Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2022, 16:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Mid Pipe Exhaust Replacement

Most of you might have already read the thread where a rodent got into my exhaust pipe and died there. This here is a thread completely on how I replaced the exhaust at home.

After several cancellation's on boodmo, I luckily got an OEM exhaust shipped to me. I don't think Esteem owners will be lucky enough to find OEM spares in the next 2-3 year's so just buy it now when it is possible. It is almost twice the price of the after market exhaust but definitely worth the price and the quality of material and life is also much higher. The previous aftermarket exhaust I purchased lasted only for 6 years , but the OEM one lasted for 11 years.

The video for this DIY can be found here , the rest can continue reading below.

Things Required

1) Mid Pipe Exhaust - https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-pipe...enter-6790209/

2) 4 Exhaust gasket - got it tailor made by my mechanic. It's made up of some cardboard material.

DIY: Mid Pipe Exhaust Replacement-3.jpg

3) Socket Wrench and spanner - sizes 12mm , 13 mm and 9/16 mm.

4) Rubber bush Mounting Muffler - https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-moun...ffler-6790212/

DIY: Mid Pipe Exhaust Replacement-4.jpg

5) 12mm nuts - These are not necessary , you can also clean and reuse your old ones if you want.

Now let's get to the DIY.

STEP 1
: Raise your car and place it on jackstands. You need to be very careful here because an old car like the Esteem is extremely rusty below. Make sure you place the jackstand as well as the hydraulic jack on a strong iron piece free from rust. As there as chances the car may fall on you if you placed the stands on a rusty spot. I placed it on the car's suspension arms.

STEP 2 : Remove the old Exhaust.

First Using the 9/16 mm socket wrench, remove the 2 nuts marked in below pic.

DIY: Mid Pipe Exhaust Replacement-5.jpg

Secondly Remove the bolt holding the exhaust pipe to the rubber bush. Use 12 mm socket wrench for this.

DIY: Mid Pipe Exhaust Replacement-6.jpg

Then remove the bush from the body of the vehicle by using the 13 mm wrench. This step is not necessary if you feel that the bush is in good condition.

Thirdly , remove the 12mm nuts from holding the exhaust to the Muffler.

DIY: Mid Pipe Exhaust Replacement-7.jpg

STEP 3 : Add the gaskets to the new Exhaust. You may need to add 1 or 2 gaskets on either sides of the exhaust depending on the fitting and gaps. This is to prevent Exhaust leaks.

DIY: Mid Pipe Exhaust Replacement-8.jpg

STEP 4 : Fit the new Exhaust in place. Just do the exhaust removal steps in reverse.

That's it. Now just start your engine and try to hear for any exhaust leaks. If you did all the steps correctly, you shouldn't get any leak.

Hope you guys enjoyed this DIY.
stanjohn123 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks