverse parking sensor installation:

Last edited by lemedico : 15th February 2023 at 18:30. Reason: added more content
lemedico is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 12:50   #3
BHPian

Re: Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY

Amazing stuff my friend. Killer DIY's, absolutely love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
What is life without some DIY? I find stuff to DIY everywhere I look. Be it the cars, the home, or other痴 property! I致e been inspired to do so by living in England for a whole chunk of my life, where having a well-stocked garage full of tools and car detailing equipment is the norm.
I can relate 100% having been brought up in England too. In fact, I absolutely detest having others do work for me, only love doing it myself.

Quote:
The Tata original accessory kit for an auto-dimming IRVM contains a mount adapter. This is near impossible to source separately in the aftermarket and hence I had to resort to a separate pasting of a mount button.
Vineet from Kar DIY has the adapter from his original kit from TATA. After some three-way discussion with Ashton and Vineet from Kar DIY we致e figured out a solution- to engineer it on our own. Either 3D printing or milling it from aluminium. This is a work in progress somewhere in Bengaluru and if it works, it will be produced in batches of 50-100! What a saver!
This is the icing on the top! When you are able to get these done please do let me know. Would love to know how to purchase them.

Thanks again, 5 star thread.
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 13:27   #4
BHPian

Excellent DIY thread. Your car's seats might be as comfortable as a sofa.
I love DIY threads as I get to learn a lot of new things which I try to do on my car.
dolphinjazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 16:52   #5
BHPian

Thanks for sharing and really surprised at the prices. Will trouble you when I purchase my new car. (still driving 19 year old Baleno sedan)
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 16:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Amazing stuff my friend. Killer DIY's, absolutely love them.

I can relate 100% having been brought up in England too. In fact, I absolutely detest having others do work for me, only love doing it myself.

This is the icing on the top! When you are able to get these done please do let me know. Would love to know how to purchase them.

Thanks again, 5 star thread.
thanks for the appreciation mate! I too am looking forward to seeing those adapters being made, i'll keep you posted if and when they are done

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinjazz View Post
Excellent DIY thread. Your car's seats might be as comfortable as a sofa.
I love DIY threads as I get to learn a lot of new things which I try to do on my car.
haha they are comfortable indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
Thanks for sharing and really surprised at the prices. Will trouble you when I purchase my new car. (still driving 19 year old Baleno sedan)
absolutely mate, happy to help!
lemedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 20:52   #7
BHPian

Presenting two more DIY demonstrations on my cars!

My Tiago XZA+ does not come with a rear 12v power outlet. So what does a DIYer do? He only gone and dunnit!

This cost me Rs. 500 in total, 300 for the part, 150 for the fuse tap and 50 for some wiring.

This DIY is a simple one, adding a grab handle/Jesus handle to my Ciaz, on the driver's side. Rs. 150

lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 12:35   #8

Quote:

I will start with the most recent modification which is an auto-dimming IRVM from the 4th gen Honda City. A similar mod was done on my wife痴 Ciaz over a year ago and I had written a detailed thread on it:
Hi Lemedico, can you please help me with my problem of trying to fit an auto dimming IRVM on my 2016 Camry? I have managed to source an old piece from a local mechanic shop. The mirror is from a Corolla altis but I am unable to identify the wiring on it. Not able to figure out the live and neutral in the 5 pin adapter. I'll attach some photos here for your better understanding.

The electrician at the workshop did try to identify and ended shorting one of the pre used mirrors.

It would be of great help if I can figure out the wires to proceed with the
project!

The 5 pin female connector

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_4726.jpg

5 Different colored wires

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_4725.jpg

Shorted mirror because of the wrong wiring.

Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-img_4727.jpg
Old 17th August 2023, 15:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardul_pathak View Post
Hi Lemedico, can you please help me with my problem of trying to fit an auto dimming IRVM on my 2016 Camry? I have managed to source an old piece from a local mechanic shop. The mirror is from a Corolla altis but I am unable to identify the wiring on it. Not able to figure out the live and neutral in the 5 pin adapter. I'll attach some photos here for your better understanding.

The electrician at the workshop did try to identify and ended shorting one of the pre used mirrors.
From the pictures - it seems like the standard generic 5 pin ECM that used to be readily available on AliExpress, and it / its original equivalent is also used by the likes of Maruti and many more (maybe Toyota also) as factory fit equipment.

If that indeed is true - then you should try 3 wires out of the 5 (and 2 will be left unused). Of course - I'm just guessing here based on the visible coupler and overall ECM construction.

In the image - I'm not able to clearly see the colour of wires in the connector. Could you mention those / paste another picture with clearer wiring colours? I think there are 2 possible combinations that I think you'll need to try as a 1st attempt (technically 2nd).

Option 1 -
  1. Green - To the ACC/IGN Fuse for +12V Power
  2. Red - To the reverse camera input signal / reverse lamp (To disable dimming when in reverse gear)
  3. Black - Universally, always Ground/GND.

Option 2 -
  1. Red - To the ACC/IGN Fuse for +12V Power
  2. Green - To the reverse camera input signal / reverse lamp (To disable dimming when in reverse gear)

For starter - you can ignore the reverse signal - and just use a +12V and GND wiring to test the mirror.
To be honest - I'm not able to think of a scenario by which just a +12V/GND test could go so wrong to actually render the ECM damaged. Wonder if a pair was shorted accidentally.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 16:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
From the pictures - it seems like the standard generic 5 pin ECM that used to be readily available on AliExpress, and it / its original equivalent is also used by the likes of Maruti and many more (maybe Toyota also) as factory fit equipment.

If that indeed is true - then you should try 3 wires out of the 5 (and 2 will be left unused). Of course - I'm just guessing here based on the visible coupler and overall ECM construction.

In the image - I'm not able to clearly see the colour of wires in the connector. Could you mention those / paste another picture with clearer wiring colours? I think there are 2 possible combinations that I think you'll need to try as a 1st attempt (technically 2nd).

Option 1 -
  2. Red - To the reverse camera input signal / reverse lamp (To disable dimming when in reverse gear)

Option 2 -
  2. Green - To the reverse camera input signal / reverse lamp (To disable dimming when in reverse gear)

For starter - you can ignore the reverse signal - and just use a +12V and GND wiring to test the mirror.
To be honest - I'm not able to think of a scenario by which just a +12V/GND test could go so wrong to actually render the ECM damaged. Wonder if a pair was shorted accidentally.
Described very well!
lemedico is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 12:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Option 1 -
Option 2 -
Thank you so much Reinhard for your technical insight! I had asked the workshop to send me some images so the colour of wires was visible. Attaching them here.
Auto-dimming IRVM for Rs. 2500 | I知 addicted to DIY-ed72c14c41f045f7bd87d4f0a603c501.jpg

Can't see a green wire here. Any suggestions with this image?

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks