Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:05   #31

Re: DIY: Juicing up the Ford EcoSport S with ICE, Front Park, ST-line cluster, steering wheel and AD

This is amazing, hats off to your dedication, I have a ecosport myself let's see how many can I implement on mine.
Once again, thanks for sharing.
Fr3ndZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 14:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: Juicing up the Ford EcoSport S with ICE, Front Park, ST-line cluster, steering wheel and AD

It took me a while to convince myself to get a few mods done on my Ecosport S - the Sync3 ST splash screen, navigation on MID and cornering foglamps.

You are on another planet with the extent of mods done and being planned ! I am glued to this thread and looking forward to the progress and transformation to your car.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:43   #33

What an amazingly detailed part by part upgrades saga. Technical in parts but Wow throughout. Will subscribe to this thread to see more upgrades. Once the upgrade, what do you do with the old parts. Must be a costly affair & holding onto to old parts may not always make sense. Kudos thought, feel proud to even have read this.
vhharan1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 18:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

I would like to know what your diet pattern is! Satya, this is an amalgamation of pure teamwork (loved the part where, dad and son duo) get to sweat the elbow grease, this is passion at its highest. Every word of this article is nothing but sheer poetry of a mind that perhaps is destined to design Bruce Wayne's Bat Cave in another parallel universe. And with your crazy mods, you might eventually end up creating one.

That apart, this is a surgery you've carried to a surgeon's finesse, even better. I am yet to digest what you've condensed here, this is a tall order for me, but an interesting one at that. And I am yet to know what madness this shall put forth with the FGT to the VGT, which I am looking forward to. Should be fun, and why not!

Good luck!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:35   #35
BHPian

my mind is still reeling from this thread. there are tons of modded cars but i doubt any owner has this level of involvement in the process. hats off to u mate.
which is your fav mod btw?
Old 3rd March 2022, 20:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Ford would want to relaunch in India reading your DIY on the Ecosport

One hell of a job, executed perfectly.
Ford knew it but the dirty politics by the erstwhile Ford India Leadership were never interested in replicating these in Indian cars and this was another cause for Ford's downfall. They never took actual constructive customer feedback, cutting useful features every month in the name of cost cutting.

Even the BS6 TDCi Jugaad turned out to be a disaster. Ford should have brought in the1.5 EcoBlue diesel engine and would have turned tables for Ford again like how the original EcoSport did.
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 21:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I can only imagine my 1.5 Figo with 200bhp maybe 250 with even more mods? Guess I'll never know!
That would become the hottest hatch in the country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
...One hell of a job, executed perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSuz View Post
...Kudos to your dedication and willingness to work on your car and do all these mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jothishX View Post
...Thanks for documenting these mods and sharing it with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorya Ramesh View Post
What an amazing thread man!, I'm seriously considering implementing many of your mods to my Ecosport now. Never thought such mods even exist....
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
....The car really looks one of its kind. Thanks for sharing all these details with us.
Thank you for your kind words and appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
How do you plan to certify the active mode ADAS systems for On-road use ? Would it get approved through some ARAI+RTO route ?
I can't certify nor is it my intention to get it certified due to insane bureaucratic hurdles with ARAI, aside from DOT approvals required for radar technologies. ADAS systems like ACC, BLIS and Lane Departure Warning are functionally relegated to non-invasive alerts and auto-interventions are minimal. Human supervision is always required even on certified cars. More so on a manual car like mine where gear changes are needed. Obstacle avoidance technologies like Pre-Collision Alert, Evasive Steering Assist (ESA) and Lane Centering Alert (LCA) are more invasive as they have the power to stop the car abruptly or Change the steering position significantly. I don't intend to use them to their full autonomous potential especially in Indian road conditions. However, PCA can be set to alert only mode in which it anticipates collision and primes the brake system. ESA and LCA are most likely not possible on my car anyways.

Quote:
Would the manufacturers warranty and liability stand? What about insurance ? They may not accept this because this is about safety devices which can impact the occupant and others. I am sure that even certified ADAS systems from OEMs come with a lot of fine-print in terms of disclaimers and liabilities.
Warranty can go for a toss even if you install aftermarket LEDs. There is a difference between an accident that occurred due to ADAS and due to faulty ADAS install. In the second case obviously installer is at fault but for the sake of argument who is going to certify that. In case of accidents due to ADAS, liability is with the driver (for both OEM ADAS and retrofitted ADAS) as manufacturers recommend driver attention. In our country where laws are updated once in a few decades an accident is just an accident, ADAS or not. These are "DRIVER" assist and not a fully autonomous replacement like in a Tesla autopilot. ADAS gives us those precious seconds to avoid putting our loved ones in harms way. I will take that any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
....Here's hoping you find time to keep the mods going on and inspire us even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
....Thank you for helping to retain the t-bhp charm ! That's insane effort & R&D that you put on your machine....
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
....Keep going you brave man! Incredible!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3ndZ View Post
This is amazing, hats off to your dedication, I have a ecosport myself let's see how many can I implement on mine..
Thank you for your kind words. I too hope that I have the strength to go further along this journey. Good luck on your endeavors as well. Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
...interchangeable nature is sadly only true for truly global models I doubt that a car made for India like the Seltos can have any of such deep retrofits done. On the other hand VAG is still a viable candidate but Kushaq, etc MFI products might be questionable.
I think electronics for global manufacturers are more likely to be interchangeable as typically manufacturers try to reduce redundant development, testing and support needed as well as achieve economies of scale. On that note Kushaq may be more suitable candidate as VW stick to their electronic architecture in all their cars. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Kia/Hyundai systems. It was a pain even trying to figure if we can configure my brothers Verna which we gave up eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Raven,

How do you prevent hyper flashing when moving to Led Bulbs instead of halogens?

Do you have link for a Led hyper flashing module?
There is no replaceable LED hyper flashing relay module on the Ecosport like in older cars. Body Control Module (BCM) near the passenger fusebox controls the lighting functions. My aftermarket LED indicators have built-in resistors and CANbus compatible, therefore no hyperflash. You can add inline resistors (6 ohms @ 50 - 60 W should be sufficient) to the indicators or disable the turn indicator bulb outage setting in the BCM configuration using Forscan to remove hyperflash (I haven't tried this but other ford models can be configured this way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
....You are on another planet with the extent of mods done and being planned ! I am glued to this thread and looking forward to the progress and transformation to your car.
Thank you. Once you go down this slippery slope there is no looking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhharan1 View Post
...Once the upgrade, what do you do with the old parts. Must be a costly affair & holding onto to old parts may not always make sense. Kudos thought, feel proud to even have read this.
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, its not easy to keep the parts. I keep them for a few weeks or months until I am sure I don't need them. Factory speakers found a new home in my cousin's WagonR. Fellow ES owners from FB and Hyderabad groups reached out to buy my steering stalks (to replace a broken unit), Steering wheel (many are retrofitting cruise control in lower variants and need the cruise control switches). My old Auto HVAC can be fit into a lower variant with Manual AC to enable climate control (None reached out yet but probably no one knew that). Some like like lights and grills are just useful spares incase anything goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
I would like to know what your diet pattern is! Satya, this is an amalgamation of pure teamwork (loved the part where, dad and son duo) get to sweat the elbow grease, this is passion at its highest. E....And I am yet to know what madness this shall put forth with the FGT to the VGT, which I am looking forward to. Should be fun, and why not!
Good luck!
Thank you for the kind words VJ. Indeed it was nice bonding with my dad and brother while working over the car and would have been very very difficult without them. We always enjoyed it, still enjoy it and hope it remains that way in the future as well. VGT install is challenging from a software POV due to the logic and optimizations required around opening of the VNT vanes which is not present in current ECU. I am studying case studies of people who flashed the logic (N75 map) from other ECUs and those who fit custom controllers. Honestly It's a lot of information to digest through but I am determined to see it to the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine_pepper View Post
my mind is still reeling from this thread. there are tons of modded cars but i doubt any owner has this level of involvement in the process. hats off to u mate.
which is your fav mod btw?
Thank you mate. My fav mod is ICE as am a Musicophile, followed by BLIS. If and when I complete the LKA Camera, that would be second

Last edited by Aditya : 4th March 2022 at 06:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
nightraven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 18:22   #38
BHPian

Awesome job done .. Pl share your complete car video - how it looks and how are the features performing?

You did take the modifications to epitome of possibilities.. madness would be converting it to 4x4 version as of Storm (Brazil edition)
Mickey1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 16:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey1986 View Post
..Pl share your complete car video..Madness would be converting it to 4x4 version as of Storm (Brazil edition)
Thank you Mickey. Unfortunately, I have been away from the car since January and family is busy with sister's wedding. So I do not have any additional videos of the car at the moment. I hope to get BLIS and Front park in action soon.

Converting Ghost into an AWD EcoSport offered in EU, US and Brazil has been on top of my list. It has given me sleepless nights figuring out all components required for the conversion. I have figured out all the parts and suppliers but need to find an economical way to get them shipped from US and UK to India. Madness would be plonking in a bigger 2-liter TDCI engine from the Kuga
nightraven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 00:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraven View Post
Thank you Mickey. Unfortunately, I have been away from the car since January and family is busy with sister's wedding. So I do not have any additional videos of the car at the moment. I hope to get BLIS and Front park in action soon.

Converting Ghost into an AWD EcoSport offered in EU, US and Brazil has been on top of my list. It has given me sleepless nights figuring out all components required for the conversion. I have figured out all the parts and suppliers but need to find an economical way to get them shipped from US and UK to India. Madness would be plonking in a bigger 2-liter TDCI engine from the Kuga
Well yes. That would be like absolute power. Wonder if you can completely turn it into storm. 2.0 will kill anything for that matter and with 4x4 it will be like the best thing one could imagine with Ecosport. On a second thought, would it be possible to check with Ford itself to provide some of the details/ parts as they used to export that 2.0 , 4x4 variant from here only. Not sure if they will cater requests easily though.
Old 26th April 2022, 17:45   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey1986 View Post
Wonder if you can completely turn it into storm. 2.0 will kill anything for that matter and with 4x4 it will be like the best thing one could imagine with Ecosport. On a second thought, would it be possible to check with Ford itself to provide some of the details/ parts as they used to export that 2.0 , 4x4 variant from here only. Not sure if they will cater requests easily though.
I tried with my contact at Ford Chennai plant. Unfortunately it is not possible to directly source the 4x4 components from the plant. May be if they scrapped rejected components, possibly can be sourced from a scrap dealer but chances are slim. 4x4 versions were sold in both 1.0 Ecoboost and 2.0 NA petrol variants in USA as well while Europe had 1.5 Ecoblue diesel version available. I want to retrofit the 2.0 Diesel from the Kuga/Edge.
nightraven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 20:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraven View Post
I tried with my contact at Ford Chennai plant. Unfortunately it is not possible to directly source the 4x4 components from the plant. May be if they scrapped rejected components, possibly can be sourced from a scrap dealer but chances are slim. 4x4 versions were sold in both 1.0 Ecoboost and 2.0 NA petrol variants in USA as well while Europe had 1.5 Ecoblue diesel version available. I want to retrofit the 2.0 Diesel from the Kuga/Edge.
hmm. Let us know your progress on this. This looks like a dream project
Mickey1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 10:20   #43
BHPian

After reading this thread, I am irresistible to buy a pre-owned eco sport and mod it like his car, under his guidance... Sounds crazy right ?

My respect to you brother kudos to your family for tolerating your craze for cars and indeed supporting it with whatever help they can offer
IamYogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 01:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamYogi View Post
After reading this thread, I am irresistible to buy a pre-owned eco sport and mod it like his car, under his guidance... Sounds crazy right ?

My respect to you brother kudos to your family for tolerating your craze for cars and indeed supporting it with whatever help they can offer
Thank you brother. Ecosport is a lovely car to drive if you ever decide to go the pre-owned route. My parents gave up all hope on me. They didn't have a choice but to join me instead
nightraven is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks