Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:45   #1
BHPian

DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires

DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM in TATA Nexon Without Cutting Wire

If you are someone who drives a lot at night, you can understand how frustrating it is because of the glares from the behind reflecting through the IRVM. It’s like people forget that the car has a low beam option too. I have a TATA Nexon XM(S) which has the basic IRVM without the dimming feature. This is why I changed to a manual dimming IRVM 8 months ago. But now I have decided that I will switch to auto-dimming IRVM. The reason for this change is that auto-dimming IRVM is much more convenient. So, I bought a TATA Nexon Genuine Auto-Dimming IRVM and in this post I will show you step by step how to install it easily.

If you are someone who understands better by watching a video then watch this video

Tools Required

1) Screwdriver set
2) Socket set
3) Wedge Button
4) Grub Screw M4x10mm
5) Mirror Wire Connector
6) Scotch Lock
7) Mini Fuse 5A
8) Single Side Foam Adhesive
9) Cable Tie
10) Auto-Dimming IRVM
11) Plier
12) Pry Tools
13) Allen Key Set
14) Multimeter (optional)
15) Fuse tap
16) Crimping tool

Wiring Diagram

DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires-t-wire-diagram.png

Procedure

1. Pull the IRVM upwards to pull it out of its adapter.

2. Put the wedge button in the adapter.
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires-t-wedge-button.png

3. Use allen key number 2 to screw the grub screw.
(Note: Don’t screw it too tight otherwise you will break the mounting bracket. Do it gently and keep checking if it is tight enough or not.)

4. Take the auto-dimming IRVM and slide it in the wedge button. Make sure the orientation is correct, the button should be on the bottom.

5. Use a T20 Torx screwdriver and screw the screw provided here.
(Note: Make sure you don’t screw it too tight otherwise you will damage the IRVM.)
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires-t-screw-.png

6. Remove the weather strip near A-Pillar and remove the A-Pillar panel.

7. Remove the weather strip near Lower A-Pillar Trim, remove the tree clip just below the bonnet button and remove the Lower A-Pillar Trim.
(Note: Remove it gently as it is held at its place using clips. Using excessive force might break the clips and then you will be unable to put the panel back properly.)
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires-t-tree-clip.png

8. In the manual, there was an error regarding the wiring for Nexon but the wiring matched for Altroz. So, just to be on the safe side, I used a multimeter to check the correct connection point. Put the red terminal of the multimeter in the second slot with black wire and touch the black terminal on the car's body. Engage reverse gear, multimeter should show 12V, this means that this is the correct socket for the connection.
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires-t-socket-connection.png

9. Connect the mirror to the wiring using the given connectors.
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires-t-irvm-connector.png

10. Using the hole in A-Pillar, bring the wire down.

11. Now, we will connect the mirror’s black wire to the main black wire (reverse wire in 34 pin white socket, pin no. 2) we just used in step 8. Put the mirror’s black wire in the scotch lock. Put the scotch lock on the main wire and press it using pliers.
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires-t-scotch-lock.png

(Note: Putting the scotch lock a little further from the socket is a good idea. In case you need to cut any wire you would still have a lot of wire left. I left a gap of 20 mm.)
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires-t-scotch-tool-connecting-socket.png

12. Connect the red wire to the fuse tap using a crimping tool.
Name:  T crimping.png
Views: 1443
Size:  616.3 KB

13. Remove the fuse box Panel.

14. Remove the F12 fuse which is the one used for ignition. Now, put the fuse in the fuse tap and put the fuse tap in the fuse box.
(Note: Push the wire from below so that you can put back the panel.)
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires-t-fuse-box.png

15. Ground the brown wire using the bolt in A-Pillar.
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires-t-ground-bolt.png

16. Push the and the wire and the connector under the roof inner lining.
(Note: Wrap them in the provided foam tape. This will keep them bundled together and prevent them from making any unnecessary noise.)

17. Now, bundle the extra wire together and wrap them together using foam tape and zip ties. Put them in the space provided in the A-Pillar.

18. Put the A-Pillar Panel back.

19. Put the Lower A-Pillar Trim back.

With this your auto-dimming IRVM is good to go.

Last edited by KarDIY : 23rd September 2022 at 20:13.
KarDIY is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 11:53   #2
BHPian

Re: DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM without cutting wires

I have watched your video a few times on YouTube, even before I spotted it on this website. I was looking for help for my new XZA+ Tiago which doesn't have an auto dimming irvm.

You've done a good job! How much did you pay exactly?

I had done a similar mod on my wife's Ciaz some time ago and you bet it cost a bargain at just Rs. 420 for the mirror from a Honda City

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...rs-6500-a.html (Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500)

Unfortunately the part is way too expensive to buy now. Greed economics
lemedico is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 13:53   #3
BHPian

Have been thinking of getting a auto dimming IRVM for my Hexa. Thanks for the instructive and easy to follow video. Guess the TATA IRVM will fit the Hexa.
UD2021 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 14:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarDIY View Post

DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM in TATA Nexon Without Cutting Wire

Hello. I'm planning to gift an auto dimming IRVM to our Grand i10 on its 6th birthday. A friend will assist me during the installation as he had installed a Honda City IRVM in his Gi10 a year ago. Back then, the Honda City IRVM used to cost around 400 bucks. However, now it has become quite costly. How much did the Nexon IRVM cost you? I asked at the Hyundai ASC for a genuine Elite i20 Electrochromic IRVM. They said that the cost of the mirror along with installation charges will go north of 10000 rupees.
TurboKat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 23:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
I have watched your video a few times on YouTube, even before I spotted it on this website. I was looking for help for my new XZA+ Tiago which doesn't have an auto dimming irvm.

You've done a good job! How much did you pay exactly?

I had done a similar mod on my wife's Ciaz some time ago and you bet it cost a bargain at just Rs. 420 for the mirror from a Honda City

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...rs-6500-a.html (Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500)

Unfortunately the part is way too expensive to buy now. Greed economics
Thank you. I spent roughly like 6500 on this project.

Yes I know earlier this Honda city IRVM was available for 420 but now prices increased drastically to 6.5k approximately.

Kindly let me know if you need any help in this DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKat View Post
Hello. I'm planning to gift an auto dimming IRVM to our Grand i10 on its 6th birthday. A friend will assist me during the installation as he had installed a Honda City IRVM in his Gi10 a year ago. Back then, the Honda City IRVM used to cost around 400 bucks. However, now it has become quite costly. How much did the Nexon IRVM cost you? I asked at the Hyundai ASC for a genuine Elite i20 Electrochromic IRVM. They said that the cost of the mirror along with installation charges will go north of 10000 rupees.
Yes that Honda City IRVM was a golden deal for DIYers but I still think that it was wrongly priced by Honda. When it became popular through Team BHP it had drawn Honda's attention and they increased its price.

Nexon Auto Dimming IRVM costed me roughly around 6.5k including installation kit.

I was suggested by one of my subscriber to use Baleno IRVM it costs around 4k, So you can check that option as well. But you have to manage the mounting adapter and wire. There is one TBHPian who installed this IRVM, you can check his post.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-mirr..._view-6788737/

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2021 View Post
Have been thinking of getting a auto dimming IRVM for my Hexa. Thanks for the instructive and easy to follow video. Guess the TATA IRVM will fit the Hexa.
Thank you. I guess all Tata cars have same mounting bracket. But in installation manual hexa is not mentioned. Tiago/Tigor/Nexon/Harrier/Safari are mentioned.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th September 2022 at 07:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged
KarDIY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 08:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarDIY View Post
I was suggested by one of my subscriber to use Baleno IRVM it costs around 4k, So you can check that option as well. But you have to manage the mounting adapter and wire. There is one TBHPian who installed this IRVM, you can check his post.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-mirr..._view-6788737/
Thanks for sending the link. I'll check out the Baleno IRVM once. Is Leoshashi the BHPian you're referring about?
Old 25th September 2022, 11:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKat
Thanks for sending the link. I'll check out the Baleno IRVM once. Is Leoshashi the BHPian you're referring about?
Yes. Leoshashi and car-dent(link below)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...m-s-cross.html (DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross))
Old 27th September 2022, 10:11   #8
BHPian

I enquired at the nearby MGP store about the mirror. They're offering me at 3200 rupees. Will be doing the installation soon. If I find any problem during the process, I'll get in touch with you.
TurboKat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 11:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKat View Post
I enquired at the nearby MGP store about the mirror. They're offering me at 3200 rupees. Will be doing the installation soon. If I find any problem during the process, I'll get in touch with you.
Oh great. Sure I would love to help you out.
KarDIY is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks